Just a thought (1 Viewer)

BackRoomRummermill

Yep we lost to West Brom, some people think the season is over etc - well for me as long as we did not go down this season I was happy I thought mid table and we have a bonus of a FA cup run - 90 mins from Wembley - another thought is I don’t think we are ready for promotion and would end up like shef utd -

alexccfc99

Yep we lost to West Brom, some people think the season is over etc - well for me as long as we did not go down this season I was happy I thought mid table and we have a bonus of a FA cup run - 90 mins from Wembley - another thought is I don’t think we are ready for promotion and would end up like shef utd -
It makes me laugh that when we sold Vik and Hamer everyone accepted it was going to be a transitional season with some highs and lows but now that has actually come to fruition people are complaining about it

clint van damme

It makes me laugh that when we sold Vik and Hamer everyone accepted it was going to be a transitional season with some highs and lows but now that has actually come to fruition people are complaining about it

This is nothing new for our support.
The season we came up the majority of people said they'd be happy to stay up then a lot of them proceeded to moan like fuck when we then played like a team who were in a relegation dogfight.

Sky Blue Harry H

I think as a fanbase we need to be a bit careful between now and the end of the season. Careful, as in keep showing our 'love;' of the team/club. I know the forum doesn't always reflect the support in the stadia, but if any collective disappointment of the season fizzling out, C O'H negativity (think some people have been quick to jump on the 'he's already checked out' bandwagon a bit unfairly) is vented, then there is a danger of undoing the fantastically positive experience that we have created for fans and players alike.
Next season, we will have MVE, Sheaf, Tats, Torp (big fan) plus the likelihood of several exciting signings. Let's not self destruct as a result of a minor bump in the road.

Sky Blue Harry H

The season we came up the majority of people said they'd be happy to stay up then a lot of them proceeded to moan like fuck when we then played like a team who were in a relegation dogfight.
And earlier this season, people would have snapped your hands off for where we are now. A lot of revisionism going on. I'm already steeling myself for the manic rantings of a few individuals over the odd misplaced pass against Rotherham.

Hertsccfc

I hadn't accepted that this would be a transitional season and I don't think it needed to be.

We were well placed in January and if King had supported Robins by adding a couple of extra players we would probably have made the play offs with a strong chance of success. Instead other teams like Ipswich and Hull did it and will get that opportunity at our expense.

We have been too inflexible in our approach and there is a risk that the forward impetus has gone. We are also stuck with some players on long contracts who are of questionable ability.

alexccfc99

I hadn't accepted that this would be a transitional season and I don't think it needed to be.

We were well placed in January and if King had supported Robins by adding a couple of extra players we would probably have made the play offs with a strong chance of success. Instead other teams like Ipswich and Hull did it and will get that opportunity at our expense.

We have been too inflexible in our approach and there is a risk that the forward impetus has gone. We are also stuck with some players on long contracts who are of questionable ability.
Ipswich were more than likely going to finish above us regardless of what we did

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Every season is transitional players come players go To me it's the way you deal with it .This season the team took far to long to settle down.I do think now we might even take the decision to stop playing O'hare as he has clearly decided he is moving on.
On a side note Ellis should spend till tuesday practicing keeping those shot down terrible wasteful.
As for the season we maybe outsiders now but some strange results between now and the end we still got 33 points to play for

PVA

And the ones that were predicting a relegation battle 5 games into this season are now throwing their toys out the pram because we've dropped to 9th.

stupot07

Every season is transitional players come players go To me it's the way you deal with it .This season the team took far to long to settle down.I do think now we might even take the decision to stop playing O'hare as he has clearly decided he is moving on.
On a side note Ellis should spend till tuesday practicing keeping those shot down terrible wasteful.
As for the season we maybe outsiders now but some strange results between now and the end we still got 33 points to play for
Definitely this. I never got the "it's the transitional season" we lose and sign players every summer as all clubs do. We spent what £25m+ this season too.

You have to build season by season, and this season looks to be the first season since Robins come in that we won't have had an improvement in where we finish. The benchmark was high because of finishing in the play off, but that is the benchmark for an improvement on last season.

Re: OP. I will likely go, but I'm not particularly excited by going to Wembley for a cup semi final. My opinion has always been, Wembley should be for finals only, and I've always hated that the semis are now at Wembley. Just a money spinner for the FA and Club Wembley the prize of getting to the final should be playing at wembley.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

alexccfc99

Definitely this. I never got the "it's the transitional season" we lose and sign players every summer as all clubs do. We spent what £25m+ this season too.

You have to build season by season, and this season looks to be the first season since Robins come in that we won't have had an improvement in where we finish. The benchmark was high because of finishing in the play off, but that is the benchmark for an improvement on last season.

Re: OP. I will likely go, but I'm not particularly excited by going to Wembley for a cup semi final. My opinion has always been, Wembley should be for finals only, and I've always hated that the semis are now at Wembley. Just a money spinner for the FA and Club Wembley the prize of getting to the final should be playing at wembley.

Because each team has a cycle - We showed promise in 2021/22, then following on from that, that team was ready to go up last season - it failed to get over the line so we have had to start that cycle again

This team isn't ready, it is not the season for us with the strength of the Top 4, next season this team will be stronger as individuals and with a few additions it will be ready

It is easy to say we should have signed X and Y but for what? One play off spot where we would have to take a Leeds, Saints or Ipswich over two legs and then win at Wembley on top of that - a minute possibility

Hull, for all their impressive business are starting again from scratch if they don't go up this season, under our former owners if we had crammed our squad full of loans like that people would have wanted Fisher publicly hung drawn and quartered

Fergusons_Beard

We’re building incrementally-King’s said that from the start.

He’s doing it sustainably and not just spunking money for the sake of it.

Hull will be fucked if they don’t go up this season.

Same for the relegated Prem team who don’t get promoted.

Ipswich have also spent big on a gamble-esp in Jan transfer window.

This summer transfer business is going to be huge-we are going to buy some real gems and we will be in line for the automatics never mind the playoffs next year.

Only have to look at Brentford as a model-took them long enough to get promoted after lots of near misses.

But they had steadily built themselves a stacked team that was made to stay up in the Premiership-not a Yo-Yo team.

Fuck being one season wonders-Trust in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

shmmeee

We’re doing so much better than I expected this season. Last two games have been frustrating. It’s frustrating we didn’t chuck millions at loans in Jan. But that’s because as a fan I decided to up my expectations, not because of anything the club has done wrong.

The attitude of the fans this season is the worst it’s been in seven years. So weird.

Otis

I think as a fanbase we need to be a bit careful between now and the end of the season. Careful, as in keep showing our 'love;' of the team/club. I know the forum doesn't always reflect the support in the stadia, but if any collective disappointment of the season fizzling out, C O'H negativity (think some people have been quick to jump on the 'he's already checked out' bandwagon a bit unfairly) is vented, then there is a danger of undoing the fantastically positive experience that we have created for fans and players alike.
Next season, we will have MVE, Sheaf, Tats, Torp (big fan) plus the likelihood of several exciting signings. Let's not self destruct as a result of a minor bump in the road.
That's the thing, Harry, a minor bump in the road is reacted to like we've just been involved in a 35 car, motorway pile-up.

fernandopartridge

This season has been a bigger change than most let's be honest, at this point the literal spine of last season's team has gone.

shmmeee

This season has been a bigger change than most let's be honest, at this point the literal spine of last season's team has gone.

It’s a new team. Like the Vik and Gus team was, like the Walsh and Godden team was, like the Biamou and McNulty team was, hopefully not like the Chaplin and Ogogo team was (though that would mean promotion next season with the Godden and Walsh team)

theferret

I agree people have got carried away with expectations this season, but don't recall what you describe in the 1st season after promotion. There was a lot of realism that season (we had max up front for most of it), people were very aware of the squad we had. May have been the odd performance that was criticised but generally people were delighted with the outcome.

Don't forget also the backing they got at the beginning of this season and especially last season when things were very grim.

Think people are going over the top right now, although some of the criticism is warranted. Expectations are perhaps a little too high, but people see the amount of money spent and the position we got ourselves into and get a bit giddy when we lose a game.

