Liam Kelly (1 Viewer)

blunted

Brilliant player for us and a really important cog in our rise through the leagues. Just a shame he is reached the veteran stage, as we could really do with a younger version now. At his peak, he would be in our team as captain.
Think he will still do a brilliant job for a lesser team.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Always seemed extremely professional in and out of the team. His positional sense / reading of the game has always been superb and sometimes overlooked by those only interested attacking stats.
Totally agree, you are making an excellent point. It's not all about direct goals and assists. By being in right place can limit goals conceded and allow others to venture forward or take riskier options.

Positional sense and reading of game is vital in a football team. Only the 'blind' don't see why that is so important.

Liam Kelly time was up in reality in Autumn of 2022 but provided some great performances at end on 2023. Helped out in early and later parts of this season. I'm sure he will get a job coaching somewhere.
Shame he didn't score at Blackburn, so close!!!

Offhegoes

Such a clever. astute player. Key to the L2 & L1 promotion seasons. Was also important in that 1st season in The Championship, and also last season’s run to the playoffs.
Injury prone for most of his career, otherwise he would of been a top-end Championship midfielder

pusbccfc

Shouldn't pay for a pint in Coventry or Warwickshire ever again

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Absolute legend.

Really hoped he had played more this season as that level of leadership is something I think we have really missed. Hope he gets a wonderful reception as he deserves it. Like others have said, a massive part of our rise back up the leagues. We'll also have that boner meme forever. Hero.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Said on other threads, an absolute class act and consummate professional - been left out numerous times earlier this season (and last) but he gets on with it and is always ready to be called upon. Huge part of our rise under Robins and one of his best signings.

Feels a bit like an end of an era with McFadzean gone and Godden likely off as well. The next club captain has huge shoes to fill!

Esoterica

My favourite player since relegation from the Prem.

Carried Doyle for 18 months while Doyle got all the plaudits. Integral to our promotions from League 2 and 1 as well as our consolidation in League 1 and the first season back in the Championship.

His reading of the game is excellent, as is his anticipation, understanding of space and movement. Could see him making the step into coaching as his game has all fundamentals.

Last edited:

mmttww

Need someone in the squad with that same kind of mentality. It was Doyle, then it was Kelly. Look back at Kelly's demeanour in those huge games before and during the playoffs.

Proper Roy Keane "I don't need to f*cking say anything, just follow me..." vibes. Quiet, scary bastard. Do we think there's anyone in the squad that can grow in to that role? I'm not sure.

rob9872

Got a pair of his signed boots. Guess they'll be worth sod all after tomorrow 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread