If Keogh was to be sold (1 Viewer)

Lloyd

If he was to be sold (I pray to god that he isnt and I'm not even religious!) would that be a good move if we got 1-2 mill for him? Or do you think, like me it would destroy any chance of us performing well defensively in either league?

Glen

Would destroy any chance becuase SISU will pocket the money and run we will not see a penny of it

oakey

Can't see anyone shelling out that kind of money. More like half a million tops. Keogh might be one of our best players but there are plenty of equally good players around who will be on a free, like Cranie. It would not be good but we are a selling club, so we would just have to accept it.

Lloyd

Can't see anyone shelling out that kind of money. More like half a million tops. Keogh might be one of our best players but there are plenty of equally good players around who will be on a free, like Cranie. It would not be good but we are a selling club, so we would just have to accept it.

you may well be right, but i'm pretty sure Keogh can fetch a 7 digit figure... but I may be wearing Sky Blue tinted glasses

Grendel

you may well be right, but i'm pretty sure Keogh can fetch a 7 digit figure... but I may be wearing Sky Blue tinted glasses

Turner didn't and he was a better defender. Also I believe on a longer contract.

oakey

For 40 years fans have thought our players are worth roughly double what they are eventually sold for.
We always get shafted by other clubs.

DD_Daphne

Clubs know that Keogh will be out of contract at the end of next season so we wouldn't be in a very good bargaining position.

Yorkshire SB

Keogh is very good for our side, but at times he flatters to deceive. Throws himself into challenges, blocks shots putting his body on the line..our John Terry, if you will. However he's in a back four that rarely keep a clean sheet, obviously it's not all down to him, but if we sold him for 750k (estimate), we'll hopefully have McPake back next season and probably get slated for this, but I loved McPake, thought he was class. Had injury problems but he's had a good few months in Scotland, a decent pre-season and we've got a very good centre back there. Cranie will probably go too, so with our current squad we'd be looking at Wood, Cameron, McPake and Willis. Haven't seen enough of Willis to comment, but the other three would be very capable in League 1.
Obviously best case scenario is that we keep Keogh (and don't get relegated), but if he leaves I don't think we should panic.
The issue for next season is the midfield, potentially huge problems. The way I see it we're basically gambling that Thomas and Bigiramana are going to do the business in League 1. Ability wise, they're good enough, but I just don't know if they could compete physically. If we're relegated and we take away Norwood and Clingan, we struggle for anything. McSheffrey would be a good League 1 player, however Bell is dog awful, and Baker, despite success at Stockport, I can see but bang average. Deegan is appalling in my eyes, he's slow, average on the ball and has little skill, creativity or flair. I assumed we were getting a tenacious big tackler but I've seen little to suggest that. I think the strikers, again, will be fine, McDonald will do the business, but I struggle to see how that Midfield would get us anywhere..

stupot07

Templerich - you don't like keogh because he's John terry like, throwing himself into last ditch tackles etc, but love McPake who does exactly the same minus keogh's pace and ability to be fit enough to play every minute or every game.

Tbh - Wood will be one of our highest earners and McPake wants to go back to Scotland - I can see a scenario where the only centre back we have remaining is Cameron.

Can't see us getting any more than £500k for keogh as he will be in te last year of his contract.

AFCCOVENTRY

He has one year left on his contract.

So if he doesn't sign a new deal this summer regardless of what division we are in, he will be sold.

Nonleagueherewecome

Cranie equally as good as Keogh? No chance. Keogh is player of the year by a country mile. Cranie is shakey in terms of concentration and limited in terms of pace and aerial ability.

oakey

The, on a free bit went with, like Cranie...not the equally good bit. Although many would disagree with you, I can't be arsed to argue the merits of two of our better players.

Yorkshire SB

Templerich - you don't like keogh because he's John terry like, throwing himself into last ditch tackles etc, but love McPake who does exactly the same minus keogh's pace and ability to be fit enough to play every minute or every game.

Tbh - Wood will be one of our highest earners and McPake wants to go back to Scotland - I can see a scenario where the only centre back we have remaining is Cameron.

Can't see us getting any more than £500k for keogh as he will be in te last year of his contract.

Hang on there mate, don't think I ever said 'I don't like Keogh', I actually think he's a very good defender and also a better player overall than McPake. My point was that I think with a fully fit McPake, I don't think we lose out too much. Despite what you say, I think there have been games McPake (in a stronger Coventry side too I might add) where he's been superb, making some outstanding challenges. I think you have to acknowledge the fact that he was made Captain of a strong Livingston side (that included Graham Dorrans and Robert Snodgrass) when he was only 21 and during 2009 was tipped for an International call-up.

stupot07

Hang on there mate, don't think I ever said 'I don't like Keogh', I actually think he's a very good defender and also a better player overall than McPake. My point was that I think with a fully fit McPake, I don't think we lose out too much. Despite what you say, I think there have been games McPake (in a stronger Coventry side too I might add) where he's been superb, making some outstanding challenges. I think you have to acknowledge the fact that he was made Captain of a strong Livingston side (that included Graham Dorrans and Robert Snodgrass) when he was only 21 and during 2009 was tipped for an International call-up.

Apologies, just re-read your post.

Livingston weren't that good, they were relegated from the SPL in the 2005-06 season and McPake was captain of them in the Scottish first division where they finished 6th,7th,7th (out of 10). I think him being tipped for an international call up says more about the lack of talent in Scottish football than McPakes ability.

sky_blue_up_north

What do you if, it should read when, one of the few players we have with any sort of value

Grendel

You can count the number of bad games keogh has had for the club on one hand and you can count the number of good games Mcpake has had on the same hand using less fingers. Comparing a very talented super fit championship player to an injury prone average defender in Scotland is getting a bit desperate I think.

Grendel

Cranie equally as good as Keogh? No chance. Keogh is player of the year by a country mile. Cranie is shakey in terms of concentration and limited in terms of pace and aerial ability.

Agreed. Cranie has looked extremely average all season. Distribution is also very poor.

Nick

Administrator
What i have noticed sometimes with keogh is that he makes mistakes to which he makes a last ditch tackle which looks good!

I could never fault his passion or workrate but if he read the game like cranie could he would be quality :)

I dont think he would make it in the prem, if he made a mistake somebody like tevez would destroy him before he could get a last ditch!

1nilandwe...

Agreed. Cranie has looked extremely average all season. Distribution is also very poor.

Disagree!

Cranie is our second placed player of the season behind Keogh. He's very solid and compliments Keogh well. He has also been played out of position most of the year, lest we forget.

Losing Keogh would certainly be a bad thing, because I'd be very surprised if we get anywhere near 1mil for him.

ccfc_Tom

Rather just have for another season and let go on a free as our transfer budget wouldnt see any of that money anyway.

stupot07

Disagree!

Cranie is our second placed player of the season behind Keogh. He's very solid and compliments Keogh well. He has also been played out of position most of the year, lest we forget.

Losing Keogh would certainly be a bad thing, because I'd be very surprised if we get anywhere near 1mil for him.

What do you mean out of position?

stupot07

Left back!

I think he played right back for england!

Yeah but he's only played left back 5-6 times this season, he's predominantly played centre half which he himself says is his preferred position. The post said that he'd mostly played out of position, which is not the case.

Brighton Sky Blue

Apologies, just re-read your post.

Livingston weren't that good, they were relegated from the SPL in the 2005-06 season and McPake was captain of them in the Scottish first division where they finished 6th,7th,7th (out of 10). I think him being tipped for an international call up says more about the lack of talent in Scottish football than McPakes ability.

McPake got handed the Hibs captaincy soon after joining them and has performed majorly well thus far-and he looked impressive again in the semi-final against Aberdeen yesterday. Don't dismiss him completely-if he's fully fit physically and mentally he will be a real asset.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I may get lambasted for this, but I think Keogh is over-rated by City fans. He's the master of the last-minute clearance/lunge/tackle which makes him look heroic; whereas in practise he's often covering for being in the wrong position to begin with.

People only concentrating in the effect, not the cause. Same with John Terry, albeit on a totally different level, of course

Pigeon

I think he's our best player and I'd hate to see him sold but I think if he does go in the summer it won't be a high price because teams in the championship will pick up players easily from relegated sides as we'll be desperate for money plus I can't see Sisu putting up a fight for any of our players if an offer comes in

If we are in L1 next season, I see no way how Keogh would stay.

Crainie was a cheeky twat for coming out and saying that he'd be off if we went down (or words to that effect)...but Keogh is a much better player than Crainie as he also marshals the defence....Crainie plays like a mute...he says sod all and does little to help the younger players around him.

Yorkshire SB

Possibly it is just the optimist within me..but I honestly don't think, when fully fit, there's a great deal between the two of them. Right now Keogh is a cult hero, but I think we have to look at the fact we're third bottom, and without pompey's deduction would be second bottom. A couple of years ago we played McPake and Wood at CB in the second half of the season and they did well (admittedly we were better in other departments) now I think it's more a case of Keogh being the best of a bad bunch than anything else.

To make it clear I'm not saying McPake is in anyway better than Keogh he is, but Keogh is like Scott Parker; immense work-rate, passion and big challenges, the fans will always love a guy like that and I just think if he left we may have the resources to make his departure less significant.

Users who are viewing this thread