Joe Murphy (1 Viewer)

orig skyblue87

Never rated him since his arrival and im becoming increasingly concerned by his negative influence on the team and especially the back four.

He doesnt command is area, hes an ok shot stopper but seems to have a constant need to palm the ball back into play rather than push it away from goal.

Any chances the opposition has hes outside his box berating anyone whos in earshot. We currently are playing three of last seasons back four whos confidence surely cannot be helped when if like me they have no confidence in the keeper.

Time to give Dunn or Burge a chance?

Black6Osprey

I don't really agree with that and all good goalkeepers berate the defenders. Its hard to blame a goalkeeper for our team playing rubbish. He certainly wasn't to blame for either goal yesterday.

gally9

I assume you haven't seen Dunn in action, he isn't the answer and indeed Joe Murphy isn't the problem..

covboy9

he's a good keeper, very precious but a good keeper, anyone would be fucked off with whats going on in front of him, remember westwood used to go ballistic

skybluedaze

I think he's ok. The situation is so bad at the moment everything's magnifide 100%. The centre halves are hardly commanding in the area either. Both goals shouldn't have been conceded yesterday. Especially the second one. The defending was to blame, not the keeper. That's the problem in this terrible situation. The defence blame the keeper, the keeper blames the defence, and the fans blame anyone within walking distance of the ground. Truth is, all the team are to blame. They're shocking. They all have the ability, but nobody is interested. The only lad that really wanted to make a difference yesterday was McGoldrick. How long before he's bitten with the negativity bug and stops performing? :thinking about:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think having Murphy in goal is the least of our problems. I wouldnt change him for either Burge or Dunn. Have seen nothing that says either would improve the situation

Also do not have a problem with him shouting at other players, he is in a position to see in detail the mistakes happening infront of him and the gaps that need covering. Seem to remember a certain danish keeper (not same class obviously)at Old Trafford that was always berating players, think that team was stronger for it. We should not be shy of setting high standards and players demanding more from team mates

Gaz

Think having Murphy in goal is the least of our problems. I wouldnt change him for either Burge or Dunn. Have seen nothing that says either would improve the situation

Also do not have a problem with him shouting at other players, he is in a position to see in detail the mistakes happening infront of him and the gaps that need covering. Seem to remember a certain danish keeper (not same class obviously)at Old Trafford that was always berating players, think that team was stronger for it. We should not be shy of setting high standards and players demanding more from team mates

Couldn't agree more OSB.

CovKingChris

Facebook User
I'm guessing none of you saw Murphy shouting even before the ball was completely over the line yesterday then.

He's an awful goalkeeper, but is probably better than Dunn and Burge.

tippex9

Damn having a such a bad keeper, damn him for saving in a one on one vs Stevenage when Edj gave it away in second half and against Yeovil when their striker was clean through and when he saves a pen in the shoot-out before scoring the winner and for shouting at a team who are being criticised for being too quiet.....

Atleast we know who's single handedly responsible for our current situation.

Grendel

I'm guessing none of you saw Murphy shouting even before the ball was completely over the line yesterday then.

He's an awful goalkeeper, but is probably better than Dunn and Burge.

Define awful? How many goalkeepers we have had in the championship have been better than him. I reckon 3 and of I can think of at least 7 who were worse.

TrakiaPlovdiv

Murphy is a Major Problem!

For anyone who knows anything about goalkeeping you are taught to Command your area, Organize your defence and Parry the Ball wide & away from the danger area if you cant catch it.
He does none of these! What he does do is drag the back four into the six yard box as he does not come out to challenge for the ball under pressure. Blame the defenders for not winning it when we concede a goal and generally shatter the confidence of the youngsters in front of him. Some say he is a good shot stopper. That is the easy bit as long as you get your positioning right, but he pushes it back in the danger zone too often with costly results.
We have been fortunate to have had a number of very good goalkeepers over the years but in my opinion Murphy is the worst since Eric McManus and regularly costs us points.
In my opinion it is no coincidence the teams he has played for have been regularly struggling at the wrong end of the table.
I am not saying it is all his fault but if you build from the back and don't concede goals you are not going to lose many matches!

rob9872

I like Murphy. He's no Westwood and was always going to be compared unfortunately having directly followed him and thta's unfair. We were very lucky to have Westy and in our current plight I consider us very fortunate to have Murphy too ... I do wish he would come and catch a few more corners though.

Grendel

His goals against record is marginally worse than Westwood. In a full season he concedes an average of 8 goals more a season and that in a much poorer team.

