Match report: Leicester City 1-1 Coventry City (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

wpid-Leicester-City-vs-Coventry-City.jpg

LOCAL bragging rights were shared in the M69 Derby where the Sky Blues picked up a hard-earned point against rivals Leicester City at the Walkers stadium on Saturday.

Aidy Boothroyd kept faith with the side that impressed mid-week and he had his goalkeeper to thank in the opening minutes when Darius Vassell found himself through on the goal, but Keiren Westwood was on hand to deny the former England international.

Much has been made throughout the week about certain chants aimed at Marlon King and the 30-year-old didn’t help that cause when he put the visitors ahead, sending the Coventry faithful into a state of ecstasy at the same time.

Lukas Jutkiewicz did superbly on the right took to hook a ball back across the face of goal and King was quickest to react to slot the ball past Leicester goalkeeper Ricardo for his sixth league goal of the season.

King should have doubled the visitors lead just minutes later. After taking the ball down superbly in the penalty area, he skipped around Ricardo, but after doing all the hard work he fired his left-footed shot wide when it looked easier to score.

Winger David Bell came close with a powerful effort from outside the box and Richard Keogh struck the top of the crossbar with a header, before the hosts started threatening Keiren Westwood in the Coventry goal.

First Paul Gallagher fired over after some good work down the left by former Coventry loan player Patrick Van Aanholt and then midfielder Yuki Abe came within inches of his first goal for Leicester after bursting through the Sky Blue's defence, but his half-volley sailed just wide.

It was no surprise to see Sven Goran Eriksson's side grab an equaliser minutes before half-time when 22-year-old Kyle Naughton, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur, cut inside and curled a wonderful left-footed shot past Westwood to level the scores before the interval.

Boothroyd looked comfortable to walk away from the Walkers with a point as Coventry sat back after the re-start, but they had goalkeeper Keiren Westwood to thank for pulling off an outstanding save just after the hour mark.

Gallagher curled a dangerous free-kick into the Sky Blues penalty area, which was met by the head of Yakubu whose effort was superbly saved at full stretch by Westwood and Sol Bamba struck the rebound against the inside of the post.

The Sky Blues struggled to create any clear cut chances in the second period but the heroic partnership of Nathan Cameron and Richard Wood were keeping Leicester's attacking options to a minimal.

The introduction of Lloyd Dyer caused the Sky Blues problems. Firstly the pacey winger did well to pull the ball back for Van Aanholt in the Coventry penalty area but he fired his left-footed effort high over the bar.

The 28-year-old then almost got a touch to a dangerous Van Aanholt cross in the second minute of injury time but the Sky Blues held on to secure a much deserved point and halt Leicester's play-off surge.

Attendance: 25,356 (1351 away)

Team: Westwood,
Keogh, O’Halloran Cameron, Wood
Bell, Cranie (Sent off 89) , Gunnarsson, Baker
Jutkiewicz, King​

Subs used: Clingan (63), Eastwood (70)​

Subs not used – Ireland, Hussey, Clingan, Ruffles, O’Donovan, McSheffrey

Man of the match: Nathan Cameron – The young defender was up against one of the best strikers in the Championship, but he dealt with Yakubu superbly and was solid throughout.

Pigeon

Was a decent game and our lads really went for it in the first half, would have been fantastic to get all 3 points but I'll settle for slowing down their play off push. I had a really good day out so cheers to everyone who got involved in the singing and banter during the game. Thought King and Juke had a great game and a really good partnership is developing there. Cameron and Wood did well in the middle to hold off Leicester. O'Halloran was questionable all game and it wasn't a surprise that he came off. Nice to see Sammy back in the team, especially now that Cranie wont be available next game. My one little moan is that the last few games when Freddie comes on he walks around like he's been on all match and looks knackered, I'd like to see him come on and run his socks off trying to get the winner. PUSB:D

BenInTurin

Facebook User
From watching the highlights of the last to games, jukebox is starting to look a bit better. Better touch and it was great the way he got round the defender to set up king.

Jimthor

Perhaps Aidy should put Hussey on to give O'Halloran some competition for his place :confused:

My thoughts exactly. Is Hussey 100% fit again? If so it might be worth giving him a run out, he can hardly be bloody worse.
Tbh i'd have gone back to Cranie at LB with Clingan in CM for the next game, but with Cranie suspended i guess we'll be sticking with O'Halloran. He's a liability at times tho.

tippex9

I'm glad you lit think the same as me about O'Halloran, I thought I was being harsh. I can think of 4 goals he's been responsible for, he has zero pace and awful distribution. I hate jumping on a City players back but I don't feel comfortable with him in the side. Cranie looks easily more steady there but I'd like to see Hussey get a run.

O'Halloran can't keep blaming lack of games now, he's had a fair run.

Jimthor

I think some aspects of O'Halloran's game are good, he has made a couple of decent contributions here and there, but the big big problem is the ease with which he gets beaten. We're going to be constantly exposed on that side, and any team with a pacey right winger is going to tear us apart as long as he's in the side.

ccfctommy

I think its a bit too early to write off O'Halloran, he has came back from a few serious injuries and is only just starting his career here. I admit I do like Hussey though and think its good for competition.

Users who are viewing this thread