Is this the way forward??? (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

DISGRUNTLED fans have set up their own football club to protest against Coventry City's plight.

Coventry United was launched by four businessmen after City went into administration back in March.

They have outlined continued support for their bigger neighbours but said the club's motives could change if owners Sisu take the Sky Blues out of the city.

Chairman Jason Kay said it was not intended to become a replacement but could if the Sky Blues were moved out of the city.

He told the Observer: "Are we disgruntled with Coventry City? Yes.

"Will we watch them outside of Coventry? Absolutely not.

"A lot of supporters don't want to go outside of Coventry and I wanted to do something about it. I thought I'd spend my money on a club within the city."

Mr Kay, managing director of Electric Wharf-based IT firm Currant Ltd, has sponsored City matches in the past as well as strikers Cody McDonald and Marlon King.

And he said United could eventually be similar to that of AFC Wimbledon, which launched after the original club was moved from London to Milton Keynes.

He has already bought the rights to AFCCoventry.com - in case the club decides to go down that route.

"It wasn't our objective but the more we talk to people the more they would like it to be.

"I want people to support all teams that play in Coventry, including CCFC.

"I'll be back to the Ricoh if they get it sorted with ACL and United will become my second team.

"But if they stick to their guns and leave the city, that's when it becomes an issue.

"So I'd be hesitant to say it could be the next AFC Wimbledon because it all lies with the club."

United will play their home games at Westwood Heath Sports Ground in the Midland Combination Division Two - nine divisions below League One.

But among the players is striker Brian Ndlovu, brother of former star Peter, and management have already set their sights on promotion.

United will play in red shirts with sponsor Graham Plumbers' Merchant adding a touch of green - meaning they will play in the city's civic colours - but a future switch to sky blue has not been ruled out.

Read more: Coventry United formed in protest against Sky Blues' owners Sisu | Coventry Observer

@richh87

Not a high standard of football by any means, and It would take a very long time to reach professional football.

Where did AFC Wimbledon start?

@richh87

Not a high standard of football by any means, and It would take a very long time to reach professional football.

Where did AFC Wimbledon start?

Just checked (wiki)

When AFC Wimbledon was formed, it affiliated to both the London and Surrey Football Associations, and entered the Premier Division of the Combined Counties League, which is the ninth tier in English football.

coop

We've all got to start somewhere FairPlay and good luck. I for one and many others will not be going to any home games outside the ricoh.

mark82

Just checked (wiki)

When AFC Wimbledon was formed, it affiliated to both the London and Surrey Football Associations, and entered the Premier Division of the Combined Counties League, which is the ninth tier in English football.

2 above Mid Comb 2.

mark82

To be honest, I applaud what they are doing but would rather set up a fan owned club if it came to it. This looks like just a privately owned club. Not for me.

And what is everyone's obsession with using AFC for Phoenix clubs. It's rubbish and doesn't denote a Phoenix club.

@richh87

To be honest, I applaud what they are doing but would rather set up a fan owned club if it came to it. This looks like just a privately owned club. Not for me.

And what is everyone's obsession with using AFC for Phoenix clubs. It's rubbish and doesn't denote a Phoenix club.

I would just call it 'Coventry'.

Teams like Arsenal and Everton don't need a second name.

_brian_

We've all got to start somewhere FairPlay and good luck. I for one and many others will not be going to any home games outside the ricoh.

Give them a chance, mate! I doubt they could afford the Ricoh just yet!

mark82

I think if you started a true fan owned breakaway that had a few hundred or even a few thousand fans they would place you higher, maybe mid comb premier. Maybe even Midland Alliance.

I was wrong before, Wimbledon started 3 above this at equivalent of Midland Alliance.

mark82

I would just call it 'Coventry'.

Teams like Arsenal and Everton don't need a second name.

Agree. Or something that represents CCFC more, like:

City of Coventry FC (to retain CCFC initials)
Coventry 1883 FC
Coventry Singers FC

carlh25

I think if you started a true fan owned breakaway that had a few hundred or even a few thousand fans they would place you higher, maybe mid comb premier. Maybe even Midland Alliance.

I was wrong before, Wimbledon started 3 above this at equivalent of Midland Alliance.

Leamington had quite a lot at their first game and started at mid comb2. They are now conference north against the mighty Stockport county.

mark82

Leamington had quite a lot at their first game and started at mid comb2. They are now conference north against the mighty Stockport county.

Yep, have followed Leamington for a few years now. Will probably go more this season.

carlh25

Yep, have followed Leamington for a few years now. Will probably go more this season.
At £11 it's not a bad price to watch that level of football. They are just in need of helpers to get work done to bring them up to the ground grading standard for conf north. I go on their fans forum (the banter) quite often but everyone there is friendly enough.

mark82

At £11 it's not a bad price to watch that level of football. They are just in need of helpers to get work done to bring them up to the ground grading standard for conf north. I go on their fans forum (the banter) quite often but everyone there is friendly enough.

Have seen you on the banter a few times. Would be down there mucking in if I lived nearby. It's what a community club should be about.

lordsummerisle

Don't give Dongle any ideas, he'll have them renamed Coventry and playing at the 'Ricoh.

To be fair, not seen them sice the old AP days really, used to love te Windmill Road groundas a kid, never had to pay as just went through the hole in the fence.

They;ve had great crowds for their level of football since they restarted though, and pleased doing well.

dongonzalos

Don't give Dongle any ideas, he'll have them renamed Coventry and playing at the 'Ricoh.

To be fair, not seen them sice the old AP days really, used to love te Windmill Road groundas a kid, never had to pay as just went through the hole in the fence.

They;ve had great crowds for their level of football since they restarted though, and pleased doing well.

Don't give Tim any ideas he will have them under the same name playing in Northampton.

Nuneaton is more realistic couple of leagues below and may welcome the help

SkyBlueRuffian

Ndlovu plays for them. so they have a fighting chance of success. Also 9 leagues below League One they are, SISU could have 3 stadiums built by the time they reach our current level.

carlh25

Leamington is a proper community team not very well supported by Warwick dc as they insist on always helping racing club Ben foster Warwick. The ground is shaping up just need to raise the money to make the necessary improvements but loads of the fans are mucking in. If city don't play in cov this year then worth going over there.

Users who are viewing this thread