Luton Town could play first Premier League games away (1 Viewer)

ceetee

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that they will direct their income towards their new ground rather than the squad. I'm not saying they will not spend anything on the squad but the ground will be priority

Alkhen

I have a hazy memory but wasn't there a League 2 (or equivalent at the time) Ages ago that was saved more than once because the teams that won the conference's grounds weren't up to spec?

xcraigx

I have a hazy memory but wasn't there a League 2 (or equivalent at the time) Ages ago that was saved more than once because the teams that won the conference's grounds weren't up to spec?

Macclesfield and Stevenage were not allowed promotion to the football league in the 90s as their grounds were not up to scratch. If I remember correctly football league Chester were homeless at the time and used Macclesfield's Moss Road ground. Good enough then but not for Macc. The teams saved may have been Wigan and Torquay?

bigfatronssba

I may be wrong, but I have the impression that they will direct their income towards their new ground rather than the squad. I'm not saying they will not spend anything on the squad but the ground will be priority

Which is sensible. It would ensure their long term stability.
That ground right now is like an anchor around their necks

Terry Gibson's perm

If they spend the money on the ground then they have no need for any parachute payments as they have no reason to soften the inevitable fall back into the champ.

bigfatronssba

Terry Gibson's perm

Which is sensible. It would ensure their long term stability.
That ground right now is like an anchor around their necks

So all the subscribers around the world will be shareholders then as they have paid for it, while they put out an inferior product on the field.

Terry Gibson's perm

Using some of the money to repair the current ground is ok but they are talking about using the money to build their new ground that is not acceptable.

bigfatronssba

Nowhere close to £10 million worth of work though. The CBS is prem ready. Kenilworth Road is a time machine to the 60s.

60s? More like the 20s! Most of Highfield Road was built in the 60s and was still miles ahead of Luton.

The CBS would’ve needed new floodlights, and a permanent TV studio.
Obviously nothing like Luton need, but would Mike Ashley have been paying for it?

fatso

they will have pretty much the same costs that they went up with why do they need propping up when they get relegated?
Cus those are the rules, obviously.
That's the same for every club in the Premier league, it's not means tested, it's their reward for getting out of the championship, are you suggesting they should be penalised for being financially prudent? If you are that's probably the single most insane thing I've ever read on any forum ever!!!

Flying Fokker

Will they get a suspended points fine like we did?

I know of another team with a good ground that's ready to go. ;)
Look what you started. It’s what happens on the pitch that counts. Hope they have a good start to the season. We did ok even though we had games moved.

Terry Gibson's perm

Cus those are the rules, obviously.
That's the same for every club in the Premier league, it's not means tested, it's their reward for getting out of the championship, are you suggesting they should be penalised for being financially prudent? If you are that's probably the single most insane thing I've ever read on any forum ever!!!

There is being prudent and making no effort horrible as it sounds the league is an entertainment product and teams like them are not going to add to it if they don’t spend at least Forest went up and tried ( although in a slightly mad way)

Flying Fokker

Well, yes, it’s what football club ownership is about. Better than having no ground? Or maybe scenarios like us and Leeds?

San Francisco

60s? More like the 20s! Most of Highfield Road was built in the 60s and was still miles ahead of Luton.

Obviously nothing like Luton need, but would Mike Ashley have been paying for it?

Absolutely unless he’s happy losing his most lucrative tenant. And why would we pay? We don’t own the ground.

The CableGuy

Look what you started. It’s what happens on the pitch that counts. Hope they have a good start to the season. We did ok even though we had games moved.

I just want consistency. We got a suspended points fine, they should get the same if their ground isn't ready. Beyond that I wish them luck for next season. I've already got plans for what I can start next weekend. ;)

fatso

There is being prudent and making no effort horrible as it sounds the league is an entertainment product and teams like them are not going to add to it if they don’t spend at least Forest went up and tried ( although in a slightly mad way)
Using the money to build a new stadium and increase revenue streams to secure a solid debt free future is quite probably the best use of PL money any club has ever done.

There's no guarantee that they won't survive either, especially with Everton quite likely to get a points deduction for numerous breaches of ffp rules, and other clubs possibly following suit.

There are other teams that will probably struggle to finish above Luton, such as Sheff Utd, Wolves, Fulham, Crystal Palace, to name just 4. So everything is possible for Luton, and we may be surprised by their recruitment.

Ashdown

New floodlights ?

bigfatronssba

New floodlights ?

Ones at the CBS aren't bright enough for UHD broadcasting, which they need to be for Premier League broadcasting

hill83

They should be demoted to the championship for failing to have a fit ground, and replaced by the team that finished runners up in the play offs.

Would you give a fuck then?

If the situation was completely different and involved something I do care about would I give a fuck?

I reckon I would you know.

bigfatronssba

Has there ever been a team kicked out of the prem? For any reason.

No.
No one from the old First Division was either

lord_garrincha

They should be demoted to the championship for failing to have a fit ground, and replaced by the team that finished runners up in the play offs.

Would you give a fuck then?
He shouldn't, because it will result in Leicester staying up, most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread