JH's views in 1966 (4 Viewers)

georgehudson

City versus Soton,
& the ball was played out of the Soton defence diagonally towards the half way line,
in the Soton team was England international Terry Paine, who had 15yards to chase to get the ball,
he started sprinting but it came to a Michael Jackson style moonwalk as he neared the ball having glimpsed George Curtis in full flight sprinting 25 yards to win the ball,

colin101

Broke my heart when George went to Villa, George how could you (But of course they were a 3rd division team at the time HA)

Calista

Remember the guy with a big Urn on his back with a pipe that filled your cup and the heat from the Urn kept your pies warm MMMMmmmm. :)
Wasn't there a walking soup dispenser man called "Soupy Sam" ? Great big sky blue vat of soup, not sure about the flavour - possibly "Primordial"!

Wheelfass

Broke my heart when George went to Villa, George how could you (But of course they were a 3rd division team at the time HA)
Such the cult hero that he was, me and three mates complete with our City scarves under our jackets took a coach ride from "The Medda" over to Vile Park to watch him play in his home debut.
Years later and when he had retired from playing he had a roll like a commercial manager at the club. He brought the squad to the Telegraph where they signed autographs for the fans that were queueing for a hundred yards down Corporation Street. I was working in the press room and so in between editions I walked round to the front office and asked him what it was like playing for Villa after all of the years with the City. I was expecting there to be a lamentable story about devided loyalties, feelings of disloyalty etc etc. However, he just said "It was a job.... like yours, It's just what you have to do". I suppose he was right.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

City versus Soton,
& the ball was played out of the Soton defence diagonally towards the half way line,
in the Soton team was England international Terry Paine, who had 15yards to chase to get the ball,
he started sprinting but it came to a Michael Jackson style moonwalk as he neared the ball having glimpsed George Curtis in full flight sprinting 25 yards to win the ball,

Wasn't that the game that George headed out a bullet of a shot and the ball burst? George just stood there laughing, One tough mudda was George!

Users who are viewing this thread