MESSI - is he really a football genius ??? (1 Viewer)

Just watched again what I consider to be a football genius, yes its that little man LIONEL MESSIE, in their win over Porto tonight.

This guy defies logic when you perceive a complete modern footballer to be tall, athletic have physical presence and what do we get - a little guy, stubby, frail stature BUT with absolute awesome skills not witnessed in the modern game for decades.

His attributes defy comprehension - two footed, jet heeled, low centre of gravity, creates chances, scores at will, endless stamina.............stop me I can go on

Reluctant as old boys are (me) to compare with yesteryear but surely he ranks up there with Pele, Best, Zidane, Cantona etc and in some aspects shades them because of his overall qualities which also include defensive duties and hold up play when necessary
Other attributes include rolling tackles, not making histioronics when inevitably fouled, and being a gentleman on and off the pitch.

I think we all should feel priveleged to be in an era where true genius reigns and where we have the media to watch every week this footballing phenomenom from sunny Spain.

PUSB

derbyskyblue

Yes the man is a genius.....although having a low centre of gravity always helps ! How much would he be worth? 150 million?

Ernie Machin

My flatmate (An Argie) reckons he's ridiculously good (natch), but he won't be given God like status in Argentina until he does well for the national team. He's been shocking for them, he doesn't seem to play well with anyone other than that ridiculously good Barca unit. It's not like he's short of great players to play with Argentina either, it's just not working for him at the international level. He reckons that Tevez is much more loved there.

So yeah, it's evident he's fucking brilliant, but he doesn't have the mad genius that Maradona had, the kind of genius that could take solid (but not great) teams to World Cups and Serie A titles. Yet. Still only 24 and he may well be G.O.A.T by the time he retires.

rob9872

What I don't understand is that him, and all the other quality foootballers on the continent are so rarely injured. Are they too good that they ride the tackles? In England surely a Keane, a Savage, Wise etc etc would be detailed to kick lumps out of them but that never seems to happen.

Marty

This guy defies logic when you perceive a complete modern footballer to be tall, athletic have physical presence and what do we get - a little guy, stubby, frail stature BUT with absolute awesome skills not witnessed in the modern game for decades.

This is the problem with football now, all youth players are athletes they are trying to turn into footballers. Gael was spotted why running if the reports are true. wtf is that all about??? Most of the youth team coaches are only trying to further there own career and if that means having a bunch of 12 year olds who are fast and 6ft tall then so be it. So much talent is being wasted as the scouts/coaches are looking at the wrong players.

There was a match in La Liga not so long ago, where there wasn't an outfield player on the pitch over 5'10".

I think everybody knows my views on youth set ups/players by now so i won't bore you any further . :D

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Because of my age I have been privileged to witness some great players over the last few decades - Pele, Eusabio, Beckenbaur, Cruyff, Maradona, (dare I say it, Cantona!), Zidane and many, many others and have yet to be more amazed than when I watch Lionel Messi. He has got to be the greatest player of all time in my opinion. He is Guiness! (Pure Genius!)

Il Pirata

He needs to do something at international level. So far he is a massive chokeroo. There is also a theory that when he goes for a whizz he has Xavi and Iniesta holding his thing for him. I'm also not sure why Cantona is mentioned with legends. A player who did nothing outside of what was a mediocre PL at the time in comparison to today.

Ernie Machin

He's in an era where all his games are on TV, so we get to see everything he does. I still rate Maradona as No.1, but it's all subjective.

belgio_82.jpg

My top 5 that I've seen play.

1. Maradona
2. Proper Fat Ronaldo
3. Messi
4. Zidane
5. Van Basten

Marty

Ronaldo was immense, best player ever for me. Just think how good he could of been if he didn't get those injuries.

Covstu

he will become the best ever in my opinion, although he has a bloody good squad around him!!

Just watched again what I consider to be a football genius, yes its that little man LIONEL MESSIE, in their win over Porto tonight.

His attributes defy comprehension - two footed, jet heeled, low centre of gravity, creates chances, scores at will, endless stamina.............stop me I can go on

Reluctant as old boys are (me) to compare with yesteryear but surely he ranks up there with Pele, Best, Zidane, Cantona etc and in some aspects shades them because of his overall qualities which also include defensive duties and hold up play when necessary
Other attributes include rolling tackles, not making histioronics when inevitably fouled, and being a gentleman on and off the pitch.

I think we all should feel priveleged to be in an era where true genius reigns and where we have the media to watch every week this footballing phenomenom from sunny Spain.

