Interesting take on the Championship promotion race (1 Viewer)

better days

Rod Liddle

Sunday April 17 2022, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

The league table often lies, as I’ve mentioned before. But it also reveals the occasional truth. Both of these apparently paradoxical statements are in evidence when you look at the many teams in contention for a play-off spot in the Championship.

Only three points divide the teams between sixth and tenth and at least 12 teams still have chance of securing a play-off spot. That would suggest that there is not much between any of them, which would be an entirely accurate assessment (with one exception) — so, in this case, the table is pretty truthful.

However, after Fulham, the two best sides I have watched this season are Swansea City and Coventry City and I have heard much the same from neutrals. But slick, cultured Swansea are mired in mid-table and were at one point looking over their shoulders a little anxiously. Coventry, meanwhile, are just about in the mix, but rank outsiders — alongside my lot, Millwall — to steal that last play-off spot.

I have no answer as to why both teams aren’t a lot higher, aside from that ubiquitous caveat “lack of consistency”. Swansea in particular play beautiful football and have an aversion to allowing opponents any share of the ball: they would grace the top division.
The rest of those vying for a play-off place, Coventry excepted, are much of a muchness. Both QPR and West Bromwich Albion have been on a downward trajectory since the beginning of the year and in any case are not up to much. The west Londoners always flatter to deceive and West Brom can’t quite make the transition from the top league to the Championship, and their fairly expensive talent has floundered. Millwall and Luton Town are two teams deserving of enormous credit for being even within reach of a play-off place, given their minuscule budgets, comparatively small attendances and lack of parachute payments.

Luton should make it over the line: they have a fine team comprising familiar names — Robert Snodgrass, for example, who these days resembles a Chieftain tank, but also Henri Lansbury and Cameron Jerome. This somewhat mature contingent is given zest by the presence of Harry Cornick, one of the best players in the second tier, and Elijah Adebayo, who is, I think, this season’s Ivan Toney and would not look out of place in the Premier League. Nathan Jones has recruited well. It is 30 years since Luton were in the top division: Nathan Jones, you’ve been gone too long.
Millwall have recruited very well, too — a testament to manager Gary Rowett’s clever, incremental improvement of a squad which three or four years ago was making a meal of mere survival in the second tier. Given that Millwall have endured the worst season for injuries that I can recall in 55 years, their presence anywhere near the play-offs is a minor miracle.

McNamara and Millwall are hoping to gatecrash the Championship play-offs

A strong defence, superb homegrown talent in Danny McNamara, Billy Mitchell and Tyler Burey plus the Premier League standard winger Jed Wallace, Millwall are an established upper-table side and it would not take much to hoist them the last few inches.
Because when I look at the rest, they seem to me no great shakes. Middlesbrough have improved since Chris Wilder came in but are still often insipid in attack. Blackburn Rovers have been borne aloft on the goals of the striker Ben Brereton Díaz — half Chilean, half Stokie — and are otherwise solid enough.

Huddersfield Town have obduracy but not a great deal else that I can see, and they have begun to stutter a little of late. Nottingham Forest — beaten by Luton on Good Friday — have the dependable Lewis Grabban and the superb, if querulous, Djed Spence who (unfathomably) Middlesbrough still refuse to recall from loan.
There are not many obvious future England internationals in the second tier, but Spence (on his day, when not acting outraged) is surely one. But there is not much else to write home about. This leaves Sheffield United, still clinging to the last play-off berth just as they are still clinging to the coattails of wily Billy Sharp. Millwall took six points from them this season.
Which leaves the two automatic places, at present and almost certainly finally occupied by Bournemouth and Fulham (or Mitrovic Athletic as they have become known). Fulham are clearly the top side in the division — that’s parachute payments for you. Indeed, both they and Norwich City seem to be employing consecutive relegations and promotions as a very lucrative business plan. Parachute payments have got to stop: football clubs should not be rewarded (and then rewarded again) for failure.
My guess for the top six is pretty much how it looks now, although Sheffield United may lose out to Middlesbrough, who have a game in hand. Three of Middlesbrough’s last five games are at home and tomorrow’s fixture against Huddersfield is crucial. Whatever, I suspect we’ll be seeing them again pretty soon even if they do go up.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/topic/premier-league

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Thanks BD, this makes me feel both happy and sad. I do think in terms of skill we are are one of the best teams for sure. It's not all down to tht though. It's been mentioned time and time again its that we don't score enough goals, maybe its more true that we don't score at the right times enough ie earlier on in the game. I did see someone post recently that the defence was the factor in lowering our league position. This has a lot of merit.No real criticism of anyone in the defence from me but if we had conceded less goals in the first half for instance we would have won more games.

I think two other factors have held us back, the depth of the squad and perhaps didn't expect to be so good/high in the table. There aren't enough quality players to fill in with injuries and suspensions. MR seems to want just to rely on the players he knows are good enough even though its maybe jaded some of our players at times.The truly magnificent ,Vicktor, is prime example, he has had to carry the attack all season and not surprising when he has had the odd ineffective game .

Very fine lines and we could have made it. I didn't go to QPR or Luton games but by all accounts we should have won those, just 4 point from those would have placed in the top 6. Every team can say that though of course. I'm sure we are better than Huddersfield and Luton who will make the playoffs' . Its the most games I have been to in a long long time. The wins I saw at Fulham and in particular Bristol City will live long in the memory. Just a shame I had no chance of getting tickets for Bham, WBA and even Stoke. Its crazy situation and near on impossible to get a ticket for away games and something clearly is wrong/distorted. I've followed City since about 5 home and away and never had this situation before when unable to get a ticket.

I am sure its not gone unnoticed regarding Coventry's fans, quality of play, stadium and of potential to be back at top level. Lets hope there is someone out there who can make SISU an offer even they cant refuse.

slowpoke

The lack of support for manager Mark Robins in the January transfer window has undoubtably in my opinion cost us a marvellous chance of finishing in the play/off spots and perhaps even the automatics. We might still wriggle in the play offs but it’s a long shot. MR had to ship out a number on loan to help finance the acquisition of Jake Bigwell, who has turned out a decent signing in my opinion, but let Walker go out on loan who although not setting the world alight would have been cover for Matty Godden getting appendicitis and out for nine matches.
I suspect this lack of support for our manager to continue in the summer just makes me wonder why they remain here.

Sky Blue Harry H

He declares his bias and then continues to mention Millwall. Stealing a living and should be working on regional radio.

A bit unfair - he praises us, and Millwall are on the same points and goal difference as us, so I think that's not unreasonable.

Kilclines curly mullet

Thanks BD, this makes me feel both happy and sad. I do think in terms of skill we are are one of the best teams for sure. It's not all down to tht though. It's been mentioned time and time again its that we don't score enough goals, maybe its more true that we don't score at the right times enough ie earlier on in the game. I did see someone post recently that the defence was the factor in lowering our league position. This has a lot of merit.No real criticism of anyone in the defence from me but if we had conceded less goals in the first half for instance we would have won more games.

I think two other factors have held us back, the depth of the squad and perhaps didn't expect to be so good/high in the table. There aren't enough quality players to fill in with injuries and suspensions. MR seems to want just to rely on the players he knows are good enough even though its maybe jaded some of our players at times.The truly magnificent ,Vicktor, is prime example, he has had to carry the attack all season and not surprising when he has had the odd ineffective game .

Very fine lines and we could have made it. I didn't go to QPR or Luton games but by all accounts we should have won those, just 4 point from those would have placed in the top 6. Every team can say that though of course. I'm sure we are better than Huddersfield and Luton who will make the playoffs' . Its the most games I have been to in a long long time. The wins I saw at Fulham and in particular Bristol City will live long in the memory. Just a shame I had no chance of getting tickets for Bham, WBA and even Stoke. Its crazy situation and near on impossible to get a ticket for away games and something clearly is wrong/distorted. I've followed City since about 5 home and away and never had this situation before when unable to get a ticket.

I am sure its not gone unnoticed regarding Coventry's fans, quality of play, stadium and of potential to be back at top level. Lets hope there is someone out there who can make SISU an offer even they cant refuse.
Regards tickets, nothing is wrong.
Tickets over the years have been easy to obtain.
Now, with relative success demand outweighs supply
Next season with the loyalty scheme things may be different.

