Insomnia (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

c**t isnt it?

No reason for it came on suddenly lastt Sunday eve, couldnt drift off.

Got 5 or 6 hours a night rest of last week, then fuck all on Friday night. Slept for 11 hours Saturday night, but again last night fuck all

Anyone ever suffered? Any remedies or tricks to help? Im an emotional mess, cried at my daughter going to school this morning ffs

I have sciatica and told the docs that I struggle to sleep with the discomfort. I was prescribed amitriptyline and it's been a god send. I don't take it most nights as it really knocks me out, but when I've had a few nights of poor sleep I pop one of these and that's me gone. I have to take it by 8pm or it won't wear off properly until mid day the next day.

Might be worth seeing the docs and telling them you have anxiety or some aches/pains that are preventing you sleeping. May even be worth asking for them outright from the docs. I have them on repeat.

Sick Boy

Yeah, I’m plagued by it as well. If I sleep 6 full hours a night I’m doing well; I never seem to catch up on sleep debt, which is annoying.

There are times when my brain just doesn’t turn off and goes hyper and I could easily stay awake all night, most of the time when that happens I end up drinking spirits to take the edge off and sleep.

Last week I started listening to brown noise throughout the night and it actually helps, id suggest giving it a go.

skybluetony176

You could try a couple of drops of CBD oil in a small glass of warm liquid (caffeine free for obvious reasons) before you go to bed. I find that helps sometimes as it’s helpful for both anxiety and insomnia. I tend to have trouble getting to sleep if something is playing on my mind and I start feeling anxious. Failing that knock one out, I know it sounds like I’m taking the piss but as we all know it’s good for stress relief and I think I’m right in saying that stress is the number one cause of insomnia.

Brighton Sky Blue

Since COVID I’ve struggled with the opposite problem of waking up at 3-4 am and not being able to go back to sleep. Doesn’t matter how tired I am or if it’s a work day or not.

Takes me out for the day pretty much

stay_up_skyblues

When I packed up drinking I couldn’t sleep and used Nytol. Over the counter and cheap. They really work, albeit you build up a tolerance if used long term so have to double drop eventually. I believe it’s just antihistamine that was taken off sale for allergies due to excessive drowsiness. Now days ear plugs and my snoozeband do the trick.

andrew.roberts

I've suffered with it for a long time and yes, it's a real bastard. One of the major problems is the mental side of it, as in going to bed already worrying that maybe you're not going sleep and if that's the case the chances are you will find it difficult to do so. Try taking a hot bath and relaxing for half an hour or so before you hit the sack, read a book in bed (but absolutely not a Kindle or a tablet)and don't watch the telly for an hour or so before you decide to go to bed but try to make it a natural procedure and not regimented.
My doctor here in Spain prescribed a drug called Zolpidem which I find really useful because I'll sleep for at least four hours with half a 10 mg tablet. Knowing that you have that option helps you to relax more because it's a fail safe in the worst eventuality. I've found it to be non addictive because I can take it for a couple of weeks every night and then probably not again in the following six months after a decent sleep pattern has returned.
It's very probably only temporary, and even in the very worst scenario there are ways and means to deal with the problem, so first and foremost try not to make it a big issue.

AOM

I have never really been a good sleeper either, and am still yet to find a good remedy for it. Is there something worrying you, like stress?

Think most of my sleep issues are more mental rather than physically (worrying, over thinking things, the usual etc), so most tablets/herbs/etc don't really touch the sides.
I sometimes worry so much about not sleeping that it then keeps me awake which is so frustrating.

I know some people swear by apps like Calm or listening to white noise/rain sounds.

Wish I could be one of those people who make up for lost nights with like 10-12 hour mega sleeps, but I feel I'm usually in some kind of sleep debt.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I installed an app called Rise and it's pretty good.

I have to have noise on but have changed from TV to podcast so there isn't the light.

Bedtime routine of having a sleep time tea (no idea if it helps but it's the routine now).

Also don't fight it, I used to lie in bed wide awake and then get worked up I couldn't sleep. I just get up now and do something and then go back when I'm actually tired.

robbiekeane

c**t isnt it?

Got 5 or 6 hours a night rest of last week, then fuck all on Friday night. Slept for 11 hours Saturday night, but again last night fuck all

Anyone ever suffered? Any remedies or tricks to help? Im an emotional mess, cried at my daughter going to school this morning ffs
When I was 19 I’d rock up to my mates after a night out and be like bro can I just curl up in a ball and sleep on your kitchen floor in my jeans, and be out like a light.

