Is your town a coventry city stronghold ? (1 Viewer)

Astute

I live on an island near the lake district. Around here they are mainly top Prem sides and non league clubs. I am all alone here other than my 5 year old lad. More rugger than football. But I have met several Cov supporters in the lake district.

Gaz71

I'm from Long Lawford and there are a few Cov fans here. I went to Wolston School where Cov players used to jog too from Ryton, so got to watch them out of the school window.
I work in Milton Keynes where there is a lot of Cov fans who say when they didn't have a team Cov or Watford were the closest team to watch top flight football and a lot chose us!

Skyblueweeman

I live between Portsmouth and Chichester...never ever seen another Cov shirt in this area. Mainly Pompey or Southampton with your regular dose of glory hunting mates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reverend Skyblue

I know of one fan in Diss, me

there is suffolkskyblue in Stowmarket who I've been to a couple of games with, and we are sure there is a skyblue fan in Norwich who has been sighted.

regarding Banbury where I was born and lived near for fourty years there is a fairly large fan base , I know loads personally ,many of my cousins are and I have a big family in the area, though not many go since the relocation , they just stopped and haven't been back.

Alan Dugdale

Remember travelling to Oxford on the train in the mid 80's, and when it stopped off in Banbury a lot of our hoolies were getting excited about the prospect of some Oxford fans getting on board only to find the platform full of City fans.

Tonylinc

I know of one fan in Diss, me

there is suffolkskyblue in Stowmarket who I've been to a couple of games with, and we are sure there is a skyblue fan in Norwich who has been sighted.

regarding Banbury where I was born and lived near for fourty years there is a fairly large fan base , I know loads personally ,many of my cousins are and I have a big family in the area, though not many go since the relocation , they just stopped and haven't been back.
Lived in Pulham St. Mary from 1993 - 1998 and there were a few around then but have now probably fallen by the wayside as most have.

Travs

I'm in Bedworth. If we're talking real fans who follow their team, then yes it's a city stronghold. Far outnumbered though by mongs who support Manchester United and Liverpool.

I think Nuneaton is less of a stronghold due to the influence of Borough, but city fans probably making up towards 50% of the active support in that town. After that you're hitting Leicester territory.

Interestingly I was at Leamington Town vs Hednesford a few weeks ago. The Hednesford fans, who I'd always considered North Birmingham/Staffordshire, referred to themselves as 'Black Country Boys' and mocked the Leamington fans for being 'brummie bastards'

M&B Stand

I'm in Bedworth. If we're talking real fans who follow their team, then yes it's a city stronghold. Far outnumbered though by mongs who support Manchester United and Liverpool.

I think Nuneaton is less of a stronghold due to the influence of Borough, but city fans probably making up towards 50% of the active support in that town. After that you're hitting Leicester territory.

Interestingly I was at Leamington Town vs Hednesford a few weeks ago. The Hednesford fans, who I'd always considered North Birmingham/Staffordshire, referred to themselves as 'Black Country Boys' and mocked the Leamington fans for being 'brummie bastards'

Non league fans are a bit odd.

the rumpo kid

highfield road in the sixties and seventies, had tons of fans coming from all over to the games. away fans coaches parked at the back of gosford park. and city fans from leamington warwick Bedworth Nuneaton southam rugby Hinckley and loads of others all had there own city supports clubs and would park there coaches on swan lane from the small island right up past quinny's dairy, (now county builders), there were dozens of them every home game.

The Reverend Skyblue

Brackley . Used to have a few fans but don't know any others now. MK Dons on the up around here.
As I mentioned before I lived most of my life in the Banbury but more accurately Brackley area. I lived for many years on the French estate, Champion court to be precise, and went through Magdelen college school in the town .i lived all my life up to when I left home in the village of Croughton nearby ,then went to live in Brackley when I was about 25, there wasn't a city fan there either,except me and my dad.
As far as I remember in all that time I never came across another Skyblue fan, they are all London clubs fans. Brackley is the ultimate commuter town. It's still growing fast

egastap

Absolutely. London Ontario has its own chapter of the CCFC Supporters Club. Oops......on second thoughts, maybe that's Cardiff.

pusbccfc

Sumo the Micky Quinn

No. Not here.

However here in Caleta de Fuste in Fuerteventura, I know of 3 other City fans, other than my family.

One isn't a big follower as he originates from Worcester, but says he follows City, due to his uncle being Alan Green (City from the 70's - Not the 5-live presenter).

My next door neighbours were also Villa and Leicester fans, before they put the rent up 50% and we all moved out. One of the local bars closed down recently was called 'Villa Pizza' with Villa logos all over the place, never stepped foot in there.

Tonylinc

No. Not here.

However here in Caleta de Fuste in Fuerteventura, I know of 3 other City fans, other than my family.

One isn't a big follower as he originates from Worcester, but says he follows City, due to his uncle being Alan Green (City from the 70's - Not the 5-live presenter).

My next door neighbours were also Villa and Leicester fans, before they put the rent up 50% and we all moved out. One of the local bars closed down recently was called 'Villa Pizza' with Villa logos all over the place, never stepped foot in there.
Hoping to come over there in Feb. for a short break.....must meet up......PM me your exact location

Sky Blue Harry H

No. Not here.

One isn't a big follower as he originates from Worcester, but says he follows City, due to his uncle being Alan Green (City from the 70's - Not the 5-live presenter). My next door neighbours were also Villa and Leicester fans, before they put the rent up 50% and we all moved out. One of the local bars closed down recently was called 'Villa Pizza' with Villa logos all over the place, never stepped foot in there

Good on you, helping close down a Villa stronghold. I have a mate who emigrated to Oz about 25 years ago who used to love Alan Green, and if we were looking for him in the West End, we would either spot his red leather biker jacket (don't ask) or aim for the 'Greeenoooo' chant that he was invariably bellowing! Happy days.

Last edited:

Bob Latchford

You get a fair scattering of ccfc fans here in Dorset.

johnb

Back in the day of the Sky Blue Special, 1966 to 1969 ish when travelling south the train always had a planned stop at Rugby station to pick up about 100 plus City fans.

Ashdown

No. Not here.

You must reside fairly close to 'Tommy Nutters' ??

Ashdown

Burbage, SW Leics. 75% Leicester, 15% Cov, 10% other ! In a village of 18,000, that makes for quite a lot of us. Not sure how many attend games regularly though !

Ashdown

Not far, although I work on the market next to where Tommy Nutters moved to within the last 3 years.

Incidentally - One of their waitress's is from Radford.

Yes a girl called Jo I think ? We stayed on the complex October 2013, we bought a few bits off the market too. Nice little community around there, although we did witness trouble with Moroccans kicking off with each other on the grounds a couple of times.

city old boy

I was wondering whether anyone living outside of Cov can tell us how much their town is a Cov town , whether you're in Hinckley, Leicester (optimistic) Daventry, Stratford , etc

I'm in Rugby, population about 75,000 second largest town in Warwickshire . A fair few Leicester fans as we are a couple of miles from Leicestershire border but this is a largely a Cov City town. We might be keeping a low profile at the moment while the Foxes fans flaunt their hats and scarves but this is a Sky Blue catchment area.

Isn't that reassuring ? :)

It's a good job there's plenty of us willing to travel as cov in cov fans can't be bothered to get of there arses and support the team. Whats happened to 12k that went on the march

Mr pot

I'm from a town called alcester which you could say is trapped between brum and cov. Mostly villa fans here a few blue noses and a tinge of black country teams. Working in Stratford upon Avon the Birmingham teams seem more popular but the fans never seem to bother going to the games.

I enjoy the pleasure of taking these fair weather fans I work with for example to the games home and away. It seems most Midland fans have a soft spot for the mighty sky blues. Coventry is a true footballing city and working in a hotel meeting people all over the UK they appriciate this.

City till I die

Gazolba

I was wondering whether anyone living outside of Cov can tell us how much their town is a Cov town , whether you're in Hinckley, Leicester (optimistic) Daventry, Stratford , etc

I'm in Rugby, population about 75,000 second largest town in Warwickshire . A fair few Leicester fans as we are a couple of miles from Leicestershire border but this is a largely a Cov City town. We might be keeping a low profile at the moment while the Foxes fans flaunt their hats and scarves but this is a Sky Blue catchment area.

Isn't that reassuring ? :)

Don't know of any other Coventry fans here in Phoenix, Arizona.
Most people have never heard of Coventry.
I always tell people, "it's where they make Jaguars" even though that is not true any more.
I only know one other football fan who for some reason follows Manchester City.
Most people with an interest in football have never heard of any team outside the top half of the Premier League.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread