Josh Eccles (1 Viewer)

SBT

I don’t want to mention his corners, and actually fair play to him for persevering, but he needs to realise when to give up and let someone else have a go
Just insanely patronising stuff for someone who’s created several goals and chances from his set pieces this year.

Which of the several other corner takers we’ve had so far this season has really impressed you?

procdoc

Just insanely patronising stuff for someone who’s created several goals and chances from his set pieces this year.

Which of the several other corner takers we’ve had so far this season has really impressed you?
he's put all these long rants full of waffle and spat his dummy out because not one person agrees with him

wingy

I thought it was a re brand account, blue skies forever but he's been more on it TBF,in fact possibly ahead of the game I think?

Old Warwickshire lad

It’s quite simple,Eccles keeps improving. He is still relatively young,and the management are still improving him.
He has lulls in form like most players,but always seems to come back stronger.
As long as he keeps improving he deserves us fans to back him 100% , the Manager does and he knows better than any of us.

Grendel

I’m trying to explain what I see as being behind some people’s opinions, and what you / others on this thread see as ‘hatred towards a homegrown player’

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the player as much as it is to do with some people believing he’s the best thing since sliced bread, particularly I guess because he’s also homegrown and, turning the argument on its head, meaning he therefore perhaps gets more leeway in terms of making mistakes for instance, and almost viewed with rose tinted glasses by some.

He wouldn’t be playing for us if he wasn’t good enough, but I think some people see the putting him on a pedestal that happens as unjustified.

My comparison with Maddison is simply to give a player who did deserve to be put on that pedestal when he was with us, and nothing more - he won’t ever be that good but a lot of very good midfielders aren’t.

Just to clarify, and I’m sure I’ve said it before anyway, I don’t think he’s a bad player at all and have nothing against the lad - he’s improving, he cares about the club and gives his all when he plays, and more importantly than any of that he wears Sky Blue - whoever is picked and plays I’m 100% behind..

Maddison was useless with us for the second half of his one full season - he contributed nothing

fernandopartridge

the management believe our midfield is in the top 3 or 4 in the whole league. Eccles is a key part of that midfield and he's been really good this season. Anyone that fails to see this just doesn't understand the game
Indeed, and likewise anybody who marks him or Sheaf down because they're not playmakers capable of 60 yard passes (even though they both have actually done this) also doesn't understand the game.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Indeed, and likewise anybody who marks him or Sheaf down because they're not playmakers capable of 60 yard passes (even though they both have actually done this) also doesn't understand the game.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If we hadn’t sold Hamer would Eccles be playing first team? Why have we signed Torp? The idea that anyone suggesting we need a CM post Hamer “doesn’t understand the game” is ludicrous.

Otis

I really like him and think he's a very valuable player for the club.

Hopefully he can get even better still.

Frostie

If we hadn’t sold Hamer would Eccles be playing first team? Why have we signed Torp? The idea that anyone suggesting we need a CM post Hamer “doesn’t understand the game” is ludicrous.
That's not about Eccles or Sheaf not being good enough though, both are excellent at their actual role, it's that we need a different dynamic in addition.

duffer

I personally think he’s a bit weak on the ball and often turns into trouble, his overall picture of what’s ahead and around him could be better…

I don’t want to mention his corners, and actually fair play to him for persevering, but he needs to realise when to give up and let someone else have a go

Occasionally I also see him out of position, and berating others around him for not picking up what should be his man.

BUT he also does play good forward passes contrary to some opinions, and he doesn’t shirk a tackle, plus he’s obviously passionate.

I mean, having said all this I was a big fan of Jordan Shipley and was a bit gutted when we let him go, however he was also marmite with fans and had things he needed to improve on, but in my opinion would’ve been a great player had he had the opportunity here, so 🤷🏼‍♂️

I suspect it's the manager that decides beforehand who is taking the corners, letting the players argue about it at the time would seem a bit "Sunday League".

(On that note, I like to think I could deliver a decent right-foot inswinger at least once in every 400 attempts. Luckily we were so crap that we only got one corner every three seasons. I always used to raise one hand in the air before taking them anyway, to pretend to the opposition that we had some kind of plan). 😄

Martin180

Except any time someone says that it’s taken as “Eccles is shit” despite virtually no one saying that.
Noone does say that to be fair but its the other statements
" League 1 standard at best "
" Too slow in possession"
" Gets caught on the ball a lot "

MalcSB

I personally think he’s a bit weak on the ball and often turns into trouble, his overall picture of what’s ahead and around him could be better…

Occasionally I also see him out of position, and berating others around him for not picking up what should be his man.

BUT he also does play good forward passes contrary to some opinions, and he doesn’t shirk a tackle, plus he’s obviously passionate.

I mean, having said all this I was a big fan of Jordan Shipley and was a bit gutted when we let him go, however he was also marmite with fans and had things he needed to improve on, but in my opinion would’ve been a great player had he had the opportunity here, so 🤷🏼‍♂️
Don’t you think that Robins tells Eccles to take the corners?

Calista

Seems to be an assumption that Torp has been bought for one of the two holding positions in a 4-2-3-1. Not sure that's the intention, as his attacking qualities seem far greater than his defensive ones?

Probably too simplistic to think he would 'take Eccles place' in that formation, and we have no idea whether he'd be able to. More likely another string to our bow depending on the opposition, tactics and state of play.

Manchester_sky_blue

Seems to be an assumption that Torp has been bought for one of the two holding positions in a 4-2-3-1. Not sure that's the intention, as his attacking qualities seem far greater than his defensive ones?

Probably too simplistic to think he would 'take Eccles place' in that formation, and we have no idea whether he'd be able to. More likely another string to our bow depending on the opposition, tactics and state of play.
It's been stated a few times by journalists that Torp is able to play multiple midfield roles

procdoc

It's been stated a few times by journalists that Torp is able to play multiple midfield roles
Robins said the other night you need players that offer different options. They pick teams based on the opposition as well as the other things such as fitness, form etc. Torp offers a different dynamic to Eccles and Sheaf, as does Jamie Allen. It doesn't mean those players are being replaced or are not good enough

Legia Sky Blue

No doubt he doesn't play like O'Hare (who does?), but at this moment he is more likely to have been brought to play in place of O'Hare than Eccles, even if it doesn't happen until next season.

Brylowes

No doubt he doesn't play like O'Hare (who does?), but at this moment he is more likely to have been brought to play in place of O'Hare than Eccles, even if it doesn't happen until next season.
If you’re talking about Torp, I think he’s probably been bought in for his versatility, only going by what I’ve read on him but sounds as though he might be comfortable across a range of midfield positions.

MTK

I agree. He’s a player who came through our academy and he looked completely at home out there today against a PL team. I think it’s important having one of your own lads in the team - it creates a connection between the team and the fans. I love it anyway

Matt smith

Was superb today

I’m banging on about sheaf and Torp

eccles is first choice in my opinion, just gives too many silly fouls away, but that’s nit picking

Hertsccfc

Also always been a fan. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up in the Premier League fairly soon. Showed today he can cope well against Premier League players and was one of our best players.

ptr

It’s never been a debate for me. He’s a player that most teams would have at our level, if not all. Hope he’s one of those that sticks with us for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread