Liam Walsh (1 Viewer)

SBAndy

I loved Walsh, and really wanted him to sign in the summer, but with missing the season injured and not playing a game and us being in a higher division, surely its time to move on?

Keep seeing re: signings for next season, Walsh is continually mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Think it’s as much that he’s a free agent as anything. He’s a quality player and if there were no transfer fee involved then I think we’d be silly not to be interested. Time is on his side, after all.

Frostie

I loved Walsh, and really wanted him to sign in the summer, but with missing the season injured and not playing a game and us being in a higher division, surely its time to move on?

Keep seeing re: signings for next season, Walsh is continually mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Walsh is making his long awaited comeback in their U23s game this afternoon...

Crank up that rumour mill again!! 😁

PVA

An unnamed club made a bid for Walsh in January.

You'd have to guess it was us, but who knows.

Good to see him returning to action today.

no_loyalty

He might not be part of Nigel Pearson’s plans (hopefully).

Magwitch1

Could play today, the timing couldn’t be better eleven games to prove his fitness, & can hack it in the championship ( I have no doubts about that) and if it’s thumbs up move in and give him an offer he won’t refuse.

covboy1987

@Ccfcisparks made up a story a bid had came in for him...fuck knows how he would of passed a medical 🤣

cash in on Hamer in the summer and take Walsh on a free would be unbelievable business (if we stay up)
Why would we not want to keep hamer and also offer walsh a deal - we are a big city club with a potential large fan base - we will never get to the premiership if we dont start investing in top players

Sky Blue Harry H

Could play today, the timing couldn’t be better eleven games to prove his fitness, & can hack it in the championship ( I have no doubts about that) and if it’s thumbs up move in and give him an offer he won’t refuse.

Biggest problem is that if Bristol want to keep him, they'll be able to offer more than we can. On the plus side, most of the lads he knows and has happy memories of are still with us. I'd prefer Walsh over James if only because of the age factor, although James has done it at a much higher level, so won't be disappointed if we get him (as long as he stays fit). Interesting too to see if Josh Eccles can step up, as we know Kelly cannot keep going forever/is prone to the odd setback.

Sky Blue Harry H

Why would we not want to keep hamer and also offer walsh a deal - we are a big city club with a potential large fan base - we will never get to the premiership if we dont start investing in top players

We will never stay in The Championship if we sell our better players early on in the process of re-establishing ourselves. We need to improve year on year and hope that the stars align one season for a proper assault on promotion.

Sick Boy

Why would he leave Bristol City to join us?

Sky Blue Harry H

We have a better ground,he got on well with robins wanting to stay after his loan money is the one can we match or better Bristol who pay him around 12k a week apparently...I would like to think we are a bigger club than Bristol city ffs 🤣

I'd be surprised if Walsh was currently on that much, to be honest. I'd also have thought that if he was going to leave bristol he would probably choose us (provided we were up to matching other offers). Given a year out, I wouldn't want us trying to break the bank getting him (although if we were to lose the likes of Hamer, then I'd be hoping we could get him as a replacement)

Magwitch1

Biggest problem is that if Bristol want to keep him, they'll be able to offer more than we can. On the plus side, most of the lads he knows and has happy memories of are still with us. I'd prefer Walsh over James if only because of the age factor, although James has done it at a much higher level, so won't be disappointed if we get him (as long as he stays fit). Interesting too to see if Josh Eccles can step up, as we know Kelly cannot keep going forever/is prone to the odd setback.
We need James, his experience is massive and he’s a good player and versatile and still only 30 next birthday no age for a player nowadays. As for wages if we want to move to the next level we either compete wage wise or don’t bother.
Not sure what wages will level out at I think the day of £10/£20k+a week in the championship are over. There are clubs in our division in all sorts of financial mess re. wages, Bristol City being one.

Sky Blue Harry H

We need James, his experience is massive and he’s a good player and versatile and still only 30 next birthday no age for a player nowadays. As for wages if we want to move to the next level we either compete wage wise or don’t bother.
Not sure what wages will level out at I think the day of £10/£20k+a week in the championship are over. There are clubs in our division in all sorts of financial mess re. wages, Bristol City being one.
Agree - although I would be nervous of having Walsh, James and Kelly on the books at the same time in terms of recent injury history (not difficult to imagine 2 of the 3 out at any given stage). That said, the quality is not in doubt. Kelly is out of contract, so maybe a rolling one year option (is there such a thing?!) for him. James we would have to offer 2 years (at least), otherwise he will walk. Walsh - straight swap for Kastaneer.

Sick Boy

We have a better ground,he got on well with robins wanting to stay after his loan money is the one can we match or better Bristol who pay him around 12k a week apparently...I would like to think we are a bigger club than Bristol city ffs 🤣
To a whole generation we’re a lower league club.

Reactions: vow

Evo1883

I dunno mate, ashton gate is a proper football ground, I prefer it tbh... Yea we are bigger no doubt Aerial-view-of-ashton-gate.png

Evo1883

We’ve not been in the top flight for two decades and have spent a sizeable proportion of that in the bottom 2 divisions of the league.

Coventry have more fans, better history, bigger historical average attendances, more seasons in the top flight, spent time in Europe.... Don't let our last 15 year wobble cloud your judgement... We are bigger than Bristol City, as are pompey and Charlton .. In the same way Sunderland are much bigger than them

Wolves went to the old division 4 and had woeful attendances.. But they were still a bigger club than Coventry

Magwitch1

Things change, I remember Burnley being one of the top teams in the country and years later staying in the EFL with a last minute goal from their goalie if I remember correct and now an established Premiership team.

Regarding Cov. we are a club with potential on par with a Southampton, Leicester etc. We have always had a up and down home support but a good away following. Strange really.

Evo1883

Things change, I remember Burnley being one of the top teams in the country and years later staying in the EFL with a last minute goal from their goalie if I remember correct and now an established Premiership team.

Regarding Cov. we are a club with potential on par with a Southampton, Leicester etc. We have always had a up and down home support but a good away following. Strange really.

Things do change, but our change was abnormal and Completely against the grain..

Man utd haven't won a Premier league for a good few years, they're still the biggest club in Britain along with Liverpool who hadn't won a title for 30 years prior to last year

Johnnythespider

Having a more stable future at the Ricoh will stand us in good stead when trying to attract players of Walsh's ilk.

The Philosopher

Coventry is one of the biggest cities in the country (between 9th & 20th depending on how you measure).

Of the larger cities, pretty much all of them have more than one football club.

We also have a huge catchment area of dormitory towns where the nearest football league team is CCFC (Bedworth, Nuneaton, Leamington etc etc.)

Potentially, CCFC is huge. One of the biggest potential fan bases in the U.K.

However, for the last 30 years we’ve been mostly woeful and the football experience (the mostly empty Ricoh, no cool pubs nearby for pre and post match etc) boring.

We take a disproportionate amount of fans to away matches because the experience is better.

I think going back to the Ricoh has its positives and negatives; back in the City and a few big attendances, but I still think there is huge potential if we build something with Warwick Uni.

I’m not getting all misty eyed about HR but think the Ricoh is a bad long term plan.

At the moment people are suggesting that we “could be as big as Southampton”. I think that’s a huge undersell given our potential fan base.

With the right energy and vision CCFC has the potential to be one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Laugh all you want.

Users who are viewing this thread