PUSB

Had to ressurect this thread based on what MESSI did to Leverkusen the other night in scoring 5 goals all different all quality.

Any more converts or doubters that this man should be hailed as possibly the greatest footballer of all time ???

PUSB

SkyBlueScottie

Watching him this past week and seeing his scoop finishes made me realise how hard he must to be play against. His body shape was the same each time yet different feet were used and all with hardly any back lift, the keeper just didnt have a clue where the ball was going.

scroobiustom

Zidane for me by far, Messi is so good but the ability to dictate the game without even running at times, just an artist.

The film about Zidane on BBC4 was very good, just loads of cameras watching him for 90 mins, class!

ajsccfc

If we were to discount players who surrounded themselves with quality teammates, the best player in history would be Matt Le Tissier.

Being 17 I didn't get to see greats like Pele, Maradona and Cruyff but my top 5 would be:

1) Messi (by a long way)
2) Zidane
3) Fat Ronaldo
4) Ronaldinho
5) Figo

Paxman II

Hmm. Well he has failed at international level really and currently plays in the best club side in the world who face inferior opposition week in week out.
Have you ever seen him head a goal? he's really good no doubt but the best ever? No.
At the moment I'd put Ronaldo ahead of him at real Madrid. has scored for fun at international level, premier league and in Spain. His skill is equal to Messi in many ways but is a slightly different player. As with the great Zidane, Ronaldo can score with headers like a season centre forward or with a clever chip like Messi. i just think Ronaldo tips the scales for me as the best all round player.
A game of opinions though isn't it? But I do make my own mind up not have it done by a frenzied media.
Zidane for me was the most complete 'footballer'. i'd certainly place Messi in the top 5 but caution that by a request to see him do it at International level and in the Premier league.

Covstu

I am sorry, messi is the bestplayer in the world no doubt and probably the best of all time

SkyBlueScottie

Hmm. Well he has failed at international level really and currently plays in the best club side in the world who face inferior opposition week in week out.
Have you ever seen him head a goal? he's really good no doubt but the best ever? No.
At the moment I'd put Ronaldo ahead of him at real Madrid. has scored for fun at international level, premier league and in Spain. His skill is equal to Messi in many ways but is a slightly different player. As with the great Zidane, Ronaldo can score with headers like a season centre forward or with a clever chip like Messi. i just think Ronaldo tips the scales for me as the best all round player.
A game of opinions though isn't it? But I do make my own mind up not have it done by a frenzied media.
Zidane for me was the most complete 'footballer'. i'd certainly place Messi in the top 5 but caution that by a request to see him do it at International level and in the Premier league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRAUglFEJqo&feature=related

Ronaldo 32 goals in 88 appearances for Portugal
Messi 22 goals in 67 appearances for Argentina. Tevez has 13 in 59. Aguero has 14 in 33.... not so much of a failure in my opinion. He is of course under huge expectation when playing for Argentina. Maradona's scored 34 in 91.

cornoccfc

Overrated, looks better because of the players around him.

Don't rate la liga either, and in Europe teams tippy-toe around him.

Sutty

Overrated, looks better because of the players around him.

Don't rate la liga either, and in Europe teams tippy-toe around him.

Didn't watch Bilbao the other night then?

Still don't understand why the Premier League is considered as a bench mark where players need to prove themselves before they can be considered as good players.

La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, all piss over the Premier League at the moment.

Real

When people say he's surrounded by great players, they should perhaps consider that this is true, but he is the best player in a team of great players.

I'd also like to add that seeing the likes of Messi, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo etc in their pomp, this is why I laugh and shake my head when I hear Wayne Rooney is world class. He's nowhere near world class.

ICHAN

Did anyone see the programme about Messi after the game?
They were all saying what a level headed guy he is as well as being an absolute genius, just think, at 24 he has not even got near his best yet, scary really to think how great he will get.

Paxman II

The generations see things differently.
There's no doubt a player comes along who ignites the touch paper and we all start claiming the best ever.

It's better I think to just put these guys in a bracket all to themselves. What order they come in is pure personal opinion.

I've seen some glorious footballers in my time and as a kid they probably seemed better to me than what I would have thought now but none the less here's the ones I can refect upon as being 'great' players:

PELE
MARADONA
BEST
MESSI
CHRISTIANO RONALDO
PAUL GASCOIGNE
ZIDANE
CHARLTON
BECKANBEAUR
BOBBY MOORE
BERGCAMP
CRUYFF

Each one World Class,exceptional in their talent and i don't think it needs to be strikers and midfielders only!

Users who are viewing this thread