If Bidwell wants out....? (1 Viewer)

KersleyDigs

If Bidwell asks to go in January I wonder if Sakamoto will be Dasilva's understudy that side too? Another option I guess might be to recall Burroughs.

I do think Bidwell will leave unless Dasilva picks up an injury and I can't see us convincing a loan to come and sit on the bench. It will be interesting to see what happens...

Briles

If Bidwell asks to go in January I wonder if Sakamoto will be Dasilva's understudy that side too? Another option I guess might be to recall Burroughs.

I do think Bidwell will leave unless Dasilva picks up an injury and I can't see us convincing a loan to come and sit on the bench. It will be interesting to see what happens...

Josh Reid at Ross Country looks a good prospect

Hertsccfc

I am not sure we can recall Burroughs and anyway it's probably better for his development to stay on loan for the full season. I think he'll become a good player and let's not hamper his development.

I think we are adequately covered at wing back and on Saturday's showing I agree Sakamoto would be a better understudy to Dasilva. I doubt Bidwell would want to be third choice or his wages support this so I would not be surprised if he leaves in January. I would imagine another Championship team will take him on, as he can do a reasonable job at this level.

In my view we have massively upgraded the wing back positions this season. This is the only area though where we are stronger than last season.

BlueSkiesForever

He's way more attack minded than Bidwell.
But possibly not quite as capable defensively.
But the balance of the side looks better with Dasilva in it.
Completely agree with fatso, Dasilva can get forward a lot quicker than Bidwell and seems a bit more “nippy” on the overlap. He might not be as defensively solid but I think we need to have more attack-minded players atm as we clearly have a problem creating chances and scoring goals. But I hope Bidwell stays as it’s always good to have options on the bench for when we need them.

rob9872

I like both Bidwell and JDS. It's unfortunate when one isn't playing but that's how a squad works and what we need in every position. He'll get his opportunity, I'm sure and then it's up to him to keep it as Jay has.

Saddlebrains

Very surprised if Bidders is still here come Jan 31st

Shame as i think hes been a good player for us, and Il die on this hill.....................

We struggle to make Wembley without him. He was absolutely unreal in the Semis against Boro cannot remember him being done once over both legs

Martw

I have to admit I felt sorry for him on Satdee warming up and watching almost everybody but him get on the pitch. I also presume he will want to find a club where he is first choice

harvey098

Da silva is definitely sharper and his ‘tika taka’ is better to keep us on the ball playing out rather than hoofing it down the line. I think he’s been decent.

Also think Bidwell is a solid player and we wouldn’t get a better 2nd choice but I can understand if he wouldn’t want to be that.

AOM

Can't see Bidwell wanting to stay if he's not guaranteed minutes. Be a shame to lose him as I don't think either Dasilva or Sakamoto are as good defensively in that position

blunted

Bidwell was more or less a guaranteed starter for us last season in our most successful season for years. Thought he started slowly when he arrived but grew into the role, as he is more a full back, I think. Think DaSilva is a class footballer whilst Bidwell is more an old school bruiser. Defensively, I would expect Bidwell to be the best defender but he takes a while to get into his rhythm. Unfortunately Bidwell, lost us a point when he came on against Hull and was not great against Huddersfield (was it that match can't recollect). I really hope he stays, as on form, he is one of our best defenders. Am I right in thinking he has been to the play offs a few times?

ProfessorbyGrace

Defensively, superior. Offensively, inferior.

Definitely more suited to being a traditional left back, really. Which, is a shame really, as he was a solid, professional, consistent performer last season, and I feel that DaSilva is already becoming an MR favourite. I’m not entirely sold on the latter, to be honest.

If he needs to move on for his career, fair play to him, however he must feel somewhat edged out. Well, shoved out.

The Philosopher

Bidwell is the best left back but isn’t great as a wing back - not got the mobility of JDS.

Good to have the option, especially if we need to switch tactics.

baldy

Might be worth giving him some minutes just to keep him satisfied as he is a very solid back up and I'd rather not lose him.

Saka has had one good game on left so I'm not ready to call him a starter till I have seen more.

I wouldn’t play him just to keep him satisfied - it’s not an under 11s boys team ffs

harvey098

I don’t get where the ‘JDS isn’t as good defensively’ tagline has come from. I’d say, if anything, he’s been more impressive defensively than offensively tbh. He wins most 1v1s and is really good at getting his body between the man and the ball. I was worried about his height (lack of) but so far that hasn’t been as much of an issue as I thought it would be.

JulianDarbyFTW

I understand that I'll be in the minority here, but I'd still have Bidwell starting, even though he probably isn't seen as dynamic enough for how we want to play. I just think his experience, and his steady Eddie performances, give us real solidity at the back, and along with Fadz I'd want him in the trenches in the hard fought games.

higgs

Don't think Bidwell should have been dropped it was up to him to lose his spot but he lost it to Da Silva automatically. Da Silva is very comfortable but doesn't take on his man and get the ball in the box if he improves that side to his game he could be very good

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

SBT

The comments about him being a better full back than a wing back are unfair imo - he’s been a perfectly decent wing back for the past season and a bit. He was very slow to start here but I’d be totally comfortable with him starting at LWB all season if something happened to Dasilva.

He’s the kind of player you’d like to see stick around as a backup option if the squad is going to actually improve, but the fact that he’s set to be moved on for nothing from a second successive Championship club suggests he doesn’t exactly endear himself to his bosses.

PVA

Bidwell is fine, he does a job. But technically he's nowhere near as good as Dasilva and although he takes up good positions in the final third he's not really capable of doing much with it. I don't think he's ever beaten a man in his entire time here and his first option is always to pass the ball backwards.

Very solid defensively though.

It looks like Saka could be backup LWB (and RWB) but I'd only be in favour of moving Bidwell on if it enables us to strengthen elsewhere.

PVA

He’s the kind of player you’d like to see stick around as a backup option if the squad is going to actually improve, but the fact that he’s set to be moved on for nothing from a second successive Championship club suggests he doesn’t exactly endear himself to his bosses.

I don't think it's that. I think he just wants first team football no?

Swansea wanted to offer him a new deal but on the understanding he would not be first choice, and he rejected it, which is fair enough.

SBT

I don't think it's that. I think he just wants first team football no?

Swansea wanted to offer him a new deal but on the understanding he would not be first choice, and he rejected it, which is fair enough.
I just mean if he endeared himself to his bosses more then he presumably wouldn’t have to worry about not being first choice!

fernandopartridge

The comments about him being a better full back than a wing back are unfair imo - he’s been a perfectly decent wing back for the past season and a bit. He was very slow to start here but I’d be totally comfortable with him starting at LWB all season if something happened to Dasilva.

He's probably on a fair wage for a player not expected to start every week, JDS will be on as much if not more, so something has to give really.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SkyblueTexan

I don’t get where the ‘JDS isn’t as good defensively’ tagline has come from. I’d say, if anything, he’s been more impressive defensively than offensively tbh. He wins most 1v1s and is really good at getting his body between the man and the ball. I was worried about his height (lack of) but so far that hasn’t been as much of an issue as I thought it would be.
The goal we conceded vs Swansea was bc JDS switched off. Think there was another game as well (maybe Watford or Cardiff) where he was lobbed over or beaten easily for the cross that led to a goal. Teams seem to target our left side and we’ve conceded mostly from attacks down our left.

Users who are viewing this thread