Hertsccfc

We’re doing so much better than I expected this season. Last two games have been frustrating. It’s frustrating we didn’t chuck millions at loans in Jan. But that’s because as a fan I decided to up my expectations, not because of anything the club has done wrong.

The attitude of the fans this season is the worst it’s been in seven years. So weird.
If we don't get into the play offs, which looks unlikely now, we have gone backwards in my eyes. Success in football isn't measured in how much you have followed 'the model' but how successfully the team is. For the first time in years we will have done worse in the league than the year before and I put this down to slavishly following the model rather than being pragmatic as we have done in the past.

I'm sorry but for me the 'but we own all our players' line doesn't compensate for that. We can argue that this means that we are set up better for next season but I am not sure that is true and it feels like a missed opportunity. Will players like Dasilva and Simms suddenly turn into great Championship players? If not we are stuck with them on long contracts. That's the problem with the model.

I get buying promising players and developing them for a profit is a good strategy but it shouldn't be the only approach. Leaving Robins short of players in January, because adding a Kieffer Moore or another experienced striker, would break the model was foolish in my view. It has also meant we have had to overplay some players in matches resulting in injuries and loss of form and confidence.

Is there a risk we lose Robins because of this inflexibility? I haven't a clue but it doesn't seem inconceivable to me.

Legia Sky Blue

I agree people have got carried away with expectations this season, but don't recall what you describe in the 1st season after promotion. There was a lot of realism that season (we had max up front for most of it), people were very aware of the squad we had. May have been the odd performance that was criticised but generally people were delighted with the outcome.

Don't forget also the backing they got at the beginning of this season and especially last season when things were very grim.

Think people are going over the top right now, although some of the criticism is warranted. Expectations are perhaps a little too high, but people see the amount of money spent and the position we got ourselves into and get a bit giddy when we lose a game.

While supporters were happy with the eventual outcome of our first season back in the Championship, it was definitely a troubled journey for some on the way there with enless bedwetting on here, led by Matt Smith's previous alias, bemoaning amongst other things the waste of a loan signing in Gyokores and 'where are the goals coming from?', and talking Rotherham up with all their games in hand like they were certs to win them and send us down. The defeat at QPR was the lowest point!

messiahrobins

See your point but i do think we are at a bit of a cross roads. Body language wise MVE Simms Wright Thomas Collins Da Silva Binks dont seem to have the same passion Mcfadzean Godden (before this season) Kelly Bidwell Allen Wilson had when they were all playing in the same team. I just dont feel that bond with the fans is quite the same, i know they run to the fans etc and MVE does his fist pump thing, but it seems all a bit forced whereas previously with the old guard it just seemed so natural.

Deity

See your point but i do think we are at a bit of a cross roads. Body language wise MVE Simms Wright Thomas Collins Da Silva Binks dont seem to have the same passion Mcfadzean Godden (before this season) Kelly Bidwell Allen Wilson had when they were all playing in the same team. I just dont feel that bond with the fans is quite the same, i know they run to the fans etc and MVE does his fist pump thing, but it seems all a bit forced whereas previously with the old guard it just seemed so natural.
Didn’t see very forced when that held up Tats shirt on Monday

SAJ

Yes of course blow a load of money with no guarantee, we’ve been there before with no success. We have only been looking at 5th as a maximum. Even if we manage to get to 6th, which is starting to look unlikely, there is still no guarantee.

bigfatronssba

I think it started to seem easy to reach the play offs again. Its obviously not.

At the start of the season I felt that we had to be in or around the play offs, which we still are.

However I always felt that next season we would be a real force. And I for one am looking forward to that.

We will add in the summer, and only lose those that we want to (O'Hare being the exception).

I'm looking forward to a season where we finally beat the likes of Preston & Swansea. Where we spend the entirety of the season in the top 6.

We still aren't ready to go up. 12 months from now I think we will. And as we will have done it gradually, and sustainably, it will give us a much better chance of staying there

Cov kid 55

Spot on, we can’t win every game, unfortunately there’s always another team trying to stop us from winning, and very often they have good, experienced players. Look at the experienced pro’s Albion brought on last night. And it’s surely not in O’Hare’s nature to take his eye off the ball because he’s ‘already gone’. He wants to play every minute and win every game. If anything, he’s trying too hard, things don’t come off and he gets frustrated. People criticising him need to remember what a pleasure it’s been to watch him in a Sky Blue shirt. Patience is needed from the fans, I’m guessing top 10 this season, and we go again next season.

Saddlebrains

Very well put

Hertsccfc

Yes of course blow a load of money with no guarantee, we’ve been there before with no success. We have only been looking at 5th as a maximum. Even if we manage to get to 6th, which is starting to look unlikely, there is still no guarantee.
Do you really think it's as simple as multi million pound signing with four year contract good, loan signing bad? I believe to get out of this division you need to make the most of both markets to get the highest quality players.

No one is talking about blowing loads of money on loans. However, leaving the squad short of numbers and quality and getting injuries because of that doesn't represent value for money. We have spent heavily in the summer and are committed to the wages for those players for 4 years in most cases. The cost of loans would be minimal compared to that.

Somehow I suspect Ipswich fans aren't saying how much they wish they had spent £3 million on Simms and four years worth of wages instead of signing Kieffer Moore. I know which I think will prove to be the better value for money.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

This summer transfer business is going to be huge-we are going to buy some real gems and we will be in line for the automatics never mind the playoffs next year.
So wasn't this season big in the transfer market and the only gem we got along with some average players was Tats. We have since picked up Thorp in Janurary .Are expecting loads of jems coming in if so I hope they blend quicker than this season .If some people on here had their way we would be getting rid of double figures in personal.I dont know were they the funds will come from to service that.

Otis

If we don't get into the play offs, which looks unlikely now, we have gone backwards in my eyes. Success in football isn't measured in how much you have followed 'the model' but how successfully the team is. For the first time in years we will have done worse in the league than the year before and I put this down to slavishly following the model rather than being pragmatic as we have done in the past.

I'm sorry but for me the 'but we own all our players' line doesn't compensate for that. We can argue that this means that we are set up better for next season but I am not sure that is true and it feels like a missed opportunity. Will players like Dasilva and Simms suddenly turn into great Championship players? If not we are stuck with them on long contracts. That's the problem with the model.

I get buying promising players and developing them for a profit is a good strategy but it shouldn't be the only approach. Leaving Robins short of players in January, because adding a Kieffer Moore or another experienced striker, would break the model was foolish in my view. It has also meant we have had to overplay some players in matches resulting in injuries and loss of form and confidence.

Is there a risk we lose Robins because of this inflexibility? I haven't a clue but it doesn't seem inconceivable to me.
Unfortunately, it took some players and incredible amount of time to get going this season didn't it.

Think we were expecting, or at least hoping that we would hit the ground running, but we didn't. Seemed to be a struggle for a number of new players to make their mark and that hurt us.

Ashdown

Overall Im still very proud of what we have achieved so far. This has generally been a very good season to date. We have been stopped in our tracks by injuries to key players across the midfield and our strikers haven’t been up to expectation but there have been a lot of positives.
Still plenty to play for, it was only 2-1 at WBA and they hardly played us off the park.

CCFCSteve

Overall Im still very proud of what we have achieved so far. This has generally been a very good season to date. We have been stopped in our tracks by injuries to key players across the midfield and our strikers haven’t been up to expectation but there have been a lot of positives.
Still plenty to play for, it was only 2-1 at WBA and they hardly played us off the park.

The meltdown since has been crazy even by SBT standards. They’re fifth in the league, great defence and we gave them a two goal head start, yet we arguably still probably deserved to nick a draw, based on efforts at least. Frustrating but hopefully lessons learned.

People commenting on recruitment, loans etc like they know all the discussions that took place and/or attempts made is winding me up. None of us know anything for sure other than we bought Torp and Mason Clark (who we had to loan back due to Peterborough’s insistence) and let Fadz go probably due to him wanting to play regularly. Anything else is just rumour or bollocks

shmmeee

Absolute madness. Losing £35m+ of talent and an FA Cup QF and you still expect a better league position.

This season was about rebuilding a squad. It was never going to be done in one summer. If you’re expecting playoffs or bust that’s on you. Mental assumption when we only just scraped them with an established squad last season.

Users who are viewing this thread