Lee Hughes Won't Play Against City - Poll (1 Viewer)

skybluebeduff

Poll Results
Just over half of those who responded to a poll on this site feel that Lee Hughes will not play against Coventry City on Saturday October 20th for Notts County.
42% felt that Hughes, still seen as a public enemy in the city of Coventry by some, will be 'injured' for the game on Saturday week with 13% feeling that he will be 'dropped'.

30% felt that Hughes would play some of the game with 15% feeling he would play some of the match which kicks off at 3pm at the Ricoh Arena on October 20th.
Thanks to everyone who voted.
It is understood that the club's Safety Officer is monitoring the situation.

Taken from Cov-Mad, don't know how to make a poll on here but what are peoples thoughts?

1.) Don't care?
2.) Will Ignore him?
3.) Will boo him?
4.) Won't attend the game?

Personally for me it would be 1.) don't care, I'm going to watch the game not him.

smileycov

Facebook User
He wasn't playing for us at the time....why give him any attention at all! Just another piece of shit human that thinks they are above the law

Bertola

"30% felt that Hughes would play some of the game with 15% feeling he would play some of the match "

So which is it? 30% or 15%

kg82

I'm going to get absolutely nailed for this but here goes: Lee Hughes made an awful, awful mistake and error in judgement. He took a human life. But I wouldn't say he thinks he's above the law. He did, eventually, hand himself in. I'm in no way condoning what he did. It was a monumental mistake. But I'm sure he knows that. In fact, I bet he thinks about it and regrets it each day. I remember a story years before he joined us when he was at kiddy harriers. He saved a little girls life. I can't remember it properly but I think she was drowning? That stayed with me for some reason because at the time I thought, a footballer with some humanity. And then the shit hit the fan. With most fans he'll forever be defined by that moment though. As for playing against us, 1) don't care. He's just another player.

skybluebeduff

"30% felt that Hughes would play some of the game with 15% feeling he would play some of the match "

So which is it? 30% or 15%

That's why I wanted to see a poll on here, cov mad are inept, but for most it doesn't really matter because no-one really gives a toss, but out of all footballers who have managed to "crawl back into football" he's one of the worst imo.

skybluebeduff

I'm going to get absolutely nailed for this but here goes: Lee Hughes made an awful, awful mistake and error in judgement. He took a human life. But I wouldn't say he thinks he's above the law. He did, eventually, hand himself in. I'm in no way condoning what he did. It was a monumental mistake. But I'm sure he knows that. In fact, I bet he thinks about it and regrets it each day. I remember a story years before he joined us when he was at kiddy harriers. He saved a little girls life. I can't remember it properly but I think she was drowning? That stayed with me for some reason because at the time I thought, a footballer with some humanity. And then the shit hit the fan. With most fans he'll forever be defined by that moment though. As for playing against us, 1) don't care. He's just another player.

Fully agree although it's not just one crime that he's committed... http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/topics/lee-hughes/

skyblueman

Whether he plays or not is immaterial IMO - his crimes will define him for the rest of his life - when football gives him up I hope he does something positive with his life - he cannot change the past - he has at least that opportunity to do something for the better

smileycov

Facebook User
His crime was in Coventry though, sure it affected a few families of the victim who are coventrians too.

Fair point!

KG82, it is the fact he ran away and hid for 3 days that i think is worse. My opinion is i care very little about him, he has tried to rehabilitate and does an awfull lot for charities now though.

skybluebeduff

Hopefully he doesn't play so the game won't be marred with abuse, just like Swindon on Saturday this game is very important for our season and our progression under Robins, win them both and we might actually get to sing a whole verse of "play up skyblues" finally ;)

kingharvest

Maybe if he made some sort of gesture prior to the game that would help? or would it make it worse - i'm not sure. Difficult situation.

Probably me easier if he was 'injured'.

Astute

He has already proved he is a coward. He won't want to play.

skybluegod

what about the sexual assault a few years after?

kg82

Refer to my 2nd comment!

I've just read up on this. Found not guilty of sexual assault. Charge downgraded to common assault and this what he did. His team were staying in a hotel, the fire alarm went off in the night. Playing around he picked a woman up, spun her around a few times and put her down! That's it, as far as I know.

Paxman II

He made a monumental mistake. I don't know about forgivness as I'm not particularly religious but is that not the idea?
He will pay all his lfe for that mistake as he can't ever wipe the memory of it. It will haunt him the rest of his lfe now.
But as a human being (if he is one in some people's eyes) he has to get on with life.

I expect he may not play in this fixture as a mark of respect if anything.

wingy

If he does play I don't want to see him doing that Bloody Stupid Morris Dance Jig of his when he's scored.:jerkit::(

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Will boo his every touch, simple as that!

skybluesteve76

We've had this debate before. Absolute scumbag! He left people for dead without calling the police or an ambulance, that is unforgivable. Who gives a fuck whether he eventually handed himself in, the facts are that if he'd of phoned for help then chances are no one would of died!

Sick Boy

Then again we haven't killed anyone!

I meant as a club. We faced a lot of criticism ourselves for employing King (who has never expressed sorrow or admitted any kind of remorse for his crimes.)

No doubt it is fine for some supporters to sing 'she said yes Marlon, she is a slag etc.

kg82

We've had this debate before. Absolute scumbag! He left people for dead without calling the police or an ambulance, that is unforgivable. Who gives a feck whether he eventually handed himself in, the facts are that if he'd of phoned for help then chances are no one would of died!

And yes, I acknowledge that! I didn't say what he did was all well and good! But me personally, I don't know him, I don't want to know him, I don't know how he deals with himself day to day. He made a massive error, an error that led to the loss of a human life. He has to live with that.

Astute

And yes, I acknowledge that! I didn't say what he did was all well and good! But me personally, I don't know him, I don't want to know him, I don't know how he deals with himself day to day. He made a massive error, an error that led to the loss of a human life. He has to live with that.

And the families affected by his actions have to put up with his grinning face on tv and in the papers when he scores. They have to live with that.

kg82

And the families affected by his actions have to put up with his grinning face on tv and in the papers when he scores. They have to live with that.

That's not my point. Of course they're going to be affected. And its up to them how they choose to deal with that, not me.

from what i heard at the time there was a reason he left them for dead. the bloke is a scumbag i will also boo every touch.

Astute

That's not my point. Of course they're going to be affected. And its up to them how they choose to deal with that, not me.

So only your point counts?

I would prefer to think of the victims myself, not the law breaker that snuffed someones life out and left someone else a cripple. Would you feel the same if it was your family?

kg82

So only your point counts?

I would prefer to think of the victims myself, not the law breaker that snuffed someones life out and left someone else a cripple. Would you feel the same if it was your family?

No, you're misconstruing what I'm saying. It's not my point that counts, its theirs. I don't like what he did, its beyond contempt. But did it affect me personally? To me he's the bloke that Coventry ruined, another player who I don't care about, feel nothing for and hence won't give any reaction if he plays against us.

Diehard Si

It's was my mates mates dad he killed. I didn't know him or his.

I think he's going to play, but I can't imagine him getting a good reception. God can you imagine if he scored and celebrated a bit too much.

dongonzalos

I think it may also be worth considering the timing of him handing himself in. Has anyone ever heard of the count back clock.

Moe-Lask

Isn't the Notts County match the day they have chose to be a "Family Day"? regardless what people think there will be alot on tension in the air. If he scores and celebrates i think it'll go over board! Personally i think for his and the crowds safety the Police and both clubs will arrange something that he wont play...

Users who are viewing this thread