Liverpool the new Southampton (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Good addition is Lovren, but the raid on Southampton, who finished 8th last season is a bit comical. None of these players are going to take them up another level, and since Suarez is gone, that level is a good bit below where they were at last season.

Last edited:

Covstu

I think its positive he is bringing in some good english players but i agree they have taken a small step back from the title by losing such a class player in Suarez. They are looking like a bit of a tottenham in that they sold their main man for big money and brought in alot of 'good' players. The positive is that they shouldnt have the gelling problem as alot of them already play with each other!

Marty

They've signed 3 decent players, but I can't see any of them improving what they currently have. Southampton are really going to struggle this year.

chiefdave

What's happening to Southampton makes me wonder what the point is in being a football supporter these days. Of course teams have always sold players, even the biggest teams, but Southampton have an owner who has said they will put more money in to get the club into the champions league but after one good season their team has been picked off.

How does any club get any success? Lets say things turn around and we get back into the premier league, how enjoyable will it be to just make up the numbers and develop players for the big teams?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember when Liverpool bought the "Star" player Andy Carroll! Whatever happened to him? :facepalm:

turlykerd

I remember when Liverpool bought the "Star" player Andy Carroll! Whatever happened to him? :facepalm:

who ??

oh, you mean Andy "Me leg's bad, man, can ye give us a sick note" carroll

i agree with covstu that they are doing a spurs .... but at least they are re-investing and getting in proven premiership players too
southampton are being screwed badly right now though.

wingy

They Both used to be full of Dockers,now there's a name from the past .

Why didn't Southampton just approach Rodgers ,same end result .

Marty

What's happening to Southampton makes me wonder what the point is in being a football supporter these days. Of course teams have always sold players, even the biggest teams, but Southampton have an owner who has said they will put more money in to get the club into the champions league but after one good season their team has been picked off.

How does any club get any success? Lets say things turn around and we get back into the premier league, how enjoyable will it be to just make up the numbers and develop players for the big teams?

People find my view odd, but I really don't want to see us back in the Premiership, whats the point? the regular fan is being priced out, you have the arseholes on SSN turning everything into a soap opera, all you do is like you said and make up the numbers, I would be more then happy with a team that was fighting it out at the top end of the championship, play offs, cup runs.

The development of players has got to come from everyone. At the moment it comes from the smaller clubs, and as always the best rise to the top. If the bigger clubs were willing to give their youth more of a chance then I doubt we'd see a situation like we have for Southampton. I can't remember the last time Chelsea, Man Utd or Liverpool produced a long term first team player, and they should be leading the way.

There's far too much money at the top and nothing at grass roots level, the council pitches and facilities are a disgrace, and they're not exactly cheap to play on. If you raise the quality at the bottom then surely it'll help to produce better players through out the pyramid.

Maybe a system needs to be in place where the Premiership clubs have to pay a certain amount of turnover, which pays for redevelopment of pitches, coaching, facilities, with a discount being given based on having a certain number of ex-youth players in your starting eleven.

Samo

People find my view odd, but I really don't want to see us back in the Premiership, whats the point? the regular fan is being priced out, you have the arseholes on SSN turning everything into a soap opera, all you do is like you said and make up the numbers, I would be more then happy with a team that was fighting it out at the top end of the championship, play offs, cup runs.

The development of players has got to come from everyone. At the moment it comes from the smaller clubs, and as always the best rise to the top. If the bigger clubs were willing to give their youth more of a chance then I doubt we'd see a situation like we have for Southampton. I can't remember the last time Chelsea, Man Utd or Liverpool produced a long term first team player, and they should be leading the way.

There's far too much money at the top and nothing at grass roots level, the council pitches and facilities are a disgrace, and they're not exactly cheap to play on. If you raise the quality at the bottom then surely it'll help to produce better players through out the pyramid.

Maybe a system needs to be in place where the Premiership clubs have to pay a certain amount of turnover, which pays for redevelopment of pitches, coaching, facilities, with a discount being given based on having a certain number of ex-youth players in your starting eleven.

So when we reach the championship play offs you'll be hoping we lose?

SlowerThanPlatt

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 8m
I am told Schneiderlin & Rodriguez are close to linking up with former #SaintsFC boss Pochettino at #THFC. It never rains but it pours.

And Callum Chambers confirmed to Arsenal.

Marty

So when we reach the championship play offs you'll be hoping we lose?

Obviously not. I'm just saying I want a club that has a bit of excitement to it, you don't get that making up the numbers in the prem.

SlowerThanPlatt

Via BBC: Five years ago, Liebherr family bought Southampton for ~£13m. Including player sales, revenues could top £200m in 14-15. Solid investment.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Via BBC: Five years ago, Liebherr family bought Southampton for ~£13m. Including player sales, revenues could top £200m in 14-15. Solid investment.

Crazy really isn't it!

Seen something earlier saying the players that have already been sold were brought for a total of £9m (couple of academy graduates), and have been sold for £100m+. Yes, good business from a financial point of view, but to compete in the Premiership you have to keep hold of your top players!
Something must be happening behind closed doors to make them all to want to jump ship

Covstu

They have raped and pillaged the club! As a saints fan it must have been so exciting to see that team perform and grow together then this season have it ripped to bits in a matter on a month or two. Always a selling club but fuck me i never seen it on that scale!!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Liverpool are changing their name to Scousehampton. :whistle:

turlykerd

They have raped and pillaged the club! As a saints fan it must have been so exciting to see that team perform and grow together then this season have it ripped to bits in a matter on a month or two. Always a selling club but fuck me i never seen it on that scale!!

there seems to be more and more of this shit going on.. i mean, to the point of brazen, in your face, obviously im gonna screw this team...Rangers,leeds, southampton, blackpool and us just to to name a few.

its happened in the past, but not on the level of blackpool only having a the groundsman and ticket office manager as there only 2 registered first team players, and southampton have issued many statements about not selling any players, not selling any more players and now, be patient , but how many have they sold from there 1st 11 of last year ? and there are pretty firm rumours that Rodriguez is off too

i know i have a very bias view (being a city fan)but fuck me shouldnt the FL FA FPA SFA be doing something about this now!!

SlowerThanPlatt

A lot of the Saintsweb users think the owners are prepping the club for sale. The debt is at a perfectly manageable level for running the club, but it's much easier to attract a good price from a buyer if it comes debt-free. So they're selling off all these players to pay off the debt in total.

Marty

Just had a quick look, debt figures seem to be around £60 mill, roughly 50/50 split between player purchases and a new training ground. They've sold around 120 million worth of players this summer, with possibly more going out. Their youth team is either amazing this year or the owners are looking to sell.

henry the wasp

Didn't Lallana and Lovren threaten to not play for saints again, if their moves didn't go through?
Sounds like the owners aren't the only ones raping the club.

Covstu

Didn't Lallana and Lovren threaten to not play for saints again, if their moves didn't go through?
Sounds like the owners aren't the only ones raping the club.
I agree too much player power. They have said that Rodriguez isn't going anywhere..... we heard that line a few times too!

Users who are viewing this thread