Hope you are going to the CBS tomorrow.

skybluesam66

biggest thing club now needs to look at is commercial and marketing
The £2m per year whole should easily be covered by that if we have decent people in those areas

If we say £2m is £1m for matchday and £1m from advertising that is around £40k per game for each with cup ties
if we cant make that amount additional money after this seasons success, then we have the wrong people involved

season ticket increase from £299 to £345 alone should bring £300k of the £1m . An extra 1000 on the average gate maybe another £500k and then just a bit more in the on the day offers to get us to part with cash
and surely we are more attractive for sponsors than we were 12 months ago

Grendel

I don’t see how an extra 1,000 on the gate adds £500,000

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I don’t see how an extra 1,000 on the gate adds £500,000
Probably does total to that over a season, if you average 1,000 more fans per game a season than the previous then you will over the course gain £500,000, but for us we will make a percentage of that as most clubs will due to maintaining shit around the stadium and club but we will probably be paying a chunk to the Wasps

Grendel

Probably does total to that over a season, if you average 1,000 more fans per game a season than the previous then you will over the course gain £500,000, but for us we will make a percentage of that as most clubs will due to maintaining shit around the stadium and club but we will probably be paying a chunk to the Wasps

Average ticket price is around £14 multiply that by 23000 = £322,000

multiply by 80% is £257,000?

Gibbo

Our problem mainly lies with some of the players most beloved by fans - the central defence. We score goals including some very good ones, but concede way too many. Everybody wittering on about more goals from midfield and acquiring attacking midfielders misses the fact that we do score lots of goals. The problem is at the back where 89 minutes of super eyecatching play can by ruined by one mistake. Both goals conceded at Birmingham were sloppy, ditto those against Blackburn.

Sky Blue Pete

The lack of support for manager Mark Robins in the January transfer window has undoubtably in my opinion cost us a marvellous chance of finishing in the play/off spots and perhaps even the automatics. We might still wriggle in the play offs but it’s a long shot. MR had to ship out a number on loan to help finance the acquisition of Jake Bigwell, who has turned out a decent signing in my opinion, but let Walker go out on loan who although not setting the world alight would have been cover for Matty Godden getting appendicitis and out for nine matches.
I suspect this lack of support for our manager to continue in the summer just makes me wonder why they remain here.
Just madness expecting anything different and one shouldn’t make light of the team spirit and how fragile this can be

Grendel

If the club get an increase of 1,000 season tickets we’d get around 300,000 more revenue as a guess as you have to make an assumption on concessions . I’d say it is likely sakes will be down if anything due to living costs outlays

Sky Blue Pete

The £2m per year whole should easily be covered by that if we have decent people in those areas

If we say £2m is £1m for matchday and £1m from advertising that is around £40k per game for each with cup ties
if we cant make that amount additional money after this seasons success, then we have the wrong people involved

season ticket increase from £299 to £345 alone should bring £300k of the £1m . An extra 1000 on the average gate maybe another £500k and then just a bit more in the on the day offers to get us to part with cash
I think that’s fair. It’s almost worth getting a professional commercial manager to support Tynan who I think does a brilliant job with lack of resources

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Regards tickets, nothing is wrong.
Tickets over the years have been easy to obtain.
Now, with relative success demand outweighs supply
Next season with the loyalty scheme things may be different.

Hope you are going to the CBS tomorrow.
Yes I am going. I live in Manchester . I have built in a whole itenary next week that involved going to Bournemouth game, working in London , going to a Garry Thompson evening on Thursday and going to WBA game. However WBA tickets unobtainable in away end. Perhaps those tickets should have been prioritised on supporters previous number of visits there and I definitely would have got a ticket!(only joking on that idea).I went in Fulham end but don't fancy the same at WBA at all. I have been to 8 away and will be 12 at home this year, its been a great season.
Rumours are often just that , but seems to be comments about supporters clubs and Leamington bias. No idea whether that's true or not.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I think squad depth is all we are missing at the moment, if we can sign some starting players and be rid if some of the dead wood we will be even more competitive next season, as we do every season signing players better than the current starting 11 allows higher quality in both the bench, reserves and starting players. (As Im sure everyone is aware of)

Sky Blue Pete

If the club get an increase of 1,000 season tickets we’d get around 300,000 more revenue as a guess as you have to make an assumption on concessions . I’d say it is likely sakes will be down if anything due to living costs outlays
Think we’ll make the same numbers

CDK

Marketing departments are brilliant to work in especially if you love the product and brand your selling.
Now the city are back in there home stadium they really should be setting a target of 4million as a basic level as starting point ,it's not impossible having worked in the advertising department at the CET for a few years in the 90s these targets are doable.
If the club creates more revenue the boardroom should extend that income into mark robins budget.

South West Sky Blue

I’m hoping to make more TV revenue next season. Having a reputation for attractive football, last minute goals, scoring and conceding more than most, should make us more appealing to TV networks.
Bit disappointed how little we’ve been on, however I don’t have the stats to compare with other teams.
Could be clinging onto false hope…..

Gynnsthetonic

Out of the next 4, if we win 2, draw 1 and lose 1 and finish 7th I wouldn't be too downhearted, just hope we can go forward next season with a bigger and stronger squad. Robins has improved us year on year and next year would mean playoffs minimum.
Agree about the parachute payments as well, so unfair

rob9872

Yes I am going. I live in Manchester . I have built in a whole itenary next week that involved going to Bournemouth game, working in London , going to a Garry Thompson evening on Thursday and going to WBA game. However WBA tickets unobtainable in away end. Perhaps those tickets should have been prioritised on supporters previous number of visits there and I definitely would have got a ticket!(only joking on that idea).I went in Fulham end but don't fancy the same at WBA at all. I have been to 8 away and will be 12 at home this year, its been a great season.
Rumours are often just that , but seems to be comments about supporters clubs and Leamington bias. No idea whether that's true or not.
This is the problem when people make the joke so often that others start to believe it. Leamington and Warwick were the first of the newer supporters clubs and had a large presence in the lower leagues pre covid. This season despite all the noise, they've taken around 15 to 20 tickets per game (i do understand for some thats still 15 too many). We don't travel with them and I know many don't now, they had their place but less needed as we're back in a higher league.

Southam take a full coach and sometimes more as do Nuneaton & Bedworth yet for some strange reason the group who were there in the tougher times and who put much more back, in terms of sponsorship and finance, are the ones being slaughtered on here, facebook etc. I've not had anything to do with them since covid, but the work that went in before it does still grind my gears a bit to see them getting hammered.

I think in reality after a couple of years away and some grounds we've not visited for some years, there will naturally be more availability next year unless we're right at the top end of the table. Interestingly though, the same fans moaning they couldnt go to some of these, weren't at places like Middlesbrough where we could have sold a lot more yet expect the same chance as those who did go. Hopefully the points system does sort it out for all next season without complaints and I'll bet we still see the same faces everywhere the ones who rarely go will find some other reason to claim it's unfair.

Evo1883

This is the problem when people make the joke so often that others start to believe it. Leamington and Warwick were the first of the newer supporters clubs and had a large presence in the lower leagues pre covid. This season despite all the noise, they've taken around 15 to 20 tickets per game (i do understand for some thats still 15 too many). We don't travel with them and I know many don't now, they had their place but less needed as we're back in a higher league.

Southam take a full coach and sometimes more as do Nuneaton & Bedworth yet for some strange reason the group who were there in the tougher times and who put much more back, in terms of sponsorship and finance, are the ones being slaughtered on here, facebook etc. I've not had anything to do with them since covid, but the work that went in before it does still grind my gears a bit to see them getting hammered.

I think in reality after a couple of years away and some grounds we've not visited for some years, there will naturally be more availability next year unless we're right at the top end of the table. Interestingly though, the same fans moaning they couldnt go to some of these, weren't at places like Middlesbrough where we could have sold a lot more yet expect the same chance as those who did go. Hopefully the points system does sort it out for all next season without complaints and I'll bet we still see the same faces everywhere the ones who rarely go will find some other reason to claim it's unfair.

15 - 20
giphy.gif

rob9872

Y
You seriously think you know better? I can tell you it's a fact, if you want go to the coach park and count them on the bus (often a minibus btw)

Users who are viewing this thread