Jay Bothroyd eager to make his mark for England (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

_49984616_010652992-1.jpg

Cardiff striker Jay Bothroyd is determined to ensure his England call-up is not a one-off.

David Nugent was the last player from a Championship club to play for England, but he has not added to his single cap against Andorra in 2007.
The 28-year-old has been called into the squad for Wednesday's friendly with France at Wembley as a reward for scoring 15 goals so far this season.
"Once you get a taste you want to do well and stay in the fold," he said.
Bothroyd's England call follows the late flourishing of a career that began at Arsenal and has involved spells at Coventry, Perugia, Blackburn, Wolves, Charlton and Stoke.
The forward said he still harbours regrets over his departure from the Gunners 10 years ago, when he was sold for disciplinary reasons after throwing his shirt at then coach Don Howe after being substituted in an Under-19 cup final.
"When I was younger I made a massive mistake but I was a nipper and you try to learn from mistakes," added Bothroyd.

"It was disheartening to leave and I've had a long journey. I like to think I am back on track now.
"There have been lots of downs but the last couple of years I have knuckled down. I have made a conscious effort to turn my life around."
Bothroyd trained with the England squad for the first time on Monday and did his best not to be overawed by the exalted company.
"It was the best day of my career to get that call and I am happy to be here," he said.
"When you meet players like Stevie Gerrard and Rio Ferdinand you feel you have to step up and show your worth.
"They are world-class players, it's terrific. If I am involved on Wednesday it will be another great day for me."

Jordan Henderson

Bothroyd's fellow England new boy and former sky blues loanee Jordan Henderson said he would not be intimidated by the household names in the squad.

The 20-year-old did not train on Monday after playing a starring role in Sunderland's 3-0 win at Chelsea on Sunday.
"I'll give players respect and go out and prove to people what I can do," he said. "I spoke to (Sunderland team-mate) Darren Bent a little bit, he told me what to expect.
"I'm really looking forward to it, I'll train well and hopefully get a chance to play.
"It's a great opportunity for me and a few of the younger lads to show what we can do. I'll do everything to try and take that chance."

England squad for the international friendly against France at Wembley on Wednesday, November 17:
Foster (Birmingham), Hart (Man City), Green (West Ham); Cahill (Bolton), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jagielka (Everton), Lescott (Man City), Richards (Man City), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Smalling (Man Utd) Warnock (Aston Villa); Walcott (Arsenal), Wilshere (Arsenal), Young (Aston Villa), Gerrard (Liverpool), Barry (Man City), Johnson (Man City), Milner (Man City), Henderson (Sunderland); Bothroyd (Cardiff), Carroll (Newcastle), Crouch (Tottenham), Cole (West Ham).

BenInTurin

Facebook User
There's aload of strikers missing... I think capello will probably give him the second half, see that he's a lazy twat and that will be the end of his international career!

covladzak

And I forgot about the Newcastles wife beater in the England squad......:eek: Remember Bothroyds days at Coventry... Shite comes to mind......Kyle Lightborne was better..... Now thats Bad!

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I'm all for Championship players getting a big of limelight because a lot of Championship players are highly undervalued by the higher reaches of football... but why does it have to be Bothroyd :( Also where's Kevin Davies from Bolton in that team?

Also great to see young Henderson in the team, fair play to the lad if I bother to watch the game it will only be to see how he does

BenInTurin

Facebook User
Henderson is a great player, and to think us fans were hoping we would sign him.

Users who are viewing this thread