Living in a block of flats (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I used to live in a nice house but due to circumstances now live in a flat.It was okay at first but now it's like living in an asylum with drug dealing,parties,and dogs barking at all hours.You're lucky to get three hours kip on a good night it's that bad.Has anybody on here been through this themselves ?

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

In my old life I once lived in a shithole block of flats in London.....I was a security guard at the time & the block of flats were owned/subsidised by the dodgy security firm I worked for.....

...consequently, half the flats were let to security guards (generally a nasty bunch of weirdo's, nutters, psychos & perverts) & the other half were let via the council to Serbian & Bosnian refugees (It was 1994!!)

....Horrible atmosphere.....often violent, never quiet.....I was working night shifts too....

I stuck it for 6 months, saved up every spare penny & bought a one-way ticket to Greece & spent the next 6 months getting off my face partying & hitch-hiking around Europe....

chiefdave

I lived in a flat for a while down here. At first it was OK and fairly quiet. Then the council closed down all the nightclubs on the seafront as there was too much trouble and not unsurprisingly those people went elsewhere. Unfortunately that was near my flat so there'd be fights going on outside, wing mirrors would get smashed off on a weekly basis (to the point the police started leaving notes on the cars with a crime ref number to stop people even phoning them to report it!).

Worst of all we had a neighbour from hell move in. He was unemployed so slept all day and was up all night. Having music on full blast at 4am is bad enough but for some reason it was always Cotton Eye Joe on repeat! Pretty sure he was drug dealing as well given the number of people coming in and out.

We got onto the council and to be fair they were pretty good. Gave us a mobile number to call when he was making noise, phoned them up late one night and they came round, said they didn't really need to come in as they could hear it from where they'd parked down the street! Got on to his landlords and got him kicked out.

bringbackrattles

In my old life I once lived in a shithole block of flats in London.....I was a security guard at the time & the block of flats were owned/subsidised by the dodgy security firm I worked for.....

...consequently, half the flats were let to security guards (generally a nasty bunch of weirdo's, nutters, psychos & perverts) & the other half were let via the council to Serbian & Bosnian refugees (It was 1994!!)

....Horrible atmosphere.....often violent, never quiet.....I was working night shifts too....

I stuck it for 6 months, saved up every spare penny & bought a one-way ticket to Greece & spent the next 6 months getting off my face partying & hitch-hiking around Europe....
Sounds like this mad block I'm in ! Some weird people living here now they just look at you,no conversation,some nutter thinks it's good fun to set fire to the rubbish shute late at night,and another plays gangster rap full blast,and a dog does a great werewolf impression !

jimmyhillsfanclub

Certainly was a mad old place....One of the security blokes in my block used to take a crossbow to work everyday on the tube. Some of the security guards were ultra violent & the refugees basically imported their own little version of the Bosnian war to our neighbourhood......

...The only plus side I remember was that due to the flats being subsidised by the security firm, they had cleaners that would clean the common areas, landings etc. every week.....one of them was a sexy MILF who broadened my 23 year old horizons somewhat if you know what I mean !! :)

Otis

I've been really lucky. Never lived in a flat, always a house.

Sympathies for the tales heard on here ..... except for the cleaners bit of course.

bringbackrattles

Certainly was a mad old place....One of the security blokes in my block used to take a crossbow to work everyday on the tube. Some of the security guards were ultra violent & the refugees basically imported their own little version of the Bosnian war to our neighbourhood......

...The only plus side I remember was that due to the flats being subsidised by the security firm, they had cleaners that would clean the common areas, landings etc. every week.....one of them was a sexy MILF who broadened my 23 year old horizons somewhat if you know what I mean !! :)
The cleaners in this nut house are two blokes and a stocky butch woman ! On a more serious note the bloke who moved next to me is a lifer who did 21 years for murder,he is okay and chats but as he can't get a job he's dealing now.I've had knocks on my door at all hours getting the wrong flat for drugs,and my son who's living with me till he gets a new place of his own has to be up early as he's a roofer.
People don't know what it's like till they live like this. I can get out and about but there's a few elderly tenants who can't so they go through hell at times.

martcov

The cleaners in this nut house are two blokes and a stocky butch woman ! On a more serious note the bloke who moved next to me is a lifer who did 21 years for murder,he is okay and chats but as he can't get a job he's dealing now.I've had knocks on my door at all hours getting the wrong flat for drugs,and my son who's living with me till he gets a new place of his own has to be up early as he's a roofer.
People don't know what it's like till they live like this. I can get out and about but there's a few elderly tenants who can't so they go through hell at times.

and you follow city as well..... no end to the gloom. I live in a flat above my pub and the neighbours are complaining about the noise from the smokers outside - who laugh and talk until late at night. So I am the bad guy here and have to stop people laughing and talking after 22:00.... Not looking forward to it.

bringbackrattles

and you follow city as well..... no end to the gloom. I live in a flat above my pub and the neighbours are complaining about the noise from the smokers outside - who laugh and talk until late at night. So I am the bad guy here and have to stop people laughing and talking after 22:00.... Not looking forward to it.
i'd happily live above a pub as you know what to expect but you don't expect it to be so bad in a block of flats.

duffer

No one has to put up with this - but it's best to be aware that it can take a while to be resolved.

For the anti-social behaviour and loud music etc., there's the council. You may have to nag them a bit, but they'll come around and eventually the worst offenders will be sorted out.

For the drugs-dealing, there's always crimestoppers (anonymous reporting). I couldn't live with what you're putting up with - I hope you can sort it out.

aloisiwouldhavescored

Many moons ago I lived in a 20 storey tower block in Oxford (all we could afford). Not too bad when first moved in, decent caretakers looked after the place and everything. But when they retired and moved out and a single guy took over that's when the flats really went downhill. We had new neighbours above us, he went out drinking every night, then when he came in about 11pm he started knocking his missus about and there was so much screaming and shouting going on until he eventually fell over and went to sleep. Then new people moved in below us as well (we were on the 4th Floor) and he worked at the Cowley car plant on nights Monday to Thursday. Then Friday afternoons the music (if you can call it that!) started, boom!boom!boom! belting out non-stop till Monday morning, when he went to bed ready to start his night shift that night. Went downstairs endless times to ask him to turn it down, but when we eventually could make him hear, he opened the door and it was like something out of the Bronx. All the walls were painted dark purple and black and there was smoke everywhere and it was a full-scale rap party going on for hours and hours. Just slammed the door in my face, the caretaker didn't want to know, nor did anyone else. The lifts were hardly ever working and if they did, they smelt of god knows what, more hygienic to use the stairs. Unless you lived on the 20th floor, that is. Worst 4 years of my life, couldn't wait to get out, would never live in a flat again if I could possibly help it.

ajsccfc

I live in a flat but it's a three-storey building so it's not really a mini-metropolis. Once Upstairs Dickhead moved out and took what I can only assume to be tap shoes made of solid lead with him, the most annoyance I get is the occasional slammed door in the block or people parking a bit askew.

bringbackrattles

Many moons ago I lived in a 20 storey tower block in Oxford (all we could afford). Not too bad when first moved in, decent caretakers looked after the place and everything. But when they retired and moved out and a single guy took over that's when the flats really went downhill. We had new neighbours above us, he went out drinking every night, then when he came in about 11pm he started knocking his missus about and there was so much screaming and shouting going on until he eventually fell over and went to sleep. Then new people moved in below us as well (we were on the 4th Floor) and he worked at the Cowley car plant on nights Monday to Thursday. Then Friday afternoons the music (if you can call it that!) started, boom!boom!boom! belting out non-stop till Monday morning, when he went to bed ready to start his night shift that night. Went downstairs endless times to ask him to turn it down, but when we eventually could make him hear, he opened the door and it was like something out of the Bronx. All the walls were painted dark purple and black and there was smoke everywhere and it was a full-scale rap party going on for hours and hours. Just slammed the door in my face, the caretaker didn't want to know, nor did anyone else. The lifts were hardly ever working and if they did, they smelt of god knows what, more hygienic to use the stairs. Unless you lived on the 20th floor, that is. Worst 4 years of my life, couldn't wait to get out, would never live in a flat again if I could possibly help it.
Feel better after reading your experience as sometimes you think you're the only one suffering all this crap !

bringbackrattles

No one has to put up with this - but it's best to be aware that it can take a while to be resolved.

For the anti-social behaviour and loud music etc., there's the council. You may have to nag them a bit, but they'll come around and eventually the worst offenders will be sorted out.

For the drugs-dealing, there's always crimestoppers (anonymous reporting). I couldn't live with what you're putting up with - I hope you can sort it out.
Thanks Duffer for this much appreciated.I'll get things sorted as it can drive you nuts in the end. No wonder people lose the plot at times !

NorthernWisdom

Where the hell are you living? (just so I know where to avoid!)

One block I lived in, the upstairs neighbours liked their parties, and the bloke got so off his face he'd try and get in our flat instread of his own by mistake (bit freaky the first time! By the end I just slept through it:thinking about:). Was handy though, most of the neighbours were older and they took no shit, phoned the police, got her kicked out...

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I lived in Paul Stacey House in Hillfields many years ago - 4th floor. (think it's been demolished now :thinking about:). Anyhows, we had a fair time there for a few years (approx three), but that was back when the area was pretty decent - c1977 - not saying it isn't now, but the only concern we had was, that if any females had to wak anywhere - day or night - e.g. just to the local shops, they would nearly always be accosted by f**kin' kerb crawlers. I walked behind my missus once, just to see if she was exagerating, and I couldn't believe what I witnessed! There was a few cars that ended up with dented doors and wings that night after I'd ran up to the bastards!

skybluejelly

I lived in Paul Stacey House in Hillfields many years ago - 4th floor. (think it's been demolished now :thinking about:). Anyhows, we had a fair time there for a few years (approx three), but that was back when the area was pretty decent - c1977 - not saying it isn't now, but the only concern we had was, that if any females had to wak anywhere - day or night - e.g. just to the local shops, they would nearly always be accosted by f**kin' kerb crawlers. I walked behind my missus once, just to see if she was exagerating, and I couldn't believe what I witnessed! There was a few cars that ended up with dented doors and wings that night after I'd ran up to the bastards!

How much did you make????:)

bringbackrattles

Where the hell are you living? (just so I know where to avoid!)

One block I lived in, the upstairs neighbours liked their parties, and the bloke got so off his face he'd try and get in our flat instread of his own by mistake (bit freaky the first time! By the end I just slept through it:thinking about:). Was handy though, most of the neighbours were older and they took no shit, phoned the police, got her kicked out...
Bell Green.

skybluedan

My mate and his mrs went through torture when they were in a flat with noise and scum and the little fuckers below used to take the piss, when my mate was on his hols me and my pal kicked the door off one Saturday night at about 1am when the flat was full of cunts me with a crossbow on me arm and me pal with a petrol can, I've never seen so many bad boys cry and that was not the gas I sprayed in there haha funny enough a few weeks after my mate got back he mentioned to me that he had thought they had moved out because he had not heard a peep they hadn't haha to this day he does not know

duffer

Thanks Duffer for this much appreciated.I'll get things sorted as it can drive you nuts in the end. No wonder people lose the plot at times !

No worries mate. I'd say the key is to try to stay as calm as you can (not easy I know) and avoid confrontation. In my experience there's not much point in trying to be nice about it and talking to them - mostly it's a waste of time, and it just gives them a target when the police/council do come calling. Keep it anonymous, and if anyone does accuse you of complaining, deny everything!

With regard to the noise, start to keep a diary of what you're hearing, when, and for how long. When the Enviromental Health Officers turn up, it will be useful evidence. Don't do the English thing and underplay how badly it's upsetting you, it's important that you show them how much of a nuisance it is.

With regard to the dealer, try crimestoppers, and if that doesn't work PM me. I'm not a copper, but I know a fair few and I can pick their brains on this for you if needed.

Last option might be a complaint direct to the housing authority/landlord (if known), some of them are reasonably clued up about this sort of thing, and they will bounce out their worst tenants if they can.

I know from experience how grim it can seem - don't feel obliged to tolerate it, but also try to accept it can take a while to sort out. It can be done though. Like I say, PM me if you'd rather take this offline.

kdrinkell

I lived in a flat in Ivy Walk/Tarquin Close for five years lol, that was very eventful,cars being torched/stripped,every Friday afternoon the police chopper was hovering above there chasing bikes/people,crashes galore around there,neighbors had a friend come round to do some plumbing work the kids write wanker on his car :(

I dumped this bird and left,within two weeks she was burgled.

bringbackrattles

No worries mate. I'd say the key is to try to stay as calm as you can (not easy I know) and avoid confrontation. In my experience there's not much point in trying to be nice about it and talking to them - mostly it's a waste of time, and it just gives them a target when the police/council do come calling. Keep it anonymous, and if anyone does accuse you of complaining, deny everything!

With regard to the noise, start to keep a diary of what you're hearing, when, and for how long. When the Enviromental Health Officers turn up, it will be useful evidence. Don't do the English thing and underplay how badly it's upsetting you, it's important that you show them how much of a nuisance it is.

With regard to the dealer, try crimestoppers, and if that doesn't work PM me. I'm not a copper, but I know a fair few and I can pick their brains on this for you if needed.

Last option might be a complaint direct to the housing authority/landlord (if known), some of them are reasonably clued up about this sort of thing, and they will bounce out their worst tenants if they can.

I know from experience how grim it can seem - don't feel obliged to tolerate it, but also try to accept it can take a while to sort out. It can be done though. Like I say, PM me if you'd rather take this offline.
Cheers I'll see how things pan out and if nothing positive happens I'll get in touch.A neighbour says she's been getting strangers knocking her door and she says she'll report it so watch this space !

NorthernWisdom

Cheers I'll see how things pan out and if nothing positive happens I'll get in touch.A neighbour says she's been getting strangers knocking her door and she says she'll report it so watch this space !

If your neighbour's reporting it, now might be the time for you to as well. If different people are reporting things, it'll be obvious there's a problem and not just one person being over-sensitive.

Plus it won't be obvious it's you!

Users who are viewing this thread