Lee Fowler back in league 1 / old champ man players (1 Viewer)

gregscho

Good to see ex cov player Lee Fowler back in the football league at Crawley. He's been around several clubs but it's the 3rd time Dean Saunders has signed him, if Saunders didn't leave Doncaster for Wolves 2 seasons ago then Fowler would have been playing Championship football last season. Always remember my Championship manager 00/01 team playing all the youngsters/fringe players with Fowler, Pipe, Pead, Delorge, Shilton - good memories!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31066040

torchomatic

When I played years ago on my Amiga my favourite players were Scott Stamps - I think he was from Torquay and Martinez, Seba and Diaz and from Wigan. Always used to win the League with them.

The Lurker

Good to see ex cov player Lee Fowler back in the football league at Crawley. He's been around several clubs but it's the 3rd time Dean Saunders has signed him, if Saunders didn't leave Doncaster for Wolves 2 seasons ago then Fowler would have been playing Championship football last season. Always remember my Championship manager 00/01 team playing all the youngsters/fringe players with Fowler, Pipe, Pead, Delorge, Shilton - good memories!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31066040

Lee was one of my best friends when he was at cov. Bit of wild kid but calmed down over the years. I still keep in touch with him via twitter and went the nuneaton game other month with him Im happy for lee

gregscho

Lee was one of my best friends when he was at cov. Bit of wild kid but calmed down over the years. I still keep in touch with him via twitter and went the nuneaton game other month with him Im happy for lee

Nice one mate, I've always followed his career and good to see he's doing well. Was gutted for him when Saunders left Doncaster 2 days after he signed Lee! Hope he helps Crawley say in League 1 and then signs for them

The Lurker

Nice one mate, I've always followed his career and good to see he's doing well. Was gutted for him when Saunders left Doncaster 2 days after he signed Lee! Hope he helps Crawley say in League 1 and then signs for them

Yeah he took the rough with the smooth. Went to the lower leagues and re-found his love for the game. Chuffed for him m8

Joy Division

I remember watching a few youth team games when Lee Fowler was with us and he always looked the best player on the pitch, if maybe a bit small I always thought he looked like a class footballer.

covcity4life

i won the champions league with liverpool last night

might fire up a new game with our latest loanees and see how it goes.

Nonleagueherewecome

I had a good side around the 2003 version. Osbourne was an AMC with awesome tackling. Rarely scored but was a great ballwinner. Giddings was the best of the City kids; got into the England side and was worth 18m when Bayern met his release clause and he spent the rest of his career there racking up 70-odd caps. Pead was at RWB with Carlisle's Lee Andrews another D/MRC as his back up, both 7m players. Fowler was decent as DMC and I've ended up signing him in multiple versions of the game over the years, especially when he dropped into Nonleague and was always one of the best bargains.

That side had Michael Duff now of Burnley as a stalwart at CB alongside an Italian called Espossito or something when I couldn't get away with Davenport and Mo. Defoe and Dean Ashton the other strikers alongside Sheff-Ashton was always a bargain from Crewe. Had a veteran Gazza for the first season (bargain buy from Everton) but by the end of the year he'd pissed off most of the rest of the squad with his drinking binges that I'd kept turning a blind eye to!

Can't remember who was in goal now...some old Italian I think? Promotion side was something like this:

----------Sheff--Ashton/Defoe------
--------Safri--Gazza---Osbourne-----
---------------Fowler---------------
Giddings---------------------Pead/Andrews
-Espossito?/Davenport--Konjic/Duff--
-------------GK--------------

I go back a lot further than that, though: last week I posted my CM93/94 City team that I recently played on DOS BOX : Oggy was a veteran but a rock, Rennie/Morgan/Busst as the CB options the weak link-it was often worth getting Peake back from Luton for 50k just to give you some quality! Babb and Atherton were both annoyingly full-backs/wingers in what was to prove their last season with us as our actual CB partnership! My formation had no FB's or wide men so I had to play them at DMC or in the Support (hole) roles. Wasn't so bad when Babb came out with Pace 20 as he sometimes did. The CM options of Hurst, Robson, McGrath with Flynn and Boland as backup was a strong area, especially in the tackling department. The front three was Ndlovu, Quinn and Wegerle: Quinn was Selfish and couldn't hit a barn door, despite having Goalscoring, a hidden skill; Wegerle and Nuddy were both really inconsistent but incredibly skillful. Williams was an AMC with Pace 20 and did a great job in CM or up front. Tony Sheridan does the same job as Willo's backup.

My rule with them now is that I'm only allowed to sign players who we signed IRL. In the latest save it's of course Nii Lamptey, the best young player in the game (by cheating by buying him with a club he will move to, then to me) and Julian Joachim, Don Hutchinson is another amazing option.

Who is a star on the early versions was a matter of their Personality, but if anything bar Withdrawn, Rash or Selfish, this lot were all legends:

Jason Kaminsky-a tragic case:http://www.redcafe.net/threads/tragedy-of-young-player-who-fell-victim-to-the-bottle.90329/
Jim Gannon ("Gannon The Cannon" when we were kids :) )
Darren Eadie (goal machine in early versions, amazing midfielder in slightly later ones)
Dominic Iorfa (African from Peterboro-never did anything IRL)
Ian Hendon and Danny Carter (two youngster at Leyton Orient that were Premier League potential)
Farah Orosco and Mark Collis (in the Amiga end of season 94 version only, the one with Klinnsman and all the WC stars. They were researchers who added themselves at Cambridge and made themselves amazing).
Marc Hottiger (best RB in the world in that version: it went nuts with anyone who had done well at the 94 WC!).
Cantona (90 goals a season in CM Italia.)
Adebola (ace signing from Crewe as a kid for lower league sides).
Ceri Hughes, Scott Houghton, John Dreyer (Luton were really lowly at the time but with some top flight talent).
Tommy Johnson (at Derby. Always used to sign him for City when I was a kid. They got his potential wrong all right! He was world class after 2 seasons).

Later versions, generally signings for City:

Viktor Leonenko (amazing Ukranian goalscorer whose thunder IRL was stolen by Rebrov and Shevchenko).
Peter Smith (IRL Brighton RB who ended up at Canvey Island: in FM, a D/MR/C played behind the strikers. Flair 20, Passing generally 1-4. Once broke his leg playing for me in the WC final on his birthday: the game wouldn't let me sub him, he proceeded to dribble past 2 players and then smack the ball into the top corner from 20 yards to win us the cup. This really happened! So cool).
Neil Lennon (lethal goalscoring AMC when at Crewe)
Danny Murphy (Lennon's successor in the DB in the above role!)
James Cardona (mental Colombian goalscoring RB.)
Christian Castaneda (goalscoring Chilean sweeper in the DB during the Sammer Era: sweepers would usually be your top GSC back then).
Jesus Arellano (sp?) (Mexican D/M/F R).
Fredy Guiran (Colombian CM. Long Shots 20. Say no more!)
Lional Morgan (flying Wimbledon AML, often a star for City for me: career ended by injury IRL, was a great prospect.)

And literally 100's more that I can't remember! I stopped playing it about 3-4 years ago, it was soaking up too much of my time.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

I remembered another great coach to go with Steve Round, David Hockaday and John Carver: Dick Bate :)

kg82

Do I remember him scoring against Cardiff round 01/02 or 02/03 at Highfield Road?

Greggs

Kim Kallstrom was a standard signing in the late 90's early 2000's! A lad called John Fleck was like gold dust too!

scroobiustom

DAVID COLLINS - was a fake player (10k) scored in every game!

I think Taribo West was on a free then as well....he was 30 going on 65 though

rondog1973

When I played years ago on my Amiga my favourite players were Scott Stamps - I think he was from Torquay and Martinez, Seba and Diaz and from Wigan. Always used to win the League with them.
Possibly sound like an old codger, but my favourite ever football game, even today, is Kick off 2 for the Amiga. Fantastic graphics, real player profiles and supposed realism of PC games presently are no match for the superb breakneck gameplay, skill required and sheer addictiveness of KO2!

Nonleagueherewecome

Possibly sound like an old codger, but my favourite ever football game, even today, is Kick off 2 for the Amiga. Fantastic graphics, real player profiles and supposed realism of PC games presently are no match for the superb breakneck gameplay, skill required and sheer addictiveness of KO2!

I think I had it on my 8-bit Atari! It was great, but Sensible World Of Soccer proceeded to blow it out of the water when it came to the Amiga. That game was indredible. I used to love playing in the Israeli league and getting into Europe. Noel Whelan was always a key signing for them, about 950k and scored goals for fun in that league. Also a Ghanaian MC called Oddi. The genius of that game was that you could tell each player exactly where on the pitch they should be depending on where the ball was-similar to a system actually used by legendary Ukranian manager Lobanovsky in the '70's. It gave you tactical flexibility that FM only bettered around 2003. Also, the variety of leagues on offer is still better than FIFA today!

As far as early managerial games, Football Director 2 on the Spectrum was good in the '80's.

covmark

I think I had it on my 8-bit Atari! It was great, but Sensible World Of Soccer proceeded to blow it out of the water when it came to the Amiga. That game was indredible. I used to love playing in the Israeli league and getting into Europe. Noel Whelan was always a key signing for them, about 950k and scored goals for fun in that league. Also a Ghanaian MC called Oddi. The genius of that game was that you could tell each player exactly where on the pitch they should be depending on where the ball was-similar to a system actually used by legendary Ukranian manager Lobanovsky in the '70's. It gave you tactical flexibility that FM only bettered around 2003. Also, the variety of leagues on offer is still better than FIFA today!

As far as early managerial games, Football Director 2 on the Spectrum was good in the '80's.

I'm with you with regard to sensible soccer, was and remains the best game ever made. I used to play as Fram Reykavik of Iceland getting into Europe etc. Signing Sergei Yuran and Dean Sturridge used to score about 50 goals each a season. Simple but brilliant game.

torchomatic

Sensible Soccer was always my favourite.

Nonleagueherewecome

DAVID COLLINS - was a fake player (10k) scored in every game!

I think Taribo West was on a free then as well....he was 30 going on 65 though

I think Collins was real-wasn't he a Margate striker? They had a lot of good players in one version. I had him for my Chelmsford side, he was decent.

Nonleagueherewecome

Sergei Yuran, wow...he was a legend in CM at one point too, Turkish AMRC.

Marc Emmers and Assanovic before he went to Derby are 2 more.

Nonleagueherewecome

Sorry, I'm thinking of Yalcin as the great Turk-Yuran was Russian wasn't he?

covcity4life

non management wise my favourite football game would have either pes 2,3,5 or 6 - just magnificent and still put fifa to shame to this day.

JulianDarbyFTW

non management wise my favourite football game would have either pes 2,3,5 or 6 - just magnificent and still put fifa to shame to this day.

PES 5 was great. I'd say that PES is the better game but FIFA is the better experience.

Champ Man-wise, on 93-94 I always signed Chris Jackson from Barnsley for 6k - he'd score 40+ a season regardless of the division, and I'd also splash out on Trevor Putney from Orient who was tremendous. I think it was the 00-01 version that I'd buy Scott Huckerby from Telford in the Vauxhall Conference and he'd get over 100 goals a season - he was way too overpowered, but it sure was good fun!

covmark

Oh definitely. Loved sensible soccer. My mate and me were actually talking about this the other day and I said it was my favourite game ever!
You can still get it as well, all with updated players. It's on the web somewhere.

Nonleagueherewecome

PES 5 was great. I'd say that PES is the better game but FIFA is the better experience.

Champ Man-wise, on 93-94 I always signed Chris Jackson from Barnsley for 6k - he'd score 40+ a season regardless of the division, and I'd also splash out on Trevor Putney from Orient who was tremendous. I think it was the 00-01 version that I'd buy Scott Huckerby from Telford in the Vauxhall Conference and he'd get over 100 goals a season - he was way too overpowered, but it sure was good fun!

Ah, I've just started a 93/94EOS Leyton Orient save as it's one I had as a kid on the Amiga. I was actually going to get rid of Putney as he's about 30. He's decent, but with Glenn Cockerill and Ian Bogie already in those positions and targets to come in, I don't really need him. Andy Roberts (later Palace and Wimbledon) has come through with Flair and Creativity 20, so I have to snap up this Gazza-clone (IRL he was a hardworking defensive midfielder)! With a very young Steve Lomas coming in on the cheap from Man C, there's no room for Putney.

I remember signing Jackson in some version, had forgotten about him, I will have to look him up in 93/94EOS. I've had Huckerby in around 02/03. He was good, but not as good as you had him-he was an AM/F RL in the version I had him. Plenty of Flair but not a real goalscorer. Now Leroy Lita when he was at Bristol City, there was a lower-league goal machine!

Users who are viewing this thread