Just suppose a minute .. (1 Viewer)

Otis

That there is a rich tycoon out there who is willing to buy us and to invest in playing staff too, but that there is a caveat to the deal.

The stipulation being that the new owner wants a re-branding.

I know we have had a conversation before on here about re-branding and it appeared that nearly everyone was against it. I, myself, thought it might be something we should consider with the CCFC we are now only bhttp://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/editpost.php?p=398764&do=editposteing associated with failure and the Sky Blue kit now looking all a bit wishy washy etc.

Anyway, just wondered whether people would be prepared to bite the bullet if a very rich potential new owner said he would buy the club but insisted upon a degree of re-branding, a la Cardiff.

torchomatic

I would rather not but anything's better than SISU, isn't it? Even a change of colour, nickname, badge, etc.

ajsccfc

I'd still be dead against it, but as a powerless and easily-led white male 18-35 I'd end up still going to games and buying the kit, just with a grumble along the way.

wingy

That there is a rich tycoon out there who is willing to buy us and to invest in playing staff too, but that there is a caveat to the deal.

I know we have had a conversation before on here about re-branding and it appeared that nearly everyone was against it. I, myself, thought it might be something we should consider with the CCFC we are now only bhttp://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/editpost.php?p=398764&do=editposteing associated with failure and the Sky Blue kit now looking all a bit wishy washy etc.

Anyway, just wondered whether people would be prepared to bite the bullet if a very rich potential new owner said he would buy the club but insisted upon a degree of re-branding, a la Cardiff.

NO.......................I'd rather stick with SISU;)...................................Some interesting questions on potential scenarios this morning.:claping hands:

Otis

Not talking anything major. Maybe a kit change.

I know I suggested us going back to sky blue and dark blue stripes and even that didn't go down too well.

Okay, Torch, let me put it another way. Say Sisu stayed, they suddenly had an investor willing to go in partnership with them, so still same owners, but with new backers and they insisted upon re-branding.

Don't wish this thread to go down the Sisu/ACL route, so it doesn't matter who it is, just a new investment from wherever but with this stipulation in place.

Would you accept it?

rob9872

Yellow, yellow, yellow

Otis

Just been thinking, Yanks do love their re-branding, so feasibly it could happen, if there is some rich loon out there wanting to buy us.

Monkeyface

Whilst its still a hypothetical question its very easy to say 'no way', which happens to be my position. But if the situation actually arose, and we were looking at major investment, it'd be hard to turn your nose up wouldn't it?

AFCCOVENTRY

Sky Blue colour represents success and wealth more recently with Man City so I don't think we have an issue.

Although we would become CCSC

Coventry city soccer club

coundonskyblue

If the kit still had some sky blue on it, and we were still the sky blues, then it would be acceptable.

Anything further, I.e. A change to yellow, and I would be very much against it.

grego_gee

Just been thinking, Yanks do love their re-branding, so feasibly it could happen, if there is some rich loon out there wanting to buy us.

He won't want us playing in cut off oil barrels with braces, will he?

:pimp:

rob9872

Coventry Jaguars or phoenix they can even call us the pink ladies for all I care, still my team and we would soon get used to it in the next generation a bit like many if our younger fans never experienced highfield road.

Otis

Whilst its still a hypothetical question its very easy to say 'no way', which happens to be my position. But if the situation actually arose, and we were looking at major investment, it'd be hard to turn your nose up wouldn't it?

Exactly!

We need a change of thinking anyway. CCFC = failure.

That has been the equation now for nearly 30 years.

I wonder what happened back in 61 when Jimmy Hill ripped it all up and re-branded us? Anyone old enough to remember if there was outrage? From The Bantams to the Sky Blues. From 1924-1962 in white or in blue and white to then suddenly change to sky blue!

hill83

I don't care if they made the kit into a ballet outfit and changed our name to "Set of Muppets FC", I just want to see success.

Flying Fokker

I was open to rebranding. I also thought about this a few days ago in the context of being prepared to accept anything a new owner wants to do with the club. Just shyed away from posting because it was the time of the infamous poll! What will the people who want the status quo say?

Kit change to Brazillan yellow with flashes of Sky Blue on the shorts.

They can change the colour to anything they want. It would be interesting to hear what the senior fans think about the time when we last rebranded in the 60's. The passage of time makes us all more conservative in outlook. I think tradition is important as well. The one thing I would not change is the club crest.

Get rid of Sky Blue Sam? Maybe? There's a thought!

This post was written during Otis reply a couple of posts up. Similar views it seems.

Last edited:

theferret

What would it achieve other than to get off on the wrong foot with a significant proportion of supporters who would kick up a fuss? Look what happened the last time we tried to change the club crest. That last thing we need at this point is MORE conflict.

A pointless exercise. Concentrate on putting the club on the straight and narrow rather all that Onye Igwe 'the elephant is too fat' nonsense.

Tank Top

It maybe be just a coincidence!!!
But consider the results whilst playing in yellow and Blue, could it be the "SKY BLUES" have run their race, and a change of image is required, Stay as we are, in sky Blue, or progress in a re jigged format, no guarantees of cause, but I'd consider it worth a punt.

torchomatic

I certainly wouldn't be for it, but as fans we would be powerless. What a choice though, eh? No money, stay Sky Blue or with investment change to red and white stripes or whatever. I would say no, but although my original post was tongue-in-cheek many would be willing because it either wasn't SISU or it would dilute SISUs influence.

The Sky Blue Trust would have to change their name too, not to mention all the user names on here. I can just imagine Red And White Striped Kid. ;)

Really, we have no choice.

Not talking anything major. Maybe a kit change.

I know I suggested us going back to sky blue and dark blue stripes and even that didn't go down too well.

Okay, Torch, let me put it another way. Say Sisu stayed, they suddenly had an investor willing to go in partnership with them, so still same owners, but with new backers and they insisted upon re-branding.

Don't wish this thread to go down the Sisu/ACL route, so it doesn't matter who it is, just a new investment from wherever but with this stipulation in place.

Would you accept it?

theferret

Have I just woken up in a weird sci-fi movie where the whole of humanity has lost the ability to think rationally?

What the feck has the fact we play in Sky Blue got to do with the lack of success? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see Lazio, Argentina or Manchester City rushing to ditch their traditional colours. Yes, I am aware that we have not always been known as 'The Sky Blues' but we are now, and it is ingrained into our psyche, so why not concentrate on the important stuff?

luwalla

cant see it.. why would a new owner come in & want to upset the fans right away.. wouldnt be a good introduction.. and as others have said, it aint done man city any harm!

ccfctommy

I would stop supporting City if that happens. Sickening what has happened to Cardiff.

covmark

Have I just woken up in a weird sci-fi movie where the whole of humanity has lost the ability to think rationally?

What the feck has the fact we play in Sky Blue got to do with the lack of success? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see Lazio, Argentina or Manchester City rushing to ditch their traditional colours. Yes, I am aware that we have not always been known as 'The Sky Blues' but we are now, and it is ingrained into our psyche, so why not concentrate on the important stuff?

Agree with this, to suggest the reason we are shite is because of the colour of our kit is ridiculous

sky_blue_up_north

I was brought up in the Jimmy Hill era,and always remember us been the Sky Blues. However, Personally I don't see a problem. Lets be honest the cup winning side was not really playing in Sky Blue. The Dublin/Huckerby era, again not really Sky Blue kit. Anything that can give us a cash injection, remove this constant battle against ACL/Council/SISU. I want to concentrate on the football, get a winning side on the pitch give us something to shout about. Changing colours does not seem to have done Cardiff any harm.

coundonskyblue

Of the last 130 years, just 9 of those years saw CCFC with no blue at all in their kit.

Also 73 of that 130 years has saw us playing in Sky Blue. To suggest that it was an invented colour by Jimmy Hill is ridiculous.

ccfctommy

Really? Must be terrible being top of the championship and looking nailed on to get promoted. I pity them.

Yes they will get promoted but at what cost? They have sold their soul and have lost their identity. They have alienated some of their support base aswell

SkyBlue_Bear83

Rebranding just for the sake of it I would against, if rebranding was a clincher to a deal with some new filthy rich owner I could take it.

hill83

Yes they will get promoted but at what cost? They have sold their soul and have lost their identity. They have alienated some of their support base aswell

In all honestly, there is no real cost that I can see. And their attendances are about the same as they have been for the last few years.

Changing the colour of the kit is no reason to stay away in my opinion.

ccfctommy

Thank God this is all hypothetical and not reality btw. If we change our colours what would our nickname be? Perhaps we can build this stadium in deepest darkest Warwickshire and call ourselves the Warwickshire Wildcats!

It's football not American Football. :)

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Look Coventry have been massively under achieving for about 40 years. A big factor in that is lack of winning metality from club, players and FANS too.

A little Re-branding might help if it provides a fresh start. My user id is "play in skyblue stripes" so obvious what I want us to play in!

Maybe we could change to a different home kit colour but keep away kit as sky blue/white stripes or sky blue/navy blue stripes.

Since we have changed out home kit EVERY year since 1994/95 with subtle changes, why NOT change the colour scheme ENTIRELY every year until we get some success!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread