Match Thread Ipswich Town - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 2nd Dec (1 Viewer)

skyblu3sk

Couldn't watch the match yesterday but just watched the highlights. Thought Collins positioning was really suspect for the first goal covering off an angle already covered by the defender. Godden... Penalty misses happen but always sucks. Fair play Simms pressuring the defender in to putting it in his own net.

robbiethemole

Robins saying our players were 'too timid', WTF ??? WHO picked the wrong side in the first half?
He's so usually so stubborn it seems, but randomly goes apeshit in his selection. I hope we revert back to the side that got us points in the previous games.

CV22SBA

Not wrong.

We were no where near it, did OK for the first 2 minutes with a nice passing move that was based up by a poor pass that was 5-10 yards behind whoever it was meant for.

Comical defending for their first, more comical defending for what should have been their 2nd. If that goes in we'd have been hit for 5, we were all over the shop.

We could barely get out of our half as they harried us from our goal kicks time after time and almost caught us dithering. We were so indecisive on the ball, taking 3 or 4 touches when 1 or 2 would have been better, shying away from simple forward balls to play it back. Some of the passing was abysmal, basic passes going astray, we looked like rabbits in the headlights.

Fair play for their second, Chaplins vision to find their left back with that (was it first time) cross field ball was exceptional which had us stretched but the lack of defending to allow that lad to walk into the box was laughable. Fuck me that was some finish tho.

Ipswich are a good team, well drilled. No fucking about, they worked the ball well and got forward at pace when they had the chance. They were the best I've seen this season I think.
What absolute nonsense. Look at the stats and read the view from their manager. They only had 3 shots on target the whole game, they average 11 this season. How on earth can the score line flatter us. Prat!

Nuskyblue

What absolute nonsense. Look at the stats and read the view from their manager. They only had 3 shots on target the whole game, they average 11 this season. How on earth can the score line flatter us. Prat!
I'm generally relatively positive. That first half was as poor as I have seen us play for a long time. We were miles off.

shmmeee

I'm generally relatively positive. That first half was as poor as I have seen us play for a long time. We were miles off.

For the first while sure, I thought for about ten minutes before the goal went in we looked like the better side. They were very good and the first twenty mins we were nowhere near them, but I think people are overdoing it a bit.

Nuskyblue

For the first while sure, I thought for about ten minutes before the goal went in we looked like the better side. They were very good and the first twenty mins we were nowhere near them, but I think people are overdoing it a bit.
Maybes. We were more in it before their goal but let's be honest we didn't create anything of note and it was still littered with unforced errors. We were also more in the game second half but again there was no clear cut chance or actual sustained pressure where you thought something may happen.

It was also fucking cold there. We have a lot of fans that like to rock a short in sub zero conditions I noticed

shmmeee

Maybes. We were more in it before their goal but let's be honest we didn't create anything of note and it was still littered with unforced errors. We were also more in the game second half but again there was no clear cut chance or actual sustained pressure where you thought something may happen.

It was also fucking cold there. We have a lot of fans that like to rock a short in sub zero conditions I noticed

I mean we missed a pen. You don’t get much clearer cut than that. I’m not saying we were amazing, we were how I’d expect most teams to be a Ipswich this year. I don’t get why it’s triggered this wave of people acting like we’ve just lost 5-0 to Nuneaton.

PVA

I mean we missed a pen. You don’t get much clearer cut than that. I’m not saying we were amazing, we were how I’d expect most teams to be a Ipswich this year. I don’t get why it’s triggered this wave of people acting like we’ve just lost 5-0 to Nuneaton.

Agreed.

First half an hour we were poor and couldn't touch them. Was that us playing shit or them playing well? Bit of both. Doesn't warrant the overreaction we've seen on here.

Ipswich are a bloody good team.

Nuskyblue

I meant from open play but yea a Pen is clear cut looked like a dive live to win it?

Like I say I'm fairly sanguine, hopefully this is a blip because I actually think we've generally been OK this season.

But let's not beat around the bush, that first half performance should have been shot at birth.

