Is your town a coventry city stronghold ? (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was wondering whether anyone living outside of Cov can tell us how much their town is a Cov town , whether you're in Hinckley, Leicester (optimistic) Daventry, Stratford , etc

I'm in Rugby, population about 75,000 second largest town in Warwickshire . A fair few Leicester fans as we are a couple of miles from Leicestershire border but this is a largely a Cov City town. We might be keeping a low profile at the moment while the Foxes fans flaunt their hats and scarves but this is a Sky Blue catchment area.

Isn't that reassuring ? :)

Terry Gibson's perm

My house is just but I don't think my town is as it seems to have a real mix here.

skybluetony176

I was wondering whether anyone living outside of Cov can tell us how much their town is a Cov town , whether you're in Hinckley, Leicester (optimistic) Daventry, Stratford , etc

I'm in Rugby, population about 75,000 second largest town in Warwickshire . A fair few Leicester fans as we are a couple of miles from Leicestershire border but this is a largely a Cov City town. We might be keeping a low profile at the moment while the Foxes fans flaunt their hats and scarves but this is a Sky Blue catchment area.

Isn't that reassuring ? :)

Same as you. From Rugby. Always seemed to have come across plenty of Leeds and Spurs fans for some reason too.

I always thought Southam and Leamington/Warwick were the CCFC strongholds in Warwickshire?

pusbccfc

Living over my side of the city, I am very close to Solihull, especially Meriden and Balsall Common. Both them areas are divided, despite having CV postcodes many of them like to consider themselves from Solihull or even Birmingham (God only knows why). There is a decent number in both who consider themselves from Coventry and there is a good number of City supporters.

mark_ccfc

I was born in Cov but now live in Nuneaton. There are a fair few cov fans here but I wouldn't call it a Cov stronghold. 3 or 4 miles down the road is Hinckley (Leicestershire) where they seem to be mainly Leicester fans.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I live in Stratford and can safely say there aren't many Coventry fans here. Mainly Villa fans (who never go) or standard united, Chelsea, City, Liverpool etc. Sad really

Chez78

Came from leamington originally, plenty of Cov and Villa, most OG them are either Utd, Spurs or Liverpool though.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Same as you. From Rugby. Always seemed to have come across plenty of Leeds and Spurs fans for some reason too.

I always thought Southam and Leamington/Warwick were the CCFC strongholds in Warwickshire?

I work in Southam and those interested in footy seem to follow a mixture though there are quite a few city fans.Used to work in Daventry and that appeared to be absolutely full of Aston Villa fans - possibly because of the huge number of Brummies working at Ford.

Sky Blue Harry H

Come from Leamington, have lived in Cov and now Warwick. Loads of Cov over in Leamington/Warwick area - a lot are middle aged / older - my worry is that our current owners are making a real long term following harder and harder. A few years of struggling, we're used to - but if they openly declare their hand and plan to just let us wither on the vine for a good few years, it might take while to get that younger generation back from the outlying areas. That said,whichever division we were in, if we were towards the top, I believe the fans will turn out in good numbers!

Covkid1968#

Me and 3 other City fans in my village. Some of Greg Abbotts family live 5 doors down and they are Bell G so def Cov. Mostly leics fans unfortunately but it irritates the feck out of them that I am a proud Coventry kid.

Alan Dugdale

I grew up in Rugby and first started going to away games at that time (early 80's). There was a smattering of Leicester fans, but of the football fans that went to games it was a CCFC town. There was a pub in the town (Saracens Head) where coaches travelled to away games and there was a supporters club that had club nights involving 'discos' and CCFC guests. Membership of the supporters club must have been 200+. Off the top of my head I remember Dave Sexton, Harry Roberts and Rudi Kaiser all making appearances there. I particularly remember loads travelling from there when we played at West Brom in the quarter finals of the cup, when a number of extra coaches had to be sorted.

I imagine that these days as we've slid down the leagues, the Premiership and wall to wall coverage of it on TV that our support there is not so great. A shame if that is the case.

skybluedan

I'm in jersey and there is me and another couple of cov fans I've met ,all glory boys here, tbf though there ain't really a team to support

woody11462

My granddad worked for Massey Ferguson and he moved to a small village in St Helens called Rainford. My mum and dad followed not long after in 1987. Despite moving to Merseyside on the back of a FA cup win I constantly had the piss taken out of me and was referred to as a 'cockney'. I can say that I have never come across another City fan in Merseyside but I met my Mrs in 2005 and moved to Eccles and then Swinton in Salford. Since being in Manchester area I have met a couple of Coventry lads and apparently there is Cov bloke living opposite me on my street but I've not had to courtesy of speaking with him yet.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

i know a few city fans around daventry but around town you tend to see united chelsea and arsenal fans been a massive increase in barca and real madrid fans in the last 5 years to

skybluetony176

I grew up in Rugby and first started going to away games at that time (early 80's). There was a smattering of Leicester fans, but of the football fans that went to games it was a CCFC town. There was a pub in the town (Saracens Head) where coaches travelled to away games and there was a supporters club that had club nights involving 'discos' and CCFC guests. Membership of the supporters club must have been 200+. Off the top of my head I remember Dave Sexton, Harry Roberts and Rudi Kaiser all making appearances there. I particularly remember loads travelling from there when we played at West Brom in the quarter finals of the cup, when a number of extra coaches had to be sorted.

