If we keep the big 3 (4 including Sheaf) (1 Viewer)

fatso

I think Sheaf should be upgraded to make the big 4, I have a feeling he's going to be exceptional this season now he's settled in and got some championship experience under his belt.

mds

Why not top six.
There wernt many teams that outplayed us last season, probably Swansea the only team over both home and away, on the whole we looked better than most we came up against and with better finishing would of comfortably ended in the top six. We started strong and fell away towards xmas and never really recovered to the early season form, if we can maintain that for the season this time around, IDK........Autos.

Sky blue tinted glasses as always ;)

nunchuckas

Why not top six.
There wernt many teams that outplayed us last season, probably Swansea the only team over both home and away, on the whole we looked better than most we came up against and with better finishing would of comfortably ended in the top six. We started strong and fell away towards xmas and never really recovered to the early season form, if we can maintain that for the season this time around, IDK........Autos.

Sky blue tinted glasses as always ;)

I feel it was the lack of squad depth, further compounded by the Covid situation before Christmas that did us in. If those games had gone ahead when they were supposed to, we would probably have got a couple of points more (Godden would have been available for these before Christmas, too). And also, if we hadn't played them in that condensed period in February, we would probably have got a couple more points from the games originally scheduled in Feb, instead of being dead on our feet playing 8 games in a month to catch up the games cancelled before Christmas (plus the extra time at Southampton), at a time when Godden's appendix had gone. It was just too much.

As good as we were last season, our squad depth was light at the best of times, and definitely didn't have enough to handle this additional pressure.

If the games were all played when they were originally scheduled, it isn't much of a stretch to imagine we would have got at least 4/5 more points than we did. And going into the run in with 4 more points would have given us a more realistic, albeit still 'outside', chance of sneaking into the playoffs.

So even with our light squad, we were good enough to potentially sneak into the playoffs in normal circumstances, and I feel Robins and Viveash had maxed out their budget and just about put together a squad capable of doing that. They just didn't have the leeway to account for us having the (5 or so was it?) games rearranged through Covid.

So with a tad more squad depth, and no major disruptions to the arranged schedule (and hopefully slightly better luck with injuries and illnesses), Robins will have assembled a squad capable of making it this time with our style of play, talent, and intensity.

Being optimistic here.

procdoc

1 goal from Waghorn and no goals from Walker is a total waste of money for our club, we need better and is definitely an issue!!
Walker scored more than Waghorn last season. Our goals for column was good overall, if anything the defence is what needs immediate improvement

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think Sheaf should be upgraded to make the big 4, I have a feeling he's going to be exceptional this season now he's settled in and got some championship experience under his belt.

He isn't there yet.

After this season maybe he will be, but it's still too early. You might as well throw in Hyam and Moore if that's the case.

Duffys Tetralogy

We scored a decent amount of goals last season but so many of them were when we were behind and pushing.

If we can get the first goal more often (which we should have done in lots of games last year) I think our goals against will come down as we will look to be more resolute and counter attack teams.

fatso

He isn't there yet.

After this season maybe he will be, but it's still too early. You might as well throw in Hyam and Moore if that's the case.
Oh I think there's a massive difference in quality between Sheaf and those two.
I think you'll be eating your words before Christmas!

shmmeee

I want to see us get at teams first half more this season, too often we tried to be cute and get to the break level only to throw a silly goal (or two) away and end up chasing.

Hopefully five subs and less covid means we can use the squad more and keep intensity up all game.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Oh I think there's a massive difference in quality between Sheaf and those two.
I think you'll be eating your words before Christmas!

Eat my words on what? I am talking about the here and right now.

He has a lot of potential and has been improving a lot, but right now he is not going to command a fee akin to the other three. Yes that can change, and I hope it does, but let's be realistic.

fatso

Eat my words on what? I am talking about the here and right now.

He has a lot of potential and has been improving a lot, but right now he is not going to command a fee akin to the other three. Yes that can change, and I hope it does, but let's be realistic.
I'm not talking about his transfer value, I'm talking about his importance to the team.