SkyBlueSoul

Fucking hell, there's a whole bit on The Athletic about their 2nd goal: "Analysing the Ipswich goal that broke the internet this weekend"

Fuck off.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Agreed.

First half an hour we were poor and couldn't touch them. Was that us playing shit or them playing well? Bit of both. Doesn't warrant the overreaction we've seen on here.

Ipswich are a bloody good team.

I think most people are annoyed because we bowed down to them and basically gave ourselves a two nil handicap by picking such a defeatist line up.

Most people acknowledge Ipswich are good, but we didn't even give ourselves a chance. That's on Robins.

shmmeee

I think most people are annoyed because we bowed down to them and basically gave ourselves a two nil handicap by picking such a defeatist line up.

Most people acknowledge Ipswich are good, but we didn't even give ourselves a chance. That's on Robins.

Defeatist lineup? Because we played Ayari? A little OTT don’t you think?

NorthernWisdom

Defeatist lineup? Because we played Ayari? A little OTT don’t you think?
tbh you could argue the likes of Allen needed a rest too and shouldn't have started, as he tired the game before and hasn't been back *that* long himself from his illness.

So maybe e needed to go *more* defeatist?

As ever, we'll see if he was 'right' after Birmingham really. If it means some of our squad are fighting fit for that, I'd suck it up.

shmmeee

tbh you could argue the likes of Allen needed a rest too and shouldn't have started, as he tired the game before and hasn't been back *that* long himself from his illness.

So maybe e needed to go *more* defeatist?

As ever, we'll see if he was 'right' after Birmingham really. If it means some of our squad are fighting fit for that, I'd suck it up.

He tried something in one of the hardest games of the season. It almost worked. This from the fanbase that’s been whining about “no Plan B” for years.

SBAndy

Fucking hell, there's a whole bit on The Athletic about their 2nd goal: "Analysing the Ipswich goal that broke the internet this weekend"

Fuck off.

It’s an immaculate finish but the key part of the move is really Chaplin flinging it from right touchline to left. This was a symptom of our decision to go narrow and it baffles me that you’d allow Leif Davis essentially free roam of his wing. A ridiculously easy ‘out ball’.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Anyway, draw a line under it. For context we lost at Burnley and Sheffield United last season so it's not necessarily the sign of some great regression. I think Ipswich will last the course.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Ipswich have now scored at least 2 goals at home in 20 matches...

Skyblueweeman

This makes no sense. You realise this is the first time since the opening game they’ve failed to score 3 at home?
It was their 2nd game at home in the league to be fair but I'm with you on your point.

Blackburn, Cardiff, Plymouth, Preston NE, Hull, Millwall, Swansea all lost there, conceding more than we did. And 4 of those are top 8 teams.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Bed wetting ——————— a whole universe of emotion ———————— celebration

I just think it is straw clutching to take only conceding two goals as a win, and it seems to be the go-to response to defend Robins.

Many of the fans were concerned with the line up and proved to be correct. It was stupid and went against everything that was working for us.

Like I said, we basically threw the game before we had even started and that is poor from my perspective.

shmmeee

I just think it is straw clutching to take only conceding two goals as a win, and it seems to be the go-to response to defend Robins.

Many of the fans were concerned with the line up and proved to be correct. It was stupid and went against everything that was working for us.

Like I said, we basically threw the game before we had even started and that is poor from my perspective.

It’s not a win. It’s a loss. Just not the sort of loss than justifies people talking about sacking the manager.

If he threw the game, why didn’t Ipswich catch it? Must be they’re in on the conspiracy too.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It’s not a win. It’s a loss. Just not the sort of loss than justifies people talking about sacking the manager.

If he threw the game, why didn’t Ipswich catch it? Must be they’re in on the conspiracy too.

I think you are missing the point.

Barely anyone has said sack the manager, there is just some fairly weighted concern at him for some of the decisions going on. That includes the team selection on Saturday which raised a lot of eyebrows and rightly so. Many felt like the game was over before it started, and being two nil down at half-time confirms that we did indeed start with the wrong team and formation.

