Luis Binks (2 Viewers)

djr8369

There’s a bit in the supporters forum minutes where he’s asked if he’s putting cash into the playing side as well as the infrastructure and he gets very coy. You’ve just got to wonder if the Vik money is really all we’ve got or if he had a bit of a kitty planned anyway.
Possibly some outside finance as well but would depend on the structure if he’s saying there’s no debt.

Gynnsthetonic

There’s a bit in the supporters forum minutes where he’s asked if he’s putting cash into the playing side as well as the infrastructure and he gets very coy. You’ve just got to wonder if the Vik money is really all we’ve got or if he had a bit of a kitty planned anyway.
Big Mike is bunging a few quid, it makes sense, better players, bigger crowds more money for Frasers. Its all part of the grand master plan. Doug is Frasers 😆

Grendel

When Doug took control of the club I remember him saying Sisu weren't in a position to take the club forward but he was. To me this meant investment into the playing side. And the model that Doug seems to be following is to buy young exciting players and hope we get promoted, but also sell for huge profit when Mark and Viv have worked their magic and the players have hit the spotlight. The championship is a very good spotlight.

The Gyokeres sale and the fact the contracts of high earning (and often non performing) players ran down out the end of last season means all this activity will initially fund itself.

The wages I suspect of the overseas signings will be containable within the existing structure

I don’t think the previous owner would have had much issue with signing the players we have signed - I suspect they would have baulked at Simms signing due to his contract and not the fee.

That ultimately will be when we see if king is different. The funding of operating losses as and when the costs exceed annual turnover.

Sick Boy

Definitely a first team signing. Smart player as he ditched the spurs academy for first team game time in the MLS and took it in stride, so much so that Bologna took a chance on him. Didn’t have the best of loans with Como, but the whole team was undeniably shite. Comfortably Serie B level, not sure how that translates to the Champo but I’d say it’s around the same level.
The lower reaches of Serie B are more like League 1.

Kneeza

Are we absolutely sure Doug King hasn't had some kind of serious break down and has just lost the plot? Perhaps someone should check on him. This is getting ridiculous.
I'm just hoping he's going to buy Cov next. He could have both clubs at Prem level within 12 months.
😉😂

Evo1883

The Gyokeres sale and the fact the contracts of high earning (and often non performing) players ran down out the end of last season means all this activity will initially fund itself.

The wages I suspect of the overseas signings will be containable within the existing structure

I don’t think the previous owner would have had much issue with signing the players we have signed - I suspect they would have baulked at Simms signing due to his contract and not the fee.

That ultimately will be when we see if king is different. The funding of operating losses as and when the costs exceed annual turnover.

4 year deals everywhere , atleast 50% so far of player sales being reinvested ..

Sisu would never tbh , they never did in 15 years .. we've never had so many players that were ours on long contracts of this calibre

kg82

Huh? You’re suggesting that SISU/Joy would have gone out and spent the Gyokeres cash as long as the contracts were low? Or am I misreading?

Gibbo

Probably. If he doesn't, and keeps his place on merit, brilliant. If not, it'll be:

Latibeaudiere
Thomas
Binks (or A.N. Other)

Either way, that's a big leap from last season. Having CBs sorted is huge.
A big leap only in the longer term. McNally and Doyle were both excellent, not sure Lab & Binks will be their level on day 1

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Doug King’s at the wheel
Tell me how good does it feel
We’ve signed Dasilva, Van Ewijk and Binks
And Gus will sign a new deal
Do do do do do do do
Big Swede who who who

Skyblueweeman

I'm pretty certain Sisu would've had issues with the signings we made (excluding Simms). Nothing over the last 15 years (maybe bar the first one or two) indicates a willingness to reinvest much/any money into new signings. We've had the odd one or two - probably just Vik and Hamer to be fair.

But there's no way they would've been happy spending over £5m on the others, even with our increased revenues.

I find that an odd take given your feelings for Sisu and pretty much being on the ball on the finance side of things.

Pusb1

He's just started following us on twitter 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728_094514_X.jpg
    Screenshot_20230728_094514_X.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 126

Pusb1

Also i note

a certain Thierry Henry encouraged him to sign for Montreal

and during his recent stay at Como, played a full season with Cesc Fabregas! I note Fabregas was commenting on a few of Bink's instagram posts, so they must have had a decent relationship

Gibbo

Been mulling over, as a paid up prophet of doom, why we should not be getting too carried away

1. Plenty of clubs have spent big and not gone up (we heard fans like Stoke's complaining that they had spent money but not got a team as good as ours). It is no guarantee
2. Post Covid Championship clubs have not spent quite so liberally. For a brief window City's low cost model was more competitive.
3. Norwich & Watford badly underperformed last year. This year there will three relegated plus them, plus Boro, Sunderland, Millwall and WBA. Last year clubs like Blackburn did their damnedest to throw away the chance of promotion and we motored through the middle.
4. The 22-23 side had continuity. At times last Spring the 1st eleven was made up of 7 with over 2 years with the club (Gyokeres at 2 and a bit being the most recent) plus three loans and Bidwell. Not this year, with a vengeance.
5. Last time Robins built a team from scratch was League 2 ['Concrete Rod' McDonald, Peter Vincenti, Marc McNulty, a young Dom Hyam plus Bayliss and Shipley]. It has its own challenges. And it will be more multi-lingual.

There are plenty of upsides. I don't need to list them, and it is the best the Club has been since Dublin, Huckerby and Boateng but please do not be too hard on management and players if it does not work from day 1

Incidentally, where does O'Hare fit in? Palmer appears to be growing in stature and Saka looks very similar as a player.

skyblueelephant76

Been mulling over, as a paid up prophet of doom, why we should not be getting too carried away

1. Plenty of clubs have spent big and not gone up (we heard fans like Stoke's complaining that they had spent money but not got a team as good as ours). It is no guarantee
2. Post Covid Championship clubs have not spent quite so liberally. For a brief window City's low cost model was more competitive.
3. Norwich & Watford badly underperformed last year. This year there will three relegated plus them, plus Boro, Sunderland, Millwall and WBA. Last year clubs like Blackburn did their damnedest to throw away the chance of promotion and we motored through the middle.
4. The 22-23 side had continuity. At times last Spring the 1st eleven was made up of 7 with over 2 years with the club (Gyokeres at 2 and a bit being the most recent) plus three loans and Bidwell. Not this year, with a vengeance.
5. Last time Robins built a team from scratch was League 2 ['Concrete Rod' McDonald, Peter Vincenti, Marc McNulty, a young Dom Hyam plus Bayliss and Shipley]. It has its own challenges. And it will be more multi-lingual.

There are plenty of upsides. I don't need to list them, and it is the best the Club has been since Dublin, Huckerby and Boateng but please do not be too hard on management and players if it does not work from day 1

Incidentally, where does O'Hare fit in? Palmer appears to be growing in stature and Saka looks very similar as a player.
He also did it the season we won League One:

Marosi, Fadz, Rose, Dabo, Allen, O'Hare, Walsh, Jobello, Godden

Mucca Mad Boys

COH has to earn his stripes again. There’s the possibility he may not be the same player again.

My gut instinct is that we’ll be playing the box formation at the start of the season. Palmer and Sakamoto behind Simms with Bidwell and Van Ewijk as wingbacks to provide a lot of energy and movement around Simms.

TomRad85

Hull also spent a fair amount last summer and were still shite. But we aren't Stoke or Hull, Robins got this.

The Philosopher

4 year deals everywhere , atleast 50% so far of player sales being reinvested ..

Sisu would never tbh , they never did in 15 years .. we've never had so many players that were ours on long contracts of this calibre
SISU did spend money at the outset to be fair.

They saw players such as Westwood as assets to sell.

When Westwood refused to sign a new contract, they realised their business model / balance sheet was for the birds and things fell apart from that exact point in time.

Afterwards they were incredibly reluctant to pay any serious transfer fees for a long while.

And, to be fair, they did spend £1m plus on Hamer and possibly Vik and got their act together a bit towards the end.

Not sticking up for SISU, just adding a balance view.

Grendel

Huh? You’re suggesting that SISU/Joy would have gone out and spent the Gyokeres cash as long as the contracts were low? Or am I misreading?

They kept the transfer fees generally within the club. So that formed the budget. The issue was and always has been funding the inevitable annual shortfall

covcity4life

I'm pretty certain Sisu would've had issues with the signings we made (excluding Simms). Nothing over the last 15 years (maybe bar the first one or two) indicates a willingness to reinvest much/any money into new signings. We've had the odd one or two - probably just Vik and Hamer to be fair.

But there's no way they would've been happy spending over £5m on the others, even with our increased revenues.

I find that an odd take given your feelings for Sisu and pretty much being on the ball on the finance side of things.
Contrarian gimmick

Grendel

They kept the internal funding in the club generally. Profit on sales started to balance out.

Grendel

Grendel

For a man who works in Marketing you sure do have a strange superiority complex about other peoples jobs.

I don’t work in marketing

Users who are viewing this thread