Most goals by of City player in first team match (1 Viewer)

LincolnNick

Dublin scored a hatrick against Sheffield Wednesday in a midweek televised game. We took the lead three times but in typical City fashion managed to lose 4-3.
I think the fastest hat trick I have ssen live was by Nigel Clough as he helped Forest come back from 4-0 down (Kevin Gallagher hat trick). He must have scored his 3 inside 10 minutes just before half time.
I also saw Fergie score 4 at home to Ipswich once. They put Ferguson 4 Ipswich 0 on the score board.
I remember the Wednesday game well as I took both kids on a bitter winter evening. The friendly gatemen said how good it was to see 2 young girls at a footie game. Unfortunately my young son was not best pleased with the comment. We absolutely murdered them in the first half and somehow went in at half time drawing. The home fans even booed them off the pitch despite drawing.
I also remember the 7-0 win in the FA cup vs Macclesfield when Huckerby scored a hat trick in the last 30 minutes. Probably the highest victory I have seen.

capel & collindridge

Didn’t Mick Ferguson score 4 goals against Ipswich way back? I am sure it said Ferguson 4 Ipswich 0 on the scoreboard at the end of the match, or have I just made that up?
He did. Wasn't there for that.

Blast From The Past: On This Day 1979: ‘Ferguson 4 Ipswich 1’ : Coventry City Former Players Association || CCFPA

But this link prompted the memory of probably the most goals I ever saw a City player score in one game: Jimmy Rogers getting 4 against Aldershot in 1958. The year my parents moved us away from Coventry.

Brighton Sky Blue

As a kid at Highfield Road we used to click our wooden rattles when we scored,the adults mainly just clapped. Then when I got older and went in the West End after a goal we went a bit nuts, and often end up on the deck !

When did fans start going 'yeaaaahhhhh!'?

fernandopartridge

I always remember this Speedie hattrick where he still ended up on the losing side because of Bernie Slaven's hattrick and a young Stuart Ripley tearing us a new one.

There are two versions of Martin Tyler's commentary for that, it's definitely slightly different one of the old Cov tapes from the 90s

fernandopartridge

Speedie & Ndlovu to add to the list. I imagine Dion too and can remember plenty of braces but I can't recall any hat tricks. Does anyone know if he did?

That tosser Lee Hughes I remember at Crewe getting 3 (barely any more after) out of 6 I think although if memory serves 2 were pens. I also remember Jan Molby scoring 3 against us that were all penalties.
Dublin got a hattrick v Sheffield Wed we lost 4-3 and against Chelsea 3-2 win

no_loyalty

McSheffrey scored three in the 8-0 demolition of Rushden & Diamonds.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

How come? He had Greg Downs before Edwards! 😁

Poor Greggie Downs, he always cops flack...

As I recall, Paul Edwards made Greg Downs look like Marcelo.

Also, Downs wasn't the only left back we used in the 1987-8, 1988-90 seasons (he only played 27 and 20 league games in these seasons, Smith played 13 and 34).

Londonccfcfan

Dublin scored a hatrick against Sheffield Wednesday in a midweek televised game. We took the lead three times but in typical City fashion managed to lose 4-3.
I think the fastest hat trick I have ssen live was by Nigel Clough as he helped Forest come back from 4-0 down (Kevin Gallagher hat trick). He must have scored his 3 inside 10 minutes just before half time.
I also saw Fergie score 4 at home to Ipswich once. They put Ferguson 4 Ipswich 0 on the score board.

The fastest hatrick i seen in recent times.

Jacob Murphy's hatrick vs Gillingham. To go top of league 1. In 10 first half mins.

Adge

Poor Greggie Downs, he always cops flack...

As I recall, Paul Edwards made Greg Downs look like Marcelo.

Also, Downs wasn't the only left back we used in the 1987-8, 1988-90 seasons (he only played 27 and 20 league games in these seasons, Smith played 13 and 34).
Dobson must have played around then I guess aswell.

LincolnNick

I like the way Smith confuses Paul Kerr for the second goal - ball one side of Kerr and Smith the other - Kerr is rooted to the spot.
I remember having a debate with my West Ham supporting mate on who between Smith and Paul Ince was the better prospect. At the time I really thought Smith was going to be the man. Well one went to Milan the other to Grimsby so proves what I know. I still believe as a 20 year old Smith had massive potential but for some reason it never happened.

Irish Sky Blue

Micky Quinn scored the first ever opening day hat-trick in the history of the premier league in 1993 against Arsenal. Dion Dublin also had an opening day hat-trick against Chelsea in 97. It’s a very elite club the club of opening day hat-tricks in the premier league, only 9 players IIRC and two are Sky Blue.
David Cross scored two hat tricks in one season. The first was on the opening day of the season in a 4-1 win at Everton, I was at that game. I missed his second hat trick which was on the last day of the season away at Burnley, another win.

Johhny Blue

David Cross scored two hat tricks in one season. The first was on the opening day of the season in a 4-1 win at Everton, I was at that game. I missed his second hat trick which was on the last day of the season away at Burnley, another win.
Weren’t we two up in 4 mins at that Everton game? (Alderson?)

Users who are viewing this thread