John Motson (1 Viewer)

Robinshio

back in the day, only him and Barry davies (with coleman and Gubba acting as stand ins) did match of the day commentary
Motty was always number one and got the best games

tisza

He had a pop at David Pleat when he called us a small provincial club that played above themselves.

fernandopartridge

He wasn't one of my favourite commentators, particularly in later years as he seemed to become a parody of himself but he was still the voice of some iconic football moments. That Liam Brady curler for Spurs at Arsenal being my non-Cov memory.

rob9872

To show your respect you should mott mott mott until you have your loved one squirting like an old garden hose

Happy_Martian

I have two great memories of Motty and Coventry. Obviously, the FA Cup final is one, as others have mentioned.

My other is of an average away game at Everton sometime in the early 90s. Nuddy had run the entire length of the pitch and chipped Neville Southall to make the game 1-1 just before half time. This prompted the ecstatic Cov fans attending that chilly day to begin the Sky Blue Army chant. This proceeded through half time and well into the second half with no pauses. Bobby Gould wrote in the following weeks home game programme that Motty had come up to him after the game and referenced that and had said it had greatly impressed him to a point where we had got the hairs on the back of his neck to stand up.

Truly a legend. RIP Motty.

Bad Boy

Complimentary of the cup final, and I remember him raving about Robbie Keanes debut which he covered. He stole the show with his talk at Jimmy Hills memorial too. Im sure all clubs have their motty moments. "The sky blues are sky high". RIP motty
In the closing moments 'Has the Sky Blue Express come far enough down the line'

slowpoke

Part of our past football tradition a John Motson commentary, took over from the equally legendary Kenneth Wolstenholme which was an hard act to follow.
A sad day.

Sky Blue Pete

I have two great memories of Motty and Coventry. Obviously, the FA Cup final is one, as others have mentioned.

My other is of an average away game at Everton sometime in the early 90s. Nuddy had run the entire length of the pitch and chipped Neville Southall to make the game 1-1 just before half time. This prompted the ecstatic Cov fans attending that chilly day to begin the Sky Blue Army chant. This proceeded through half time and well into the second half with no pauses. Bobby Gould wrote in the following weeks home game programme that Motty had come up to him after the game and referenced that and had said it had greatly impressed him to a point where we had got the hairs on the back of his neck to stand up.

Was at that game still remember it fondly was a great day 1-1 draw lol

AJB1983

For me his best commentary was Gazza’s goal in euro 96. Simple and just accompanied a piece of brilliance.

OyJimmy

I remember the Liverpool faithful making the hairs on my neck stand up when they sang their team to victory in ta Champions league final. The great thing about football is that you can at times just enjoy being in the moment, even when it’s not your team

AndreasB

He was treated badly.
It became fashionable to laugh at him as some sort of 70s anachronism with his sheepskin coat and stats etc.
Barry Davies got all the precious few big games the BBC had and when Davies retired they preferred mouthy twats like Jonathon Pearce and Alan Green

He ended up on 5 Live and was an absolute pleasure as a commentator and presenter where his knowledge and enthusiasm for the game had more time and space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashdown

Will always be the iconic football commentator of my youth. He was the voice of football highlights.
We did scoff occasionally back then at his fawning over the likes of Liverpool a bit too much but then they were the best in the 80s.
RIP Motty

Users who are viewing this thread