Mike Ashley Takeover …Ready and Waiting (2 Viewers)

Grendel

There are at least half a dozen (albeit some serve the airport as much as the NEC)

When we had motor shows and overseas guests we tended to book then into Stratford and bus people in. Agency staff wiukd be the only ones you’d dump in tbe holiday inn or metropole - I just can’t see many visitors at events stopping in the arena at all

Skyblueweeman

I bow to your knowledge of the industry, but with that being the case why hasn't it happened?

There are two proposals for a hotel with planning permission in the immediate vicinity:

Rowleys Green Lane: Coventry City Council: Planning Application Details (74 bedroom budget looking hotel - permission applied for originally in 2019 but not granted until October 2021, so perhaps economic downturn is the reason?)

Car Park C: Coventry City Council: Planning Application Details (150 room hotel - granted permission applied for in 2020 and granted permission October 2020)

Honestly, don't know to be honest. Vested interest in the existing hotel stock and not wanting to upset the apple cart??

A simple example to further explain my points though. I used to work for a hotel in West Susssex who had meeting space for events for up to 500 ppl but we could only accommodate 150 in bedrooms so either missed out on larger events or had to share bedrooms with other local hotels which isn't ideal for companies running events as they normally want everyone under one roof.

fernandopartridge

When we had motor shows and overseas guests we tended to book then into Stratford and bus people in. Agency staff wiukd be the only ones you’d dump in tbe holiday inn or metropole - I just can’t see many visitors at events stopping in the arena at all

Yeah, fair point. It has comparatively few night time events in any case, in the middle of the country most people more than happy to travel home if something finishes at 5pm

Skyblueweeman

How many hotels does the NEC actually have - there’s a couple but it doesn’t seem that many

I don't the boundaries of the NEC but I know the Hilton Birmingham Met has about 740 bedrooms. You've also got the Genting Arena Hotel, Crowne Plaza, HGI Birm Airport and the HI Express NEC. Probably between 1,500-2000 bedrooms between them I'd guess?

With twins, I'd imagine 3-3.5k beds? Compare that to the DTbH at the Arena...much different.

Any new hotels built (in the UK anyway) typically have zip and link beds now. So they can be a large double bed or you can separate them into two singles as a twin room. Doubles your occupancy potential.

wingy

Yeah that was one of the more premium events on the calendar though.
There are so maybe that cater the sole traders and SME's

Skyblueweeman

Yeah :)

She turned down planning for a hotel and drive through by the ricoh without letting it go to vote because she said it would take custom from the city centre.

Your honour, I rest my case :)

Maybe a case of the protecting the city centre hotels but given the potential for the Arena, it would make sense to add another hotel on.

Skyblueweeman

Depends on the event I guess. If it's a multi-day event and your attendees aren't all local, you're going to need beds somewhere.

There's definitely not enough rooms in the DTbH at the Arena to service the size of the events they have.

Nick

Administrator
Perhaps the regeneration or the Judds Lane area, scrap yard and stuff is part of the deal? How big a hotel could be built on that bit alone, plus maybe a new outlet shop and a couple of bars. It’s all just a bit sad looking around there. Just a thought.

He would need to buy that land though wouldn't he?

Plus it takes the piss a bit if he strolls in and gets planning when the people who tried before get rejected ;)

chiefdave

Does it really tho?

But let's say he wanted to knock it down. He would have paid for the arena and then the demolition costs and then construction costs. If he can then build something there that is then more valuable than the cost of those things then on paper they are then in profit. Especially if they then have businesses there that create healthy profits.
Like what? Not warehousing. There's loads of that stood empty in the city he could move into tomorrow if he wanted to. More shops? They seem to struggle to let the ones already there, regularly empty units.

The only possible thing is housing, does Ashely have any track record of housing development? Would seem an odd route to take, there would be huge opposition.

Nick

Administrator
The hotel Nick is talking about got permission in the end, it just took 18 months compared to less than 3 to approve the one Wasps applied for

Ah, can see they went back with it modified and saying planners were being cunts.

Edit, yeah they got it later

Guess the landowner will be ringing up Mike Ashley ;)

wingy

Like what? Not warehousing. There's loads of that stood empty in the city he could move into tomorrow if he wanted to. More shops? They seem to struggle to let the ones already there, regularly empty units.

The only possible thing is housing, does Ashely have any track record of housing development? Would seem an odd route to take, there would be huge opposition.
Supposedly housing not possible.due to contaminants present.

Grendel

Yes but a stadium for millions, pay millions to knock it down - than build some cheap housing on a brownfield site

What a genius plan

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Where’s all of the knock the stadium down rumours come from??? They are aware he only owns the compny with the lease right? They know he can’t just knock it down

shmmeee

Yeah :)

She turned down planning for a hotel and drive through by the ricoh without letting it go to vote because she said it would take custom from the city centre.

That isn’t actually true is it?

Here’s the original decision:

Here’s the appeal decision where planning was granted:

And here’s the decision notice for the subsequent application for the same thing that that was granted: http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=1630993

Flying Fokker

The amount of new warehouses being within a 15 mile radius of Cov is surprising. Surely organisations could reduce product lines to negate the reason for putting these places up?

shmmeee

That isn’t actually true is it?

Here’s the original decision:

Here’s the appeal decision where planning was granted:

And here’s the decision notice for the subsequent application for the same thing that that was granted: http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=1630993

Didn’t realise others had posted. In my defence I was using SBT with no CSS. Was like browsing Luton’s forum.

AOM

New accounts should be limited to a single dedicated thread for 6 weeks. Detailing who everyone on here is and all the running jokes, before being allowed to play in the big threads.

A required minimum of 2 Office gifs and full workings shown on who is better out of Biamou and Bakayoko

MalcSB

I bow to your knowledge of the industry, but with that being the case why hasn't it happened?

There are two proposals for a hotel with planning permission in the immediate vicinity:

Rowleys Green Lane: Coventry City Council: Planning Application Details (74 bedroom budget looking hotel - permission applied for originally in 2019 but not granted until October 2021, so perhaps economic downturn is the reason?)

Car Park C: Coventry City Council: Planning Application Details (150 room hotel - granted permission applied for in 2020 and granted permission October 2020)

The car park C was the one Derek Richardson was going to build, wasn’t it? If that was the case, is there a need to say any more?

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Is it more levelled? The common complaint is that parachute payments make it harder than ever for teams like us to achieve promotion. And I’m not sure what you mean by “relatively low wages” - who was the last team to go up on a “relatively low” wage bill?
Blackpool I think really low

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

How much developable land is there around the stadium? Cannot develop the car parks as protected by planning permissions and their loss would create more local parking problems. Not sure there is loads of space and Ashley/Sports Direct only builds crappy warehouse sheds. More out of town retail will impact hard on town centre too. I think he has eyes on the CCFC but willing to bide his time or maybe bring Duggy King on board as a partner.... total guesswork though.
Land between Tesco/shops and railway. Scrapyards etc that were all supposed to be relocated

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Otis Is it t-shirts now ,outside the court yesterday saw loads of them alright one or two_One showed Joy skipping away from the CBS alla Eric Morecambe style swinging her handbag with readies in it.There was another one Mike Ashley in a tight fitting city shirt showing his midriff and Doug King at the CBS hands held aloft.You obviously borrowed the shirt from the shop and they hadn't got his size so you must know then quite well so I presume they would sell them in there.I know Mike so we can get them into Fraser's well he'll remember me i'm sure .He thanked me for cleaning the birdshit off his Roller with the sleeve of my city shirt when he came out yesterday.I will want a bit of commision , but shoud leave you quids in.

fernandopartridge

Has he passed his SBT membership test? He gives the tests
928f4f27440602eb4c2ed7042f01310d.gif

Users who are viewing this thread