I imagine that these days as we've slid down the leagues, the Premiership and wall to wall coverage of it on TV that our support there is not so great. A shame if that is the case.

Pretty sure the landlord at the Avon Mill still does a coach to home games.

The Philosopher

I never could understand why, during the rent row, CCFC didn't use Butlin Road in Rugby. Decent ground, sky blue seats, in an area with mainly Cov fans and easier to get to for the majority.

The reserves played there a few years back on a regular basis.

They chose Northampton instead and the results are well known.

Anybody know why not Rugby? I think the ground is FL Standard.

Just curious.

CJ_covblaze

Pretty sure the landlord at the Avon Mill still does a coach to home games.

Mac used to do one or even two coaches to home games plus one to a few aways. He told me last year that in the final season before our relocation he was struggling to fill a mini bus. Not sure what numbers he's getting now though.

Covcraig@bury

I know there are 6 cov fans living near me in tottington/ greenmount/ ramsbottom . 4 of us used to go every game home and away for 10-15 years.now we meet up for a pint when it's on the TV. Loads of utd/ city plastics who wouldn't know how to find the ground. But not many Bury .

skybluetony176

I never could understand why, during the rent row, CCFC didn't use Butlin Road in Rugby. Decent ground, sky blue seats, in an area with mainly Cov fans and easier to get to for the majority.

The reserves played there a few years back on a regular basis.

They chose Northampton instead and the results are well known.

Anybody know why not Rugby? I think the ground is FL Standard.

Just curious.

To the best of my knowledge they were never asked. I go up occasionally and never heard anything. I have a good mate who's a regular and is in the knitting circle, he knows the stewards by first names etc. and I'm sure he couldn't have resisted mentioning it as he thinks I'm a glory boy for going to Coventry by preference. Mind you, he doesn't think I'm as much of a glory boy as he used to :)

skybluetony176

Mac used to do one or even two coaches to home games plus one to a few aways. He told me last year that in the final season before our relocation he was struggling to fill a mini bus. Not sure what numbers he's getting now though.

If I plan ahead and get tickets early I've occasionally gone with them. He had two for the Gillingham game and one for the Yeovil game. Not sure after that.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Surprisingly, there are a number of Cov fans here on the Isle of Wight. :)

Suffolkskyblue

Growing up in Kenilworth in the 60s and 70s I was in the minority supporting City then. Hate to think what it's like now!

ollyservetta

im in Daventry now and ther are a few cov but its mainly villa ,blues ,arsenal and spurs .grew up in Kenilworth and in the 70s the 517 bus from stratford , warwick , leamington ,Kenilworth to pool meadow used to get crammed with city on matchdays from earlyish morning till late at night coming back. lived round droitwich and Worcester for a number of years and I was on me own . do remember being on holliday down hastings met a lad from brighton and he and his dad wer city fans and his dad said ,in the road they lived in brighton ther wer 3 familys of city fans.

Evo1883

im 30 so when i was at secondary school between 96-2001 united were massive in the premier league and alot of lads had supported liverpool as they were the team in the 80s , id say only 50% of kids supported coventry and thats being kind .
now on my facebook whenever i put anything up about city it gets a couple of likes etc , no real attention .
then lads will say something about united or liverpool and there are a shit ton of comments of coventry lads defending their teams (united or liverpool) like its life or death ...so so so sad and pathetic , then in another sentence they will say they are proud cov lads etc blah blah ...load of shit glory twats

B-Ban-Boogie

Here in Bradenton,FL I have only ever met 1 other Cov fan. (a few years back that was too)
85% of my yanks friends are Man Utd fans and not just because they are glory hunters. (admittedly most are..)
A few of them support Man Utd due to the Glaziers. (who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

M&B Stand

Here in Bradenton,FL I have only ever met 1 other Cov fan. (a few years back that was too)
85% of my yanks friends are Man Utd fans and not just because they are glory hunters. (admittedly most are..)
A few of them support Man Utd due to the Glaziers. (who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

There used to be a Cov fan run a bar in downtown St Petes called the Moon Under Water, they have sky sports news on constantly!

Closer to home, Tamworth has a few City fans knocking around, there's four of us where I work. Back in the early 90's there was a coach that used to go from Tamworth to the odd away game. I know a few in atherstone as well. Not too many go anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread