Mark Robins (1 Viewer)

SkyblueSpecial

I have heard a lot of fans say that if we keep Robins we will be promoted straight back up

As much as I think Robins is a good manager, aren't we being a bit premature here?

Robins had a very good first spell with us, however things have changed. How can we be sure that he will be a success this time?

I can't help but think that some are getting a little carried away with recent form. In comparison to the Slade era Robins seems like a miracle worker. However there are some stats worth looking at.

In his first 8 games in charge, MR has got us 10 points.
In Mark Venus' first 8 games we accumulated 13 points.

Since Robins come in our form has dramatically improved. But not to the point that it will bring success. 10 points from 8 games is lower mid table form. Not promotion form.

Just to be clear however that I am not criticising the man. This is clearly a very poor squad that he is getting the best out of. But I don't think we should be expecting him to transform CCFC. A lot of very successful managers have tried to achieve something at this club and all of them have failed.

NortonSkyBlue

I have heard a lot of fans say that if we keep Robins we will be promoted straight back up

As much as I think Robins is a good manager, aren't we being a bit premature here?

Robins had a very good first spell with us, however things have changed. How can we be sure that he will be a success this time?

I can't help but think that some are getting a little carried away with recent form. In comparison to the Slade era Robins seems like a miracle worker. However there are some stats worth looking at.

Since Robins come in our form has dramatically improved. But not to the point that it will bring success. 10 points from 8 games is lower mid table form. Not promotion form.

Just to be clear however that I am not criticising the man. This is clearly a very poor squad that he is getting the best out of. But I don't think we should be expecting him to transform CCFC. A lot of very successful managers have tried to achieve something at this club and all of them have failed.
You are probably right, he does seem like a ray of sunshine compared to Slade but I happen to think we need to buy into him. Otherwise what is there to look forward to?

oucho

Don't forget that MR lost his first 3 in charge - it took him those games to lift the players off the floor (he also lost his first couple of games first time around). The improvement since MK Dons is what we should look at.

There's no harm in some optimism given relegation - I for one do not expect promotion but I do I expect us to be competitive. The Checkatrade final and the run of 3 wins and a draw in our last 5 league outings have taken a lot of the edge off the anger we'd otherwise have seen (that, and that we've expected relegation for months so there's not been the dramatic impact of a sudden fall-away in form dooming us).

I do remember in 2012 our fans clearly saying "we'll do much better next season, look at some of the teams we'll have to play....Carlisle, Yeovil, Colchester, Stevenage, Crewe, Notts County..." well guess what, we've got a second chance now because we're playing them again!

Last edited:

rupert_bear

The hope I am clinging to regarding Robins is why has he come back ? Okay you could say for him here the only way is up, but he's a pro-manager and knows the score especially here, which went wrong very quickly 3 years ago looks a strong determined character always looks quiet stern but focused when interviewed. I am just praying things are in the wind. I think we will soon find out.

ajsccfc

I think the context of where the team was is the main difference. Venus and Slade took over the team while in a precarious position, Robins took it over while holding on to the cliff edge by a fingernail. That we weren't relegated until this weekend is a minor miracle.

oucho

The hope I am clinging to regarding Robins is why has he come back ? Okay you could say for him here the only way is up, but he's a pro-manager and knows the score especially here, which went wrong very quickly 3 years ago
He did well, got an offer from a club in a higher division which was more money and closer to where he lived, and took the offer. Simple as that. Sisu had bugger all to do with it.

rupert_bear

He did well, got an offer from a club in a higher division which was more money and closer to where he lived, and took the offer. Simple as that. Sisu had bugger all to do with it.
Don't be nieve, broken assurances had a massive part in it. Yes a better offer came in, but these people have agents etc looking after them and ccfc probably woeful Waggott renaged on promises and MR's agent did what he is paid to do, look after his client.

SkyblueSpecial

If a business Sisu owns cannot hold on to its employees then it has everything to do with Sisu.

The fact that Huddersfield could pay him more and were in a higher division didn't just happen by accident.

Gazolba

What I see as the big danger now is that people are starting to think that Burge is a good enough GK.
He isn't. And our first priority must be an experienced dominant goal-keeper.

trevelfarandwide

I feel Robins will stay for at least one season, maybe 2 if he gets promotion.

If he manages to squeeze us into the playoffs next season, he'll have worked a minor miracle, however my realism radar is set to mid-table.

Juan Kerr

Don't be nieve, broken assurances had a massive part in it. Yes a better offer came in, but these people have agents etc looking after them and ccfc probably woeful Waggott renaged on promises and MR's agent did what he is paid to do, look after his client.
Yes, don't be an Irish lass, with your flaxen hair and pale skin, if you think you're fooling anyone you must be really naive.

Juan Kerr

Clinton Morrison?
La la la la la, it's Morrison he's through on goal, just a simple tap in. Oh, he's thrown his arms into the air and started to abuse his team mates instead.
Ah those heady days of the Championship.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
La la la la la, it's Morrison he's through on goal, just a simple tap in. Oh, he's thrown his arms into the air and started to abuse his team mates instead.
Ah those heady days of the Championship.

And when him and Warnock had beef on the touchline.

Juan Kerr

And when him and Warnock had beef on the touchline.
The best touchline 'scuffle' I ever saw was Garry Bennett carrying David Speedie off the pitch by his throat and introducing him to the advertising hoardings.
Those Mackems will not let it go. It's a shame as we're no threat to their championship status. We won't be relegating them again for a good few years.

Users who are viewing this thread