Now its mouth guard (as I grind and have TMJ, need to protect my teeth), a scoop of magnesium powder, an eye mask, and a green noise playlist on Spotify 😂. Couldn’t get on with white noise or brown noise gave me a headache

Works for me though - and leave your phone on the other side of your room, as it doesn’t help you having infinite information an inch from your face. I also brush my teeth an hour or two before bed because doing it immediately before I want to sleep really wakes me up

I also heard if you have a nice hot shower before bed if you’re struggling to sleep that really relaxes you.

Sky Blue Pete

c**t isnt it?

Very person specific as are most solutions to insomnia
Routine is really important
Music can help
No technology in the room can help
Fiddle around with the temperature in the room or number of blankets or size of quilt
Pillow height and number
No alcohol or stimulant (caffeine) after midday potentially
Bed is for sleep not for lying awake so don’t read in bed and don’t lie awake in bed. Get up for say 30 mins and then come back to bed to sleep
Try exercising and not exercising before bed
I’ve found it hard to switch off with work or kids or elderly unwell family and so tried listening to music which relaxes me but doesn’t help me sleep! Whereas playing half hour on fifa zonks my mind out
If you are thinking about stuff have your phone or pen and paper to write what’s on your mind down and then try and aleep

hope you sort it no sleep is shit

ps no issue crying as you daughter goes to school that’s humanity

Sick Boy

Since COVID I’ve struggled with the opposite problem of waking up at 3-4 am and not being able to go back to sleep. Doesn’t matter how tired I am or if it’s a work day or not.

Meant add that this also happens to me. Without fail I wake up at exactly 4am every night and half the time am awake for the day.

AOM

Does Magnesium powder help? I was looking at those Melatonin patches.

I've tried both, and not really noticed much difference, but they do seem to work for a lot of people.
Melatonin I think is at least meant to give you good quality sleep, rather than quantity

Saddlebrains

Thank you all. I always tend to fall asleep with the Tv On, saw it as a kind of comfort as my mum passed when i was young

But I'm going to try a podcast or something on Spotify instead, the noise will still be there i suppose

I'm am anxious guy in general, and my mind instantly goes to 'oh my god im never going to sleep again and im going to die'

Nick

Administrator
Thank you all. I always tend to fall asleep with the Tv On, saw it as a kind of comfort as my mum passed when i was young

But I'm going to try a podcast or something on Spotify instead, the noise will still be there i suppose

I'm am anxious guy in general, and my mind instantly goes to 'oh my god im never going to sleep again and im going to die'

Yeah try a podcast instead of the TV so you have the noise but not the light.

Brighton Sky Blue

If you get desperate I can genuinely recommend the England games against Scotland (Euro 21) and USA (World Cup). Wife fell asleep watching both

Sick Boy

If that doesn't work, I would really recommend putting on some brown noise for the whole night. Since doing it, I am getting much better quality sleep.

Saddlebrains

I have sciatica and told the docs that I struggle to sleep with the discomfort. I was prescribed amitriptyline and it's been a god send. I don't take it most nights as it really knocks me out, but when I've had a few nights of poor sleep I pop one of these and that's me gone. I have to take it by 8pm or it won't wear off properly until mid day the next day.

Might be worth seeing the docs and telling them you have anxiety or some aches/pains that are preventing you sleeping. May even be worth asking for them outright from the docs. I have them on repeat.

Due a callback from them soon, I will be asking for that thank you

Saddlebrains

Yeah, I’m plagued by it as well. If I sleep 6 full hours a night I’m doing well; I never seem to catch up on sleep debt, which is annoying.

There are times when my brain just doesn’t turn off and goes hyper and I could easily stay awake all night, most of the time when that happens I end up drinking spirits to take the edge off and sleep.

Last week I started listening to brown noise throughout the night and it actually helps, id suggest giving it a go.

Thats the worst for me

If i get SOME sleep, even say 4 hours, id rather get by on that than completely sleepless nights, thats whats fucking me up at the moment, I'm an emotional wreck

Saddlebrains

You could try a couple of drops of CBD oil in a small glass of warm liquid (caffeine free for obvious reasons) before you go to bed. I find that helps sometimes as it’s helpful for both anxiety and insomnia. I tend to have trouble getting to sleep if something is playing on my mind and I start feeling anxious. Failing that knock one out, I know it sounds like I’m taking the piss but as we all know it’s good for stress relief and I think I’m right in saying that stress is the number one cause of insomnia.

Tried a wank at 3am this morning, didnt work 🙁😂

Saddlebrains

See id take that any day over not getting off to kip

Saddlebrains

I've suffered with it for a long time and yes, it's a real bastard. One of the major problems is the mental side of it, as in going to bed already worrying that maybe you're not going sleep and if that's the case the chances are you will find it difficult to do so. Try taking a hot bath and relaxing for half an hour or so before you hit the sack, read a book in bed (but absolutely not a Kindle or a tablet)and don't watch the telly for an hour or so before you decide to go to bed but try to make it a natural procedure and not regimented.
My doctor here in Spain prescribed a drug called Zolpidem which I find really useful because I'll sleep for at least four hours with half a 10 mg tablet. Knowing that you have that option helps you to relax more because it's a fail safe in the worst eventuality. I've found it to be non addictive because I can take it for a couple of weeks every night and then probably not again in the following six months after a decent sleep pattern has returned.
It's very probably only temporary, and even in the very worst scenario there are ways and means to deal with the problem, so first and foremost try not to make it a big issue.

This is the biggest problem i now have

Im dreading the darkness everyday and its messing my head

whats your health/fitness regime like? Could always sign up to a gym, go hard on weights and cardio from 6pm-8pm and just tire yourself out? after 5/6 days of this you imagine you'll be quite worn out physically so you'll be more inclined to sleep, you'll be having endorphins going so you'll be feeling better, and if you maintain it, you'll feel better about your body image etc etc. A heavier/harder approach than just taking some supplements but worth a go.

Saddlebrains

If that doesn't work, I would really recommend putting on some brown noise for the whole night. Since doing it, I am getting much better quality sleep.

Is it really good? I've tried white noise in the past and that helped a bit but no more

Saddlebrains

whats your health/fitness regime like? Could always sign up to a gym, go hard on weights and cardio from 6pm-8pm and just tire yourself out? after 5/6 days of this you imagine you'll be quite worn out physically so you'll be more inclined to sleep, you'll be having endorphins going so you'll be feeling better, and if you maintain it, you'll feel better about your body image etc etc. A heavier/harder approach than just taking some supplements but worth a go.

I work from home, but its quite a brain engaging role if that makes sense?

And i make sure i go for a fast walk twice a day, do about 8500 steps.

Always eat dinner around 5, 5.30, always eat relatively healthy also

Covkid1968#

I just accept that I have 5 hours. Mrs sleeps all night and goes out like a light. It’s incredibly frustrating. I lie there… going through City games coming up, then I go through the jobs around the house… I just never seem to switch off!!

I work from home, but its quite a brain engaging role if that makes sense?

And i make sure i go for a fast walk twice a day, do about 8500 steps.

Always eat dinner around 5, 5.30, always eat relatively healthy also
so LISS cardio is good and the fresh air is going to be good for you. So definitely keep that up.

To baby step into it, I'd consider adding some form of HIIT cardio. Swimming, 5-a-side, Tennis, squash, hill sprints (if you're brave). Just something that will be more intense, harder on the body making you more tired.

Also not against the supplements. Multi vits, Magnesium, Melatonin (would rec this), are going to help. Have a search online for supplements to manage your Cortisol too. Cortisol is the stress hormone and there are natural herbal supps you can take to mitigate these spikes.

Outside of adding some weights/resistance training into your routine, the only other thing I could suggest, which I've never done, which is very new age, would be some form of meditation practice. If you have an intense cognitive role, I imagine you'll have a lot going around your mind quite regularly. You need some release where you can forget these things. Thinking about it weights may be my version of this. On walks I'm always thinking, but with weights its about doing the reps, increasing the weight, it forces your focus onto something and clears everything else out (lest you drop a heavy weight on your face!).

Maybe trial some of the above for a month. It's all health conscious, positive changes. Worst case even if you don't sleep better you just feel better about yourself.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest you then look at diet, have you added something new recently, have some ingredients changed, when are you consuming caffeine, have you tried removing things etc etc. But I'd do the above before worrying too much about diet because it seems unlikely you've had too much change dramatically in a short space of time.

Saddlebrains

I just accept that I have 5 hours. Mrs sleeps all night and goes out like a light. It’s incredibly frustrating. I lie there… going through City games coming up, then I go through the jobs around the house… I just never seem to switch off!!

Same, my Mrs could sleep on a fucking washing line!

I wish i could have 5 hours, im having none at the moment 😂

Users who are viewing this thread