So are you seriously telling me he is worse the Fabian Dubec, Hyldergaard, Shearer, Goram, Avramovic just to name a few?

rob9872

Two Andy Gorams, theres only two Andy Gorams

skybluedude

I think we got spoiled with Westwood. Might be worth trying to get him back on loan, hardly ever plays for Sunderland.

pusbccfc

His save against Crewe was immense.
Also
Anyone who went to West Ham away in New Year... How good was he, insane performance!

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Murphy has come on leaps and bounds since the second half of last season and is a very good keeper at this level. I think I echo the thoughts of the majority on here when I say he is the last person we want to be dropping now, and is not part of the problem at this club.

georgehudson

TPlovdiv, i read & understand what you posted, which, is, an astute appraisal of his abilities,
the downside is, no money for a replacement, well done sisu,
so we have to go with what we have, & if Burge shows promise,
he will be sold, Dunne is still raw despite his age, time for Oggy to get to grip methinks

Sky Blue Sheepy

I'll say from my experience of playing 11-a-side that having a vocal keeper is a must. He also made a stunning 1 on 1 save on Sunday and can't see either Burge or Dunn being near him for the near future. That said, I do agree he needs to push shots out to the side rather than forward. Then again, with our record at set pieces...

PVA

I assume you haven't seen Dunn in action, he isn't the answer and indeed Joe Murphy isn't the problem..

Well said.

Can't believe how many people seem to rate Dunn so highly. Murphy is a good keeper at this level and the least of our problems.

sidskyblue1967

It`s so easy to blame the Keeper ......... I agree Joe should probably have done better with the first goal on Sunday .
However we don`t have Keogh and to a lesser extent Cranie in front of him now .
I think our back four is very weak ........ then again so is mid field .

Oh dear , here we go again !!!!

PUSB

SID

TrakiaPlovdiv

Listen, I am not a Murphy hater. I just think that with Oggy's experience and being the goalkeeping coach Murphy should be better at doing the basics. As I said in my post, He's a decent shot stopper but that should be a given for a pro keeper.

As for Hyldergaad, Abramovic etc....you obviously never saw Eric McManus and he played for us when we were in Europe let alone league 1.

Grendel

Listen, I am not a Murphy hater. I just think that with Oggy's experience and being the goalkeeping coach Murphy should be better at doing the basics. As I said in my post, He's a decent shot stopper but that should be a given for a pro keeper.

As for Hyldergaad, Abramovic etc....you obviously never saw Eric McManus and he played for us when we were in Europe let alone league 1.

But you said he was the worst since McManus so you must rate all other keepers above him. I reckon he is one of the best in League One.

rob9872

Tbf he should be good because the team in front of him always ensure that he gets plenty of practice

TrakiaPlovdiv

Grendel, its only a matter of opinion and what I think. I think the team have many faults. I actually thought Thorn should have been supported more and given a chance. However, with some of the players we now have in the squad and the way we are performing i am beggining to question his scouting capabilities. With Murphy, maybe its a confidence thing but I just expect a keeper with his experience to rise up, be a leader and inspire confidence in his defence, but I don't ever see that.

lordsummerisle

Grendel, its only a matter of opinion and what I think. I think the team have many faults. I actually thought Thorn should have been supported more and given a chance. However, with some of the players we now have in the squad and the way we are performing i am beggining to question his scouting capabilities. With Murphy, maybe its a confidence thing but I just expect a keeper with his experience to rise up, be a leader and inspire confidence in his defence, but I don't ever see that.

To be fair to Thorn in this instance, would not a goalkeeper be scouted by a goalkeeping scout? Oggy or somebody?

TrakiaPlovdiv

To be fair to Thorn in this instance, would not a goalkeeper be scouted by a goalkeeping scout? Oggy or somebody?

I mean't the squad in general on this point. I was initially pleased when we signed Murphy but he just hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Whoever comes in is going to have their work cut out to inspire confidence in the team to get into the winning habit again.

lordsummerisle

I mean't the squad in general on this point. I was initially pleased when we signed Murphy but he just hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Whoever comes in is going to have their work cut out to inspire confidence in the team to get into the winning habit again.

Murphy is okay, but would be one hell of a lot better if he came out and caught the ball for fucking once instead of ineffectually palming it away.

That aspect of his game does drive me mad.

skybluedude

I think if we had Murphy before Westwood then peoples opinion would be different, but Westwood was clearly a good Premier League standard keeper, and people have forgot about these little mistakes keepers can make.

Users who are viewing this thread