Investment (1 Viewer)

mark82

Just seen Derby have agreed a takeover by wealthy investors. Does anyone think we have a chance to compete in, or even stay in, this division without significant investment? I just don't see it long term. You seemingly need to spend beyond your means to stay in this division.

Skyblueweeman

It is the most competitive league with the biggest prize at the end of it so I can see why everyone chucks money at it.

It's also the biggest gamble in the world. Only 3 go up so many piss in the wind trying to achieve promotion and end up screwing themselves in the process.

Tough one really. Risk future financial insecurity (and we know what that's like all too well) in trying to get up...proper shit or bust.

Liquid Gold

The league is really broken financially and any number of clubs could go pop with the way they're being run if the benefactor pulled out.

I'd rather we were a yo-yo club at least. trying to run sustainably than spunk the future up the wall. Of course if we can stay competitive in the championship without chucking money away then all the better.

shmmeee

There was talk of an £18m cap. It was shot down of course, but I’d like to think we could compete in that sort of range, even if we’d still be towards the bottom of the wage table, the gap wouldn’t be so huge and some would inevitably spend it badly.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The league is really broken financially and any number of clubs could go pop with the way they're being run if the benefactor pulled out.

I'd rather we were a yo-yo club at least. trying to run sustainably than spunk the future up the wall. Of course if we can stay competitive in the championship without chucking money away then all the better.

Trouble is you go up, some players impress and get bids for. They can earn more and play at a higher level if we go down, so they leave. Then we have to replace them with unknown quantities so IF we go up again we don't know if they'll be able to hack it or not. Rinse and repeat. Only chance we've got of retaining those players up to Champ standard is to stay in the Championship.

It's far too risky a strategy and one people put forward when we got relegated from the PL. That worked well didn't it?

Grendel

Trouble is you go up, some players impress and get bids for. They can earn more and play at a higher level if we go down, so they leave. Then we have to replace them with unknown quantities so IF we go up again we don't know if they'll be able to hack it or not. Rinse and repeat. Only chance we've got of retaining those players up to Champ standard is to stay in the Championship.

It's far too risky a strategy and one people put forward when we got relegated from the PL. That worked well didn't it?

We sold everything that moved when we got relegated from the PL?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

We sold everything that moved when we got relegated from the PL?

Who's to say we wouldn't sell everything that moved if we got relegated now? If players attract attention and can earn more, they're going to want to leave.

Grendel

Who's to say we wouldn't sell everything that moved if we got relegated now? If players attract attention and can earn more, they're going to want to leave.

The PL comparison isn’t valid as players were in the end encouraged to leave and we sold any asset we had as well. Hardly any of these players would get in any championship squad.

AFCCOVENTRY

Football is just bollocks these days. Spend beyond your means for a pot luck gamble at the premiership. I would rather we are just sensible financially and survive as a football club. We’ve already been burnt by money and greed in the boardroom.

Grendel

Football is just bollocks these days. Spend beyond your means for a pot luck gamble at the premiership. I would rather we are just sensible financially and survive as a football club. We’ve already been burnt by money and greed in the boardroom.

We before fans were banned decided to waiver after least £4m extra revenue. We are financially insolvent and supported by short term additional loans every season to bridge gaps and it seems are prepared to commit to a £50m building plan while insolvent and prepared to deny ourselves revenue - cool

mark82

The PL comparison isn’t valid as players were in the end encouraged to leave and we sold any asset we had as well. Hardly any of these players would get in any championship squad.

Kind of agree. There are players that have the potential to be regulars at this level though. I'm thinking Dabo, O'Hare, Hamer. Others have some way to go to prove they can hack it at this level (Dabo also a bit of an assumption, not really played properly yet this year).

better days

Just seen Derby have agreed a takeover by wealthy investors. Does anyone think we have a chance to compete in, or even stay in, this division without significant investment? I just don't see it long term. You seemingly need to spend beyond your means to stay in this division.
It seems that the putative new owners of Derby have previously agreed to buy more than one other English club
But on each occasion they were unable to come up with the money after they'd agreed the deal
Football really is insane
Takeovers are complicated enough for a normal company being sold to a UK buyer
But football clubs in the top two divisions are being sold to buyers from some of the most untrustworthy countries in the world And fans stand back in the hope that they will be better than the people who currently own their team

Barnsley

You have to, buy cheap, develop, sell, reinvest. Then once you’ve done that, You have to, buy cheap, develop, sell, reinvest. Then once you’ve done that, You have to, buy cheap, develop, sell, reinvest.

It’s the only way to run self-sufficiently at this level.

AFCCOVENTRY

We would have stayed up if Wigan and a few others weren’t spending above their means, Sheffield are an absolute shambles imagine how bad they’d be if they weren’t spending way above their means.

Any other teams on for a point deduction this season?

rob9872

Are they our landlords ? Thought landlord was different to owners (if you are referring to SISU) Perhaps semantics on my part.
Not only you H! My assumption was that he was referring to Blues as our 'landlords'.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I think other teams have shown that you can stay up, atleast in the short term (2-3 seasons). I cant see us managing more than 2-3 seasons at this level if groundsharing at St Andrews, if players do well they will inevitably move on and we will have to keep successfully replacing them. I suppose it's possible, just seems highly unlikely in anything more than the short term.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Any other teams on for a point deduction this season?

I think it's a lottery because it's not necessarily as simple as looking at who tops the table in incurring the most losses. As proven by the Wigan fiasco. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly an indicator, but in my opinion it's whether a club's owners have the means or drive to continue pumping tens of millions per year into what is effectively a giant blender for cash especially when income is reduced, a sufficient bailout is looking increasingly less likely and crowds aren't likely to return in full this season. Perhaps more crucially, it's also dependant on how Covid has affected their businesses/personal wealth.

Last edited:

Offhegoes

If the Warwick University stadium plan comes through, we would suddenly be a more attractive club for investors, but until that time I can't see it. I've seen enough this season to think we can compete with the current squad. Keep ourselves in the Championship, and maybe at some point we will finally have our own ground again in Coventry.

Magwitch

If the Warwick University stadium plan comes through, we would suddenly be a more attractive club for investors, but until that time I can't see it. I've seen enough this season to think we can compete with the current squad. Keep ourselves in the Championship, and maybe at some point we will finally have our own ground again in Coventry.
By the time that comes through which in my opinion is a pipe dream we might not exist. This stadium fiasco won’t go on forever

SBT

111 days and counting since the last (and first!) update on the new stadium

robbiekeane

So what can new owners do today under the FFP rules? Can derby splash millions and millions or will they be penalised for that?

Users who are viewing this thread