Most people also acknowledge Ipswich are a very good side, but to start the game by handicapping ourselves (which is effectively what we did) is what is frustrating people. 'Well we only conceded two' and the inability to critique the manager for his team choice is also contributing to that as well.

Evo1883

I think you are missing the point.

Barely anyone has said sack the manager, there is just some fairly weighted concern at him for some of the decisions going on. That includes the team selection on Saturday which raised a lot of eyebrows and rightly so. Many felt like the game was over before it started, and being two nil down at half-time confirms that we did indeed start with the wrong team and formation.

Most people also acknowledge Ipswich are a very good side, but to start the game by handicapping ourselves (which is effectively what we did) is what is frustrating people. 'Well we only conceded two' and the inability to critique the manager for his team choice is also contributing to that as well.

In fairness even mckenna acknowledged why Robins changed system, to try and nullify their midfield and if we are being honest they scored a wonder goal and we made a mistake through the middle to allow the through ball .. the manager can't approach every single game the same way and most managers tweak and change team selection and system to counter the opposition from time to time .

shmmeee

In fairness even mckenna acknowledged why Robins changed system, to try and nullify their midfield and if we are being honest they scored a wonder goal and we made a mistake through the middle to allow the through ball .. the manager can't approach every single game the same way and most managers tweak and change team selection and system to counter the opposition from time to time .

No evo! He threw the game cos he stupid and internet fans are geniuses. He must learn!!

Frostie

Spot on. I understood his thinking & it could have worked. The analysts & coaches spend hours analysing footage of opponents & setup accordingly not just "shit themselves" coz we're playing a good side.

We had spells in the game where we were well in the ascendancy which doesn't happen often as an away team at Portman Road. We really need to score in these moments though as they end up defining the result more often than not. After about 25mins we were well on top & then they scored an absolute wonder goal & killed us.

We took far too long to get going though, the first goal was embarrassingly easy & the change in shape/personnel undoubtedly played a part as we looked lost. We also had a lucky escape when van Ewijk forgot to push up with rest of the defence & played Broadhead clean through.

fernandopartridge

Spot on. I understood his thinking & it could have worked. The analysts & coaches spend hours analysing footage of opponents & setup accordingly not just "shit themselves" coz we're playing a good side.

We had spells in the game where we were well in the ascendancy which doesn't happen often as an away team at Portman Road. We really need to score in these moments though as they end up defining the result more often than not. After about 25mins we were well on top & then they scored an absolute wonder goal & killed us.

We took far too long to get going though, the first goal was embarrassingly easy & the change in shape/personnel undoubtedly played a part as we looked lost. We also had a lucky escape when van Ewijk forgot to push up with rest of the defence & played Broadhead clean through.
We didn't really get enough bodies in to their box when we were in possession though, got into some ok crossing positions. Thought Sheaf too often wanted more touches than he needed, O'Hare as usual picked up little bits of space but it was like we weren't used to that option.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

PVA

I'm sure if we'd have set up the same way as against Plymouth and lost 4-0 the same people crying about Saturday's lineup would be commending Robins for having a go.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm sure if we'd have set up the same way as against Plymouth and lost 4-0 the same people crying about Saturday's lineup would be commending Robins for having a go.

We had a system that was working and we threw it in the bin to play conservative. Unsurprisingly to those that were skeptical, it was the wrong move. Robins made changes at half time (which he never does) which just confirms it was a bad call.

The set up resulted in us going in at half time two down. We then flipped back more towards the system we had been successful with and we then looked better.

Some people think football is just like football manager and it's some sort of simulation. Data and stats isn't enough. There was no common sense in what Robins did and the arguments for it are weak at best. We lost. After starting the game with a disadvantage we inflicted on ourselves.

Most people wouldn't have really given a fuck if we would have lost against Ipswich as they're a strong team, it was the way we went about it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Godden and Saka starting instead of Ayari and O’Hare is more of a gamble how exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread