Hodgson - Players frustrated (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

Hodgson_2541146.jpg
Reds boss believes players were trying too hard
Roy Hodgson believes Liverpool's players are frustrated their hard work is not translating into positive results.
The Reds' under-fire manager is pleased with his side's desire, commitment, effort and feels they are not getting their rewards.
The Merseysiders were held to a goalless draw in Europa League action on Wednesday by Utrecht, much to Hodgson's frustration.
Liverpool were hoping to bounce back from their defeat at Newcastle and Hodgson is disappointed his fringe players did not take their chance.
However, he could not fault their commitment to the cause and felt, if anything, their desire to impress maybe hindered their performance.

Frustration

"It is most frustrating for them because they want it so much," said Hodgson. "There is no lack of desire, commitment, effort and wanting to do well.
"Where we broke down quite often (against Utrecht) was technically unfortunately.
"We didn't look after the ball enough or produce the right pass and that frustrates players who have first-team potential because they know they are capable of doing it.
"I see these players every day in training and I know some of them will be disappointed they did not take their chance a little bit better but that won't affect me because they will get other chances.
"Sometimes in football you can want things too much. If you don't get a chance on a regular basis and one comes along sometimes your desire to take it can impact negatively on your performance and that might have been the case for one or two.
"Some of the players whose performance could be categorised as a drop off compared to the previous XI will be disappointed to hear that.
"I didn't learn that much more other than that I have a group of players who are prepared to work their socks off for the club and will continue to improve as the season goes on."

Torres

Hodgson was itching to give Fernando Torres a run out against Utrecht and he hopes his decision to keep him on the bench will pay dividends ahead of their weekend clash with Fulham.
"I was seriously thinking he might get 45 minutes and that would be good for his confidence," the 63-year-old admitted.
"Perhaps he doesn't need the confidence boost. That is one of the things I was raking my conscience about.
"I was looking at his (first) 50 Liverpool goals the other day and they are quire incredible.
"I am hoping, by making the decision I did, we will see him come to light in the Premier League on Saturday."

Users who are viewing this thread