marketing campaign (1 Viewer)

Coval

Do you believe that to be considered a fan you must only enjoy one sport and offer unconditional support to your chosen team. I believe in order to retain your loyalty the club has an obligation to provide some entertainment value in return for the money you give them. I was a season ticket holder for 22 years and still attend many games more in hope than expectation.
Monday was a good example, the entertainment value was almost nil and I left feeling worse than I went.
I did not go on principal to Sixfields (Once to Northampton in 1990 a game best forgotten )
If others like you think I should not post here I will gladly stop.

lordsummerisle

Do you believe that to be considered a fan you must only enjoy one sport and offer unconditional support to your chosen team. I believe in order to retain your loyalty the club has an obligation to provide some entertainment value in return for the money you give them. I was a season ticket holder for 22 years and still attend many games more in hope than expectation.
Monday was a good example, the entertainment value was almost nil and I left feeling worse than I went.
I did not go on principal to Sixfields (Once to Northampton in 1990 a game best forgotten )

What was the principle that stopped you going to Sixfield?

Not wanting to watch a team torn away from its roots perhaps?

Not firmly held principles from the looks of it.

Nick

Administrator

You are welcome to post on here, but you have to remember this is a CCFC forum and out of 26 posts so far how many have been CCFC related?

lordsummerisle

Thought they were Dublin based?

Will check those out then.

Closest Ryanair nowadays from those places is to Stansted, Aer Lingus only from Cork to BHX, not SNN, still plenty of seats on that one.

They may have brought a few more over if at Wycombe to be fair, make a weekend of it in London.

Suppose they could always do Jumping Jaks.

Bannister

Why would they come from Cork or Shannon?? Leinster is a Dublin team?

Very few "freebies" for this match - most tickets available at £28 - I know because I bought 10 of them after watching 12 minutes of the Swindon match!!

lordsummerisle

Very few "freebies" for this match - most tickets available at £28 - I know because I bought 10 of them after watching 12 minutes of the Swindon match!!

Really, advertising them on the radio at £15.00 yesterday?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why does it matter that Leinster are a Dublin team? Wasps are a London team but that doesn't stop people going to watch them.

Ashdown

I wouldn't mind if a few hundred of the Irish fans came down to Cov after the franchise game and lend a bit of support to the real team in Cov !

oldfiver

I think the worry for CCFC and Fisher has to be that there is now a top level sports team competing for the same community interest as CCFC have attempted to attract. That new competition is prepared to throw considerable resource at it and many will be attracted by the glitz of it. Indeed the RFU will support them in doing so in much the same way the FA/FL support clubs. In fact the seeming re-emergence of CRFC adds to the pressure to choose between football and rugby.

Just as an aside to that if they have done community studies for the supposed new stadium will those financials be affected by the new community competition and if so how much.

The "Community studies" were originally carried out by Cov Rugby and "borrowed"

wingy

The Chairman will ferry them to Millsys or the Oak :welcome:
He really should run a shuttle tbf
Its a fair uphill stagger after an afternoon /early evening stagger when you've been on your feet for 5-6 hours

Last edited:

duffer

I would think that this will ruffle a few feathers for some

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/clubs/34453.php#.VKvGQU1ybcs

but isn't this the kind of thing a professional club needs to do to embed in to a community. Is it the sort of thing CCFC should be doing perhaps?

Hmmm. Funny how it doesn't mention the rugby team that I support, Coventry RFC - established in the Coventry and Warwickshire community since 1874.

It's surprising how so many people who now profess a love for the game have never actually been there.

Personally I really like football, but y'know, I'd prefer to watch Premiership football. Maybe I should go watch Villa.

mattylad

Cov have moved their kick off back 30 minutes to accommodate the wasps game and will show it in the bar for those who don't want a mad dash from the ricoh. They expect a season high crowd so it certainly doesn't seem to be adversely effecting them.

wingy

Cov have moved their kick off back 30 minutes to accommodate the wasps game and will show it in the bar for those who don't want a mad dash from the ricoh. They expect a season high crowd so it certainly doesn't seem to be adversely effecting them.

They've been pretty savvy tbf and have even marketed their game towards Leinsters fans though websites etc.

Edit;-Possible they may break the 2k barrier tomorrow.

chiefdave

Straangely they took no notice when businesses were complaaining about lack of business when Cov were in Northampton and refused to do any surveys on the economic impact of the club being here(or not).

If this one game is, according to Lucas, bringing millions into the local economy how much was lost when we were at Sixfields? How much could be lost annually if we end up moving out of the city permanently?

martcov

If this one game is, according to Lucas, bringing millions into the local economy how much was lost when we were at Sixfields? How much could be lost annually if we end up moving out of the city permanently?

If we had an economic survey it would have cost money and the answer would have been - the city is better off with a sports franchise at the Ricoh ( obvious ). Two "franchises" even better. Thus justifying CCC/AL's actions.

We were away one year and the hope was that CCFC would come back. They said they weren't going to come back and someone else jumped in ( although CCFC are back at least short term ). We will average circa 8000 this season ( without Gillingham ) and Wasps will play less games, but bring in higher gates and hopefully get into Europe.

The year away will be almost wiped out in one year by there now being two teams at the Ricoh. If CCFC are forced to stay longer because the P.i.t.S. Doesn't take place, or needs 5 or 6 years to be operational, then economically speaking everyone is happy.

A 100% commercial owned company with security of tenure can plan for the future and aggressively market the facilities without having to follow council or charity regulations. Chances are that they will bring in more alternative business in the next few years.

So, if you are trying to knock the council, I wouldn't bother about short term loss of revenue for local businesses as long term they are better off with the Ricoh under secure ownership by a commercial company - even if it isn't the company some fans would prefer.

chiefdave

If we had an economic survey it would have cost money

The survey must have been done, if it hasn't on what basis is Lucas claiming that todays Wasps game is bringing into the city. So if the survey was being done anyway why not also assess the impact of CCFC?

SkyBlue_Bear83

If we had an economic survey it would have cost money and the answer would have been - the city is better off with a sports franchise at the Ricoh ( obvious ). Two "franchises" even better. Thus justifying CCC/AL's actions.

We were away one year and the hope was that CCFC would come back. They said they weren't going to come back and someone else jumped in ( although CCFC are back at least short term ). We will average circa 8000 this season ( without Gillingham ) and Wasps will play less games, but bring in higher gates and hopefully get into Europe.

The year away will be almost wiped out in one year by there now being two teams at the Ricoh. If CCFC are forced to stay longer because the P.i.t.S. Doesn't take place, or needs 5 or 6 years to be operational, then economically speaking everyone is happy.

A 100% commercial owned company with security of tenure can plan for the future and aggressively market the facilities without having to follow council or charity regulations. Chances are that they will bring in more alternative business in the next few years.

So, if you are trying to knock the council, I wouldn't bother about short term loss of revenue for local businesses as long term they are better off with the Ricoh under secure ownership by a commercial company - even if it isn't the company some fans would prefer.

A successful football club is worth more than a successful rugby club though.

I think the success remains to be seen, how attendances will be in future years time. If in ten years time CCFC have left the Ricoh (maybe the city) and Wasps are averaging barely 10k with say 15 games a year (11 premiership matches I believe there are plus whatever cup matches they have), if they drop out of europe it could be even worse in terms of attendances and games played. How is that better than even a below average championship club getting 15k for 25 games a year at the Ricoh. Before you say it will never happen under SISU I'm talking beyond and after SISU.

martcov

The survey must have been done, if it hasn't on what basis is Lucas claiming that todays Wasps game is bringing into the city. So if the survey was being done anyway why not also assess the impact of CCFC?

I agree that any figures she quotes are likely to be higher than the reality.... And I don't think there was a survey as someone would have seen the payments for it somewhere in an audit.

NorthernWisdom

On the one level yes, sad to say.

It frustrates and annoys however, that projections are made on the short-term and tangible monetary benefits or otherwise; it annoys and frustrates that it seems local government no longer takes into account (or is allowed to take into account) the value of identity, the permanence of a heritage, and the depth that comes with time, as opposed to the shimmering surface.

It's all a bit too much Instant Success for me.

lordsummerisle

I think SARACENS who play next may have a bearing on It LS.

3 best placed runners up to go through I think, so Northampton, Wasps, and prob Saracens. Leicester getting stuffed by Ulster and Toulouse losing to Montpelier big surprises which have cost them both.

Users who are viewing this thread