Memo to Cllr Damian Gannon (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

Are you sure you have joined the right party?

All the best,

Labour Grass-roots

Philosorapter

Cannot help but think of the Billy Bragg song.

[video=youtube;VVEf9NefHAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVEf9NefHAo[/video]

Philosorapter

Extra points by the way if anyone spots similar arguments used by the National Rifle Association in America.

Maybe they should invest there, lucrative market.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

I am sure they could invest in slightly less controversial business if they wanted to.

Sky Blue Pete

Think his argument is absolutely fair. His responsibility as a member of the pension board is to maximise the fund. His responsibility as a councillor is to take a lead in the refugee crisis. Are these mutually exclusive or does doing the right thing in one area contradict doing the right thing in another. Yes it does! What do you do about that? Well for me this is his mistake. It's nonsense to say that investing in weapons of war isn't making the situation worse, it categorically does. But if this money wasn't invested it wouldn't stop arms being sold so in a sense it's not making the situation worse. He's not wrong to say some people don't care and he's dropped a bit of a bolloxk by saying they will change investments if large numbers of people wish them not to invest in arms firms.

Philosorapter

Have you ever thought of being a councillor?

Seriously starting to worry about the amount of powers these people will control over the people of Coventry if they have their way with devolution. I just don't think they're up to the task

Last edited:

shmmeee

Have you ever thought of being a councillor?

Seriously starting to worry about the amount of powers these people will control over the people of Coventry if they have their way with devolution. I just don't think they're up to the task

That's my worry with devolution. Look at the Yanks, half their judges and councilmen are elected unopposed because people don't care at that level. Corruption is rife.

That and the fact that is gives the government of the day a nice easy way to blame councils for all unpopular decisions.

On the other hand, it's probably the only power anyone but the Tories will get until 2025, so swings and roundabouts.

shmmeee

Think his argument is absolutely fair. His responsibility as a member of the pension board is to maximise the fund. His responsibility as a councillor is to take a lead in the refugee crisis. Are these mutually exclusive or does doing the right thing in one area contradict doing the right thing in another. Yes it does! What do you do about that? Well for me this is his mistake. It's nonsense to say that investing in weapons of war isn't making the situation worse, it categorically does. But if this money wasn't invested it wouldn't stop arms being sold so in a sense it's not making the situation worse. He's not wrong to say some people don't care and he's dropped a bit of a bolloxk by saying they will change investments if large numbers of people wish them not to invest in arms firms.

Divestment in their stock would cause the price to fall slightly, leading to less cash for the manufacturer and less guns or less marketing made for new markets. Tiny amounts, but many a muckle makes a mackle and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread