Jimmy Saville - The Reckoning (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Disturbingly excellent performance from Steve coogan but you really have to peer behind the curtain

I don’t know if I liked watching or not - a bit too realistic in some ways

eastwoodsdustman

Speaking of steve coogan, did anyone see keir starmer walking with angela raynor yesterday?
Action slacks, sports shoes with ice white sole. He looked pure alan partridge as he strolled along uncomfortably trying to look cool.

clint van damme

Disturbingly excellent performance from Steve coogan but you really have to peer behind the curtain

I don’t know if I liked watching or not - a bit too realistic in some ways

Next on my list after I finish my current bit of light viewing about the Yorkshire ripper.
In between Im following the news on what's going on in Palestine, not sure it's good for my state of mind!

Sick Boy

Speaking of steve coogan, did anyone see keir starmer walking with angela raynor yesterday?
Action slacks, sports shoes with ice white sole. He looked pure alan partridge as he strolled along uncomfortably trying to look cool.
It’s weird how all politicians seem to manage this quite well!

Grendel

A lot of people in general wouldn’t have a bad word said against him even though there was plenty of evidence knocking about.

There was no public knowledge I don’t think

People wherever he worked knew clearly but I think he built such a powerful reputation and power and influence they wouldn’t be believed

Grendel

Next on my list after I finish my current bit of light viewing about the Yorkshire ripper.
In between Im following the news on what's going on in Palestine, not sure it's good for my state of mind!

I won’t talk too much about what happens then but he looks a wrong un I think

Sick Boy

There was no public knowledge I don’t think

People wherever he worked knew clearly but I think he built such a powerful reputation and power and influence they wouldn’t be believed
Not explicitly but reading between the lines something wasn’t right, the Jersey children’s home thing being a good example. That Louis Theroux documentary also showed him to be a very strange individual in general.

AiS86

Recommended watch, but I certainly regret watching all 4 episodes before sleep. Haunting to think how much he got away with, and how many other incidents will never come to light

Flying Fokker

Still amazes me how everybody turned a blind eye.
He gave off a vibe in the 70’s. I never saw him as someone I would trust (Albeit my view that I’d not trust him with anything). I think it was his brazen bullshit approach towards most things.

Flying Fokker

I watched a few minutes of it, gave up at the point where he was about to creep on a young girl before someone interrupts them. Not a reflection on the programme itself but knowing that all went on makes it too grim for me to watch
A lot of what he and others did was not even challenged.

Otis

Being serious for a sec, I was just thinking about all the kids that did appear on Jim'll Fix It and had a most wonderful time. Those memories must be forever tarnished mustn't they. Same as anyone who has footage of their kid on that show..

Way to destroy a wonderful memory.

Obviously absolutely light years away from those who were actually abused by him. But was just thinking they already had awful memories of him. Those that went on the show and had a once in a lifetime, wonderful experiences, must now want to be erasing those memories.

Grendel

The stuff of nightmares#

rob9872

Watched the Long Shadow. Really good. Seen the first Saville so far.

Some stark similarities really and I don't mean in the crimes, but more in how the world has changed because all of the facts were there but without more modern technology nobody could join the dots. Sutcliffe had been in multiple times on different areas of the case that someone would've picked up as more than coincidental, but records too vast to cross check. Similarly all of the accusations at Saville independently brushed off, but cumulatively too much to ignore.

Having said that, and in no way excusing Saville, or his catalogue of disgusting crimes, having seen how some have thrown themselves at L2 footballers locally, then whilst he was very dark and wrong, I imagine a lot would've been consensual too wanting to be around his celebrity status if only for others he had access to. Really wish it would have happened that he was brought to task whilst he was still alive to see it played out in court.

oakey

I still find it surprising that so many think Savile was some aberration. He is just an extreme example of a predator who had more opportunity and contacts than most. There are thousands of predators out there harming women, children and vulnerable men. We just decide not to notice or believe what others are capable of.
Most women of my generation (retired) were either victims of abusers or can tell you of "near misses" if they are honest. Many blame themselves or circumstances. I am constantly amazed that so many men either don't believe it or find it surprising. In my experience they would rather not know.

clint van damme

Ive tried to insert a spoiler but not sure if its worked so be carful before reading on,

I've watched episode 1, the scene where his mum goes to confession, how do they know she had concerns he was a wrong un?
Was that just dramatisation or has it been documented somewhere?

Nick

Administrator
Did a girl really kill herself and after him saying he never knew her, a picture came out with his hand on her bum?

Grendel

I still find it surprising that so many think Savile was some aberration. He is just an extreme example of a predator who had more opportunity and contacts than most. There are thousands of predators out there harming women, children and vulnerable men. We just decide not to notice or believe what others are capable of.
Most women of my generation (retired) were either victims of abusers or can tell you of "near misses" if they are honest. Many blame themselves or circumstances. I am constantly amazed that so many men either don't believe it or find it surprising. In my experience they would rather not know.

I suppose there was something unique in that it was large scale and he seemed to thrive in looking odd and attracting that attention

He is an extreme example of a typical abuser profile though

- Gets into a position of influence
- A pillar of the community
- Does charitable acts to enhance reputation as a good and respected person
- Charming and likeable on the outside (one thing Saville wasn’t really)
- Become an important member of an organisation to assist in their choice of perversion as there’s a rather audience of ripe potential victims
- no shame
- denial and genuine denial there’s nothing wrong

It’s also very easy to point fingers at people who knew. Victims want speak as they are generally ashamed and if they do are vilified and become the perceived criminal.

Those who work with such people also are at risk of being viewed as causing trouble and ruining their own lives.

it’s not that easy

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Some of the things Savile said in his own defence are similar in terms of sounding convincing to what I hear Russell Brand saying.

Grendel

Did a girl really kill herself and after him saying he never knew her, a picture came out with his hand on her bum?

i assume that’s a dramatic representation and not a fact

NortonSkyBlue

Like Russell Brand the Jimmy Savile story is one known to most at the time. He was enabled, probably encouraged, to live his life that way.
How anybody can say they were not aware of Brand‘s shenanigans is just not hearing what he was telling us and the same with Savile. Maybe because both were so blatant that it was thought it can’t be so?
Savile was a predator seeking out the most vulnerable and got away with it. He knew his reputation was about to be in tatters and died. Escaped justice but his legacy was destroyed.

Users who are viewing this thread