Liam Kelly = (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

We float corners into the box so the players can’t get the power to beat the keeper or the keeper catches it, lots of other teams drill them in at pace so the player has something to work with. Our wingers never get to the goal line and cross it or pull it back. We are even shit at throw ins

Nick

Administrator
Baffles me how people are paid to play football can't take corners properly without floating them out for a throw-in.

Get a sack of footballs, get somebody on the other side and just whip corners across and practise.

steve82

I raised this issue very early in the season. We had no one who can deliver a good set piece.. I.e free kicks and corners. We still don't, it's a big aspect of goals in this league.

Kelly and JJ were responsible early on and then it went more towards JJ. Things were really bad then. Shipley scored a nice free kick at Luton and had a few half chances since tho now JCH looks useful at them.

We've so many failed corner takers it's embarrassing. It's little wonder our returns from corners are limited.

2 or 3 is it? I can recall Grimmers in the league at Grimsby, Willis in the fa cup v Stoke.. anymore?

Adge

Baffles me how people are paid to play football can't take corners properly without floating them out for a throw-in.

Get a sack of footballs, get somebody on the other side and just whip corners across and practise.
And these are the players “we have to try and support”.

Otis

I thought pretty much every dead ball Accrington fired in were excellent on Saturday. Very impressive.

wingy

Back to the OP ,looks like we're reliant on him for four or five games now to do his stuff ,from the managers appraisal on Doyle.

Otis

Back to the OP ,looks like we're reliant on him for four or five games now to do his stuff ,from the managers appraisal on Doyle.
Kelly was very good at the start of the season. Maybe he just isn't quite 100% yet.

Esoterica

I think the criticism of Kelly is ridiculous. Clearly rushed back into the team and has completed 2 x90 mins in 8 days when a team not in crisis would gave given him a couple of 30 mins to ease himself back in. He's getting it in the neck because he's Doyle's replacement but Willis was captain on Saturday and did nothing deserving of it.

Otis

I think the criticism of Kelly is ridiculous. Clearly rushed back into the team and has completed 2 x90 mins in 8 days when a team not in crisis would gave given him a couple of 30 mins to ease himself back in. He's getting it in the neck because he's Doyle's replacement but Willis was captain on Saturday and did nothing deserving of it.
After 2 or 3 outstanding games, Willis went back to some of his bad old ways again.

stevefloyd

We float corners into the box so the players can’t get the power to beat the keeper or the keeper catches it, lots of other teams drill them in at pace so the player has something to work with. Our wingers never get to the goal line and cross it or pull it back. We are even shit at throw ins
We are absolutely shocking at throw ins and just for good measure shockingly bad at winning 2nd balls too

Esoterica

Maybe Kelly was good because of Doyle because our star youngster looked dreadful on Saturday without him
Because Bayliss was one of the people suffering with the virus! Kelly was clearly not fully match sharp, had an anonymous JMD on his right side and a sick Bayliss in front of him. Vs FGR Bayliss was out right, it was Kelly's first game back for 11 weeks and Doyle was carry an injury. It's really crazy that people are pinning bad team performances on him individually, yes he went long too often 2nd half on Saturday but that was probably tiredness and desperation.

steve82

Wasn't a comment on his playing performance at all. Just that Willis is invisible as captain.

At last someone else notices it too!

Jordan Willis isn't strong enough as a person to be captain. It weighs to heavy on him and affects his own game. The arm band cut his circulation and he's erratic.

He's better when he's just his own game to worry about.

Esoterica

At last someone else notices it too!

Jordan Willis isn't strong enough as a person to be captain. It weighs to heavy on him and affects his own game. The arm band cut his circulation and he's erratic.

He's better when he's just his own game to worry about.
Well I think it's a unfair assumption to say he's not strong enough as a person or that it weighs too heavy on him, for me he just doesn't display the characteristics of a captain on the pitch.

steve82

Well I think it's a unfair assumption to say he's not strong enough as a person or that it weighs too heavy on him, for me he just doesn't display the characteristics of a captain on the pitch.

Shall we settle for not captain material?
I was disappointed with him all last season as a captain.

For me he's the 1st head to drop when I look around the pitch after we concede when the inquest starts.
Stokes is always making positive gestures to motive, Rod less so recently.

Liam Kelly was on the pitch and captains armband or no captains armband he tried to rally the troops but was clear things were flat from the response.

Last edited:

Adge

Shall we settle for not captain material?
I was disappointed with him all last season as a captain.

For me he's the 1st head to drop when I look around the pitch after we concede when the inquest starts.
Stokes is always making positive gestures to motive, Rod less so recently.

Liam Kelly was on the pitch and captains armband or no captains armband he tried to rally the troops but was clear things were flat from the response.
And this is what I keep saying about Willis/Haynes et al. Mentally week.

Captain Dart

I think real reason for playing Kelly 2 games in a row was because Doyle has a niggle and may have to sit out a number of games,
Kelly is the only alternative the club has to step into his position while he is out.
Even though the results have been s**t you can't really blame Robins for that decision.

SlowerThanPlatt

Oh-seems someone is starting to take notice? Hmmm:emoji_thinking:

Robins said mentally weak, not mentally week. Also, Haynes didn’t play last night and Willis wasn’t at fault for any of the goals so more than likely he was referring to others. Apart from that, spot on

Adge

Robins said mentally weak, not mentally week. Also, Haynes didn’t play last night and Willis wasn’t at fault for any of the goals so more than likely he was referring to others. Apart from that, spot on
Not just talking about them squire-Liam Kelly for example-another with losing ingrained in him. That as we know becomes a habit and a tricky one to shake off.

SlowerThanPlatt

Not just talking about them squire-Liam Kelly for example-another with losing ingrained in him. That as we know becomes a habit and a tricky one to shake off.

Can you answer my question?

If we get promoted this season are our players now ‘winners’?

Users who are viewing this thread