Man City & PSG Cheat FFP rules (1 Viewer)

Covstu

No surprise really, the FFP rules to date have only punished lower clubs rather than the big ones

fernandopartridge

FFP is pointless anyway whilst huge tv deals exist for the top leagues, it's only saying that you can't be super super rich rather than super rich.

SBAndy

The big clubs are too powerful. Now they are literally self-managing competitions they are involved in. Looking like football ceases to exist as we know it come 2021.

Covstu

The big clubs are too powerful. Now they are literally self-managing competitions they are involved in. Looking like football ceases to exist as we know it come 2021.
Yep they apply too much pressure and they will walk away to create the Euro league

Captain Dart

Terry Gibson's perm

I haven’t read it yet but the start shows a lot the Infantino going soft this man is no better than Blatter

tisza

who's going to do anything about it?
Money talks - oil money bought hosting the next World cup.
UEFA silence bought over Russia bid through Gazprom replacing existing CL sponsors that had dropped out over football corruption scandals

Insider

The most pointless piece of regulation in sport - the idea is dreamed up to get teams on a level playing field without actually having any of the teeth and backbone to enforce it. The premise is a good one, in that if all teams have a level playing football should become more competitive and the gap between teams should not be such a vast chasm, the model works in US sports were there are strict caps in place, the culture of football at the top would have to change for that to work and I cant see it happening. The top clubs have too much sway over UEFA and FIFA couldn't care less - both only care about money and the fear of that money creating a breakaway league or governing body

tisza

The most pointless piece of regulation in sport - the idea is dreamed up to get teams on a level playing field without actually having any of the teeth and backbone to enforce it. The premise is a good one, in that if all teams have a level playing football should become more competitive and the gap between teams should not be such a vast chasm, the model works in US sports were there are strict caps in place, the culture of football at the top would have to change for that to work and I cant see it happening. The top clubs have too much sway over UEFA and FIFA couldn't care less - both only care about money and the fear of that money creating a breakaway league or governing body
Problem with any comparisons to US sports is the market size. There really is nowhere else for these US football, basketball, baseball players to play. No leverage for players to say i'm off to Germany or Uk as i can get better money. There are only a certain number of professional places available - about 360 places across NBA, 1700 NFL etc
Also their systems are fed by a draft - totally impractical in a football situation due to the world-wide nature of recruitment

Insider

You are correct to an extent, and 100% correct when looked at as a whole. However, I will get more granular to explain what I mean.

In order to keep a level playing field years ago the governing bodies implemented a salary cap, otherwise you would get the situation where those teams with the most financial clout could in theory offer players ridiculous contracts and see players wind out their contracts with the relevant franchise they are with - which is seen a lot in football these days a la Sanchez. One method to create that level field in football is to adopt a alary cap model. The issue is there is not the appetite for it from the clubs, especially the rich clubs who stand to lose the most out of anyone, and because of that UEFA and FIFA can not exact any meaningful change, which is why the teams at very top very rarely leave. NFL owners have tried and failed in the past to get salary caps amended or scrapped to ni avail because however much they are despised the NFL are more powerful than the club owners, especially when it is only the minority that want change

However none of that will be replicated in football so no chance of not seeing the very rich constantly winning the relevant leagues

Brighton Sky Blue

The new rules allow clubs to lose £90 million a season. Imagine typical businesses being allowed those sorts of losses.

Users who are viewing this thread