Jack Grimmer (1 Viewer)

Murphy pissed me off. Mainly because you knew he had it when he wanted to and then others he would stand with his hands on his hips.

It was quite funny watch people nearly have heart attacks shouting at him, they rarely made any sense.

I remember him having hands on hips a few times, losing the ball and not tracking back ... we always seem to be losing already when that happened.

But, as has been said, he was a kid and clearly had elements to improve upon. The abuse he received, as you mention above was unbelievable at times... many questioned his ability and chose to label him “shit”, stats obviously don’t mean everything but for a 19 year old to play his first full season in men’s football and score 10 and assist 10 was incredible really. The frustrating thing at times was that he seem to have more to give, never ever lacked in ability though.

When on song though, showed his premier league potential ... not established yet but definitely has a chance.

Legia Sky Blue

We have a high proportion of shouty fans who don't get that certain flair players are not going to be the best at tracking back. In most cases its best to just let them be, and save their energy for attacking. Murphy was a case in point, as before him had the likes of Baker, Salako and David Smith, who all had also suffered from significant parts of our crowd getting onto them for not getting stuck in. When those same players then lose their confidence largely brought about by that stick from our shouty mob it inevitably affects their forward play too. I maintain that Murphy's drop in form was as much to do with our fans getting on his back as it was his own failings as a footballer.

SlowerThanPlatt

Jacob Murphy didn’t make the bench for Newcastle in their opening game.

Some Norwich fans didn’t particularly rate him when he was there and were amazed a Premier League club stumped up £12m for him

Covstu

I have been disappointed that Grimmer hasn’t got a start, I would have thought if we could have kept the main bones of the Wembley winning side as best as possible to give us a positive start. We are only 2 games in however so don’t need to protest just yet

ccfcricoh

I'm not sure i believe the whole, loan so must be played as part of the agreement thing...

Very much doubt you'd sign a youngster who you then had to play, surely that then limits options instead of actually improving them.

Grimmer was nailed on to start last season so by dropping him Robins could just be proving a bit of a point so that when he does come in he steps up, hopefully will get a chance at Oxford

Skyblue_CP

Not sure why people love Grimmer so much, Sterling is no worse defensively, (Grimmer was at fault for several goals last year) and has a better delivery into the box. Dont think i saw a good cross from Jack at all last year!

Legia Sky Blue

Not sure why people love Grimmer so much, Sterling is no worse defensively, (Grimmer was at fault for several goals last year) and has a better delivery into the box. Dont think i saw a good cross from Jack at all last year!

Has Sterling made a delivery into the box? He hasn't really got far enough forward to do so yet!

fernandopartridge

Sterling delivered any crosses yet? Grimmer scored in his second appearance for us haha

Legia Sky Blue

Looking at the line up tonight there must be every chance that Sterling will play further forward in a wing back role, so hopefully he will get the chance to get further forward & we can see how he shapes up doing so.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Looking at the line up tonight there must be every chance that Sterling will play further forward in a wing back role, so hopefully he will get the chance to get further forward & we can see how he shapes up doing so.
Clive Eakin thinks he's playing as a right sided midfielder.

Sky_Blue_Ste

How did he play? Heard different things but it does sound like he was partially at fault for one of the goals last night.

He’s just inconsistent & had a bad preseason I think. We didn’t sign a loan right back to sit on the bench. Sometimes Grimmer was great but would be found out a little against better sides at times defensively & his end product was a bit suspect.

I think Sterling is here to make him sit up & be more consistent. It is a step up from L2 & not everyone will make it.

Gibbo

Neither goal was on his side.
Brown got sucked into the middle on both occasions, altho first one down to him having to take a gap left by Hyam. The cross in was good and headed in by a WHU loanee, exactly where Hyam should have been

eastwoodsdustman

How did he play? Heard different things but it does sound like he was partially at fault for one of the goals last night.

He’s just inconsistent & had a bad preseason I think. We didn’t sign a loan right back to sit on the bench. Sometimes Grimmer was great but would be found out a little against better sides at times defensively & his end product was a bit suspect.

I think Sterling is here to make him sit up & be more consistent. It is a step up from L2 & not everyone will make it.

If he is here to make Grimmer sit up then he's doing it the wrong way. Sterling was dreadful last night and by all accounts was just as bad at Wimbledon. I genuinely felt sorry for both full backs last night as they had no cover or support in front of them until Shipley came on with 15 minutes to go.

Nick

Administrator
Brown got sucked into the middle on both occasions, altho first one down to him having to take a gap left by Hyam. The cross in was good and headed in by a WHU loanee, exactly where Hyam should have been

Didnt he get bullied with the headed goal?

Littlewood CCFC

Are you sure? Lol brown was covering hyam because hyam closed the ball carrier on the right wing.. when the ball came in grimmer tucked in which is exactly what he should do as a full back defending a cross from the other side. He just got bullied in the air. His fault.

Sky_Blue_Ste

Sorry, just seen the goals & it was typical of his defending on those type of goals (the first one). Last night should have been him reclaiming his position in the side yet he just seems to have continued his preseason form. He gets caught will diagonal high balls time & time again.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

For the first goal the first fault is Hyam's, he is far too slow getting out to his man, but to say Grimmer couldn't do anymore is ridiculous. Once that ball is played in, he's in the right position to win it. As an attacking side I would say it was a great header from the lad, but from our perspective, you've got to ask more from Grimmer, especially as some people are saying he should be playing centrally in a back three!

Users who are viewing this thread