Missing piece of the jigsaw (1 Viewer)

Flying Fokker

I’d go for Garry Thompson, so much potential. He’s be the same as some of the guys we have at the moment. Nardiello could be Ayari.

It’s a different game now. The whole squad would probably be exactly where we are now Championship top 8. How many subs? 1 or was it 2? The pace is faster now. I’m not sure Wallace and Ferguson would have scored as many in today’s game. Who knows?

blunted

Found the 500th piece last night. For those of us of a certain age this was the most exciting team we saw in Sky Blue. Hutch, Ian Wallace, Fergie, Garry Thompson, Terry Yorath, Steve Hunt, Bobby Mac, Graham Oakey, Jim Blyth, Garry Gillespie, Paul Dyson. Memories of the 5-4 v Norwich, beating Liverpool 1-0 at home, Fergie scoring 4 against Bobby Robson's Ipswich; never forgave them for beating Arsenal in 78; imagine Fergie and Wallace terrorising European defences ?!

View attachment 34324
The stupidity of selling Yorath as he had too much influence in the dressing room.

Theonlywayisskyblue

Some interesting youth names on there along with those youth and senior that didn't make it - whatever happened to Liam Kennedy, Steven Russell, Clive Haywood, John McFarland, Michael Lynch and of course and Gary Collier

ccfcno9

Tommy Hutchison my favourite all time player for Coventry then possibly Hateley not for what he did for us but for what he did afterwards

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd go Hutch, not just because he was a great player but in this team we're missing those wide forwards.

Yorath would be good as we need a leader and someone to get a bit nasty.

JimmyHillsbeard

I’d go for Garry Thompson, so much potential. He’s be the same as some of the guys we have at the moment. Nardiello could be Ayari.

It’s a different game now. The whole squad would probably be exactly where we are now Championship top 8. How many subs? 1 or was it 2? The pace is faster now. I’m not sure Wallace and Ferguson would have scored as many in today’s game. Who knows?

Agree. Garry Thompson would have been a superstar in the Prem-era game and an England regular.

HadjiChippo

Tommy Hutchison the best player ever to pull on a sky blue shirt. Criminally sold too early to Man City where he helped them get to Wembley in the FA cup and scored at both ends. Came back for a testimonial when he was really old and was still the best player on the pitch.
I Was way too young to ever see him play for us in his prime, but remember him starring in the Micky Gynn Testimonial in ‘05 and thinking what a fucking player he must’ve been. Still looked absolutely class nearing 60.

Bidda

Btw, who is the city player behind David Johnson? Looks like the face has been photoshopped.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Was thinking Glazier probably never had to use his feet, but would probably stand out in every other area like handling and fitness isn’t as much of an issue plus he’d probably get more protection. Whereas would Hutch be like Palmer in that he’s clearly got talent but maybe couldn’t last a full game? As I say I never saw the players so could be well off.
Hutch took so many tackles that would be straight reds these days and just carried on.

The thought that he couldn’t last a full game is about as far wrong as it’s possible to be.

Jarvo87

Great post and whilst fun, not worth trying to compare eras in my view, as the game is vastly different then and now. I agree with the OP, I missed the rise of the club in the JH management era by a year or two, so this is a team of idols to a youngish lad at the time. Some of my best personal memories wrapped up in that team and those years…..

Users who are viewing this thread