Matchday #3 - Coventry vs Derby (1 Viewer)

sy79

2-0 to Sky Blues, think the lads will be full of confidence knowing they can score on there own abilities and we seem to have that little bit of luck on your side that you need in this league!

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Last edited:

Bopquar

Well there's at least one prediction I've got right this week. Ben Turner = Incredible!

TOP OF THE LEAGUE!! :p

Last edited:

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Yeah Ben Turner was man of the match for me ! He played so well even before that goal... and a lot of people I know slag him off :O
Well done Sky Blues !!!

Nick

Administrator
We are still not top of the league though!

Great game but I think Platt did well as well!

Great goal by Turner and a good ball in from Carsley!

CovInEssex

A very gritty win in front of an embarrassing crowd size.

3 points none the less - still unbeaten - bring on millwall!

Quite happy with the result. Platt impressed me. Well done to Turner. Also noticed Marlon King with in the crowd. There are some testing games ahead let's hope this unbeaten streak keeps going.

Last edited:

tippex9

I didn't think we played that well today, infact I don't think we've really hit our mark yet this season, but results is the main currency so I'm more than happy!!!

Turner can be proud of himself today, first class and by his celebration that goal meant the world to him.

Harsh that we've won today and gone down two places, lol.

tippex9

Oh yeah and did you see who's bottom???????

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Sing on your own, go and sing on your owwwwwwwn, You're going home with no points, Go and sing on your own :)

What a pathetic performance by Robbie Savage as well to top it all off, he was piss poor.

3 good results now, we've shown against Pompey we can keep a lead, against Watford we can fight our way back into a game and today we've shown if we give away a lead we have enough about us to go and snatch it back.

Will people please stop moaning about longball as well, true it can be boring to watch but once Jutkiewicz went off there was only one way to play after that. If we passed the ball around like Derby we would be moaning that that's boring as well..

flammablepiss

Facebook User
In terms of how we played I think that we weren't anything special... for a lot of the first half I think we controlled the possession of the ball quite well but our defensive display was piss poor ! This isnt all the defenders fault though because I thought Cranie and Turner played very well... I think perhaps Aidy is trying to go with rather attacking tactics... don't get me wrong, I think attacking minded play is what we have really needed for a long time but it seems a bit of a gamble when our midfield is seeming to forget about its defensive duties.
I'm sure we will find that balance after a few more games though.

ccfc luke

Good win.
I definatly still think we need to carry on improving if we are to challenge promotion this year but still very happy. i think carsley, Turner and platt were very
good.

Just a shame that the attendance was so poor, 13k is just embarrising and really is a disgrace.

PUSB :p

CovLis86

Wasnt impressed with the performance today at all to be honest. Really outplayed for 80% of the game, then just a lot of wasted corners.
Both goals were taken well though, and Turner put in a gret performance with no errors! No McPake today, do you think he could be one of the outs AB keeps talking about?

Great save again by KW too. He really is top class and we will miss him more than i think we realise if he does leave.

Nick

Administrator
I think Derby would have passed it round us all day if we had let them and I have noticed some grit about us which we didnt have last season :)

Derby can knock it about in their own half all they like! It wasn't hurting us! At least until the second half anyway. I hate the way people brand a 'poor performance' and a 'bad performance' simply on whether or not we played attractive football. That was Coleman and Dowie's downfall. Fact is, we have Micky Doyle and Lee Carsley at centre mid. Not Xavi and Iniesta! And if it works, why not use it.

Because when all is said and done, the scoreline simply reads 'Coventry City 2-1 Derby County'. That's the main bit. Not the attendance, not the style of play, not the possession, the score.

I for one would be rather annoyed if we played attractive football each game but didn't win. All this hoofball rubbish is wide of the mark. We don't always hoof it up to the big boys, today, Sheffers often made some neat moves linking up with the strikers.

Lee Carsley and Micky Doyle are there for a specific reason. To get on the opponent's nerves, and to win that ball. And it worked today. Carsley made Savage look very, very poor, and Doyler, despite all that is said about him, has been a rock. Anyone who has been to any of the 4 games we have played this season, would agree that Doyler has been superb. You don't keep Aron Gunnarsson and Sammy Clingan out of the side if you're playing as poor as some say.

In conclusion, having said all the above, I prefer playing scrappily and digging out a result, rather than trying to play intricate passing football and regularly losing leads and losing games we perhaps should win, like last season. The teams at the top are the ones who win games they should lose, and the teams at the bottom are the ones who lose the games they should win.

One more thing, isn't it great to see our academy being heralded. Ben Turner and Nathan Cameron at centre half and Gary McSheffrey on the left. Cameron reminds me a bit of Des Walker. Big, strong and quick. He'll get better and better given the chance. And Ben 'Calamity' Turner showing why we've kept the faith in him. Hopefully the mistakes he makes are in the past. If so, he could become a very tidy player.

Last edited:

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
Well said Fines Pot pretty much agree 100% with you - Michael Doyle is 1 of my favourite players so far this season! Hopefully we can do more of the same and use Carsley / Doyle to frustrate Leicester in our next home game, would be great to hear the Leicester fans get on their teams backs after we spend the afternoon frustrating them :D

mikeskyblue

We are forgetting that for long long periods of the Portsmouth game they were just 'knocking' the ball around for long periods.
I am more than happy for opposition teams to keep the ball providing our goal is not under threat (as it isn't 30 yards out)

Users who are viewing this thread