Manchester City breaking financial rules (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I get that but you'd want to be able to compete, it used to be champions league money that made the top four a closed shop. You could now argue that 7 is the ceiling and what's the point.

At the beginning of this season you could make an argument for most of the championship getting into the play offs. In the Premier League you could make an argument for over half the league finishing in the bottom 3. Even with half a season 8 from 20 could conceivably go down.
Because as we tend to see most seasons, at least one of those big clubs messes up and leaves the door open. This year Liverpool and Chelsea. I have a soft spot for Brighton anyway but they've shown how to do it.

Nuskyblue

Because as we tend to see most seasons, at least one of those big clubs messes up and leaves the door open. This year Liverpool and Chelsea. I have a soft spot for Brighton anyway but they've shown how to do it.
I'll give you that with one of the big boys slipping up, the issue is that there are absolute financial monsters at the top. It used to be Man Utd now there are 6 equivalents.

Fair play to Brighton. They have a plan and it seems to be working, they remind me of Southampton before they slowly went tits up.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'll give you that with one of the big boys slipping up, the issue is that there are absolute financial monsters at the top. It used to be Man Utd now there are 6 equivalents.

Fair play to Brighton. They have a plan and it seems to be working, they remind me of Southampton before they slowly went tits up.
Well because English football shamelessly whored itself out to the highest bidder and we praise clubs who spend ridiculous sums chasing the dragon, the best we could hope for is to get there and attract someone with more money than sense.

Failing that, a Tony Bloom type owner able to sustain the club at that level even if not able to throw silly money at it.

Nuskyblue

I think that Tony Bloom character has pumped Million upon million tho. They must be okay financially now tho with the 200 odd million worth of sales over the last few years

Nuskyblue

Well because English football shamelessly whored itself out to the highest bidder and we praise clubs who spend ridiculous sums chasing the dragon, the best we could hope for is to get there and attract someone with more money than sense.

Failing that, a Tony Bloom type owner able to sustain the club at that level even if not able to throw silly money at it.
I make you right 100%

I just checked, saw a headline that Brighton owed him £400 mil as recently as 2021, god knows what for. The stadium maybe?

Brighton Sky Blue

I make you right 100%

I just checked, saw a headline that Brighton owed him £400 mil as recently as 2021, god knows what for. The stadium maybe?
Most of it's for the stadium. Got past the gridlock caused by it being on land in the jurisdiction of two different councils.

Probably won't go the way of Southampton who I think really started to suffer once their billionaire died and his family lost interest. They buy smartly, extract good money for players when sold and bring through decent academy players too. Good family club.

Nuskyblue

Most of it's for the stadium. Got past the gridlock caused by it being on land in the jurisdiction of two different councils.

Probably won't go the way of Southampton who I think really started to suffer once their billionaire died and his family lost interest. They buy smartly, extract good money for players when sold and bring through decent academy players too. Good family club.
Councils causing issues for football clubs. That will never catch on...

Ohh yea I forgot about that for Southampton, still on the same family isn't it? I'm guessing the leadership is no longer there and by extension the recruitment which is what they did really well for a time.

Brighton Sky Blue

Councils causing issues for football clubs. That will never catch on...

Ohh yea I forgot about that for Southampton, still on the same family isn't it? I'm guessing the leadership is no longer there and by extension the recruitment which is what they did really well for a time.
The Liebherrs are now 20% stakeholders, the other 80 is by a company funded through a Serbian tycoon.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I get that but you'd want to be able to compete, it used to be champions league money that made the top four a closed shop. You could now argue that 7 is the ceiling and what's the point.

At the beginning of this season you could make an argument for most of the championship getting into the play offs. In the Premier League you could make an argument for over half the league finishing in the bottom 3. Even with half a season 8 from 20 could conceivably go down.
So a third of the league is competing for top 4? That’s not bad 2bh. If you get a Qatari billionaire or royal family member that becomes 8. It’s totally feasible in the premier league

Nuskyblue

So a third of the league is competing for top 4? That’s not bad 2bh. If you get a Qatari billionaire or royal family member that becomes 8. It’s totally feasible in the premier league
I know it's feasible but that doesn't sit right with me. I can only go back through my footballing memory to Arsenal and Arsené Wenger regularly challenging Man Utd on a relatively modest budget (I think Klopp is in the same mould at Liverpool). Now you need the backing of a nation state/oligarch and that makes me sad.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I bet hardly anything happens to them. It's Man City ffs! PL are scared of upsetting the big boys! :LOL:

wingy

They'll pay a financial penalty and all the boys at the PL will get a nice bonus and nothing will change.

ccfc1234

I suspect they are still afraid of the European super league rearing it's head again. Won't want to upset any of the big teams.
City are a big team in terms of money and success, not sure their fan base is top 6 in the premiership.

Users who are viewing this thread