Legia Sky Blue

I want to see us get at teams first half more this season, too often we tried to be cute and get to the break level only to throw a silly goal (or two) away and end up chasing.

Hopefully five subs and less covid means we can use the squad more and keep intensity up all game.

Thats not how I remember last season. There were countless games where we were all over teams in the first half but missed chance after chance only for the opposition to score with the first time they threatened our goal. We need to do the same this season except to take one of our chances before the opposition do.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Thats not how I remember last season. There were countless games where we were all over teams in the first half but missed chance after chance only for the opposition to score with the first time they threatened our goal. We need to do the same this season except to take one of our chances before the opposition do.

Taking our chances was a seriously overlooked problem last season. We still scored a decent return of goals, but it could and should have been so much more.

Gint11

I’m quite optimistic about our squad this year. If we keep the big 3 and add 1/2 more defenders, i can’t see anything other than a top 10 finish which would be progression.

Reactions: vow

blunted

Think the Championship is stronger this year. Sheff Utd and West Brom and Cardiff I think will do better than last season. Stoke and Hull should improve with Blackpool slipping back. Clubs who have come down will challenge again with possibly Burnley missing out. Think those that came up will be lower half again with a couple possibly going back down. QPR, Blackburn and Birmingham have new managers that could improve them or tank. Think Middlesborough will be right up there. Luton look strong again and Milwall seem on a slow improvement trajectory. Huddersfield, I think will slip and Swansea may flatter to deceive again. Reading look in danger. Our position depends on if we can avoid injuries with Kelly already out until after Christmas. If the loanees can step up to the plate, and we can improve our defensive record, I feel we can make the play offs.

skyblue025

As it stands top 10 is realistic but we should be aiming for top 6. If we can keep the spine of the team fit we can make the top 6. This season might really suit us having a month off for the world cup. We ran out of legs last year in the last 10 games. With the winter break that might not happen this year. We do need a strong start though.

skybluepm2

We have a favourable start on paper, which I feel could set us up for the season, should we hit the ground running and accumulate 5 or so wins out of the first 8.

It’s still so dependent on whether we can keep hold of those 4. Take just one out of the spine and the outlook changes dramatically. Add the LWB from Palace to the mix and we are pretty well covered in each and every position with depth and quality. Here’s hoping that both Panzo and Doyle can shore up the defence which was our Achilles heel last season.

As things stand, I’m feeling quietly optimistic, despite it being such a difficult league. No reason why we can’t sneak in that top 6 🙏🏻

Sick Boy

Top 6 of course for me. I don't see more than 4 or 5 teams better than us over a season.
Look out for some surprises too.
A lot depends on the start. If we get out the blocks quick and are top 2 or 3 for a few weeks, I think this time we would sustain a top 6 finish.
I thought you said we’d hammer Sunderland on the opening and not leave the top 6 all season?

Legia Sky Blue

A favourable start on paper doesn't necessarily relate to the reality. If anything playing the 3 promoted teams first thing is probably the worse time to play them, as their confidence will still be high from the previous season. Hopefully our class will prove otherwise, but I'm not taking it for granted that we will automatically turn these teams over.

Mcbean

Come on girls it’s playoffs as a minimum target - We are definitely good enough and have one of the best management teams and of course the best fans

skybluepm2

A favourable start on paper doesn't necessarily relate to the reality. If anything playing the 3 promoted teams first thing is probably the worse time to play them, as their confidence will still be high from the previous season. Hopefully our class will prove otherwise, but I'm not taking it for granted that we will automatically turn these teams over.

I agree completely. On paper is purely hypothetical, and in true city style we will struggle in the opening 8 and turn over the more fancied sides of the division 😎

NortonSkyBlue

I expect us to be in the bottom group from September. Our form from November 21 suggests that positioning and we haven’t added anything to change that view for me.
I am hoping we start strong, our home form improves and we purchase a Goalkeeper of quality and the defence is better than last season and midfield contributes more goals.
Nothing would give me more pleasure than to get it wrong.

pusbccfc

Users who are viewing this thread