Most terrible game ive seen in a while!! (1 Viewer)

skybluenewman

No passion, no drive, no off the ball movement, constant missed passes, defenders hoofing the ball up the field.

Subs changed the game who actually ran at scunny's defence.

One positive Burge played a lot better than usual

SlowerThanPlatt

Robins did a job on us today, simple. Every time Fleck was on the ball the big Scunthorpe striker was all over him.

Mowbray said after the game 'they never let us play'...well unless they forced us off the pitch they shouldn't have stopped our game completely (no shots on target).

magic82ball

I really hope I'm wrong on burge. Only listened on player but sounded as though he made some decent saves from the commentary.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Kingokings204

Got back from the game a bit ago now and it really was bad today. Not having a go but we simply didn't turn up. I don't believe scunthorpe were that good at all we just was not up for a fight and the less skillful team won due to working hard and tactically good.

We shouldn't be too hard on ourselves but today is a complete write off for me. No positives that I saw and was dross from minute one to minute 97.

We did have a 5-10 minute spell where we looked better but Kent did nothing when came on harsh but true and we have to just hold our hands up today and congratulate mark robins and his team. They are not a good side and won't finish top half imo but today they did the business and that's football.

Evo1883

Sorry PVA the game against preston last season will take quite some beating ..and crewe away .. so no ..not as bad as anything served under pressley

I went to the pre-season game vs Oxford played at Nuneaton where we were awful and hardly had an attack. Today's game was a carbon copy of that performance so I looked at who played against Oxford that day and noticed that Job was missing through illness, the same as today. Feel we really miss his non stop running and chasing down. Scunthorpe were put under very little pressure when they had the ball.

Gint11

Yep we didn't turn up today. Back 4 solid but nothing from the creative forward thinking players. Slow on the ball and gave it away. Scunny are a poor outfit. Bad day at the office, still 4th we go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryAnt

Got back from the game a bit ago now and it really was bad today. Not having a go but we simply didn't turn up. I don't believe scunthorpe were that good at all we just was not up for a fight and the less skillful team won due to working hard and tactically good.

We shouldn't be too hard on ourselves but today is a complete write off for me. No positives that I saw and was dross from minute one to minute 97.

We did have a 5-10 minute spell where we looked better but Kent did nothing when came on harsh but true and we have to just hold our hands up today and congratulate mark robins and his team. They are not a good side and won't finish top half imo but today they did the business and that's football.

Spoke to a Scunny fan after the game (was working sadly so couldn't go). He basically said that we never got going and if we had, we'd have thumped them. From the small bits of the raido, his views and what everyone is saying on here, does sound a bit like we just didn't turn up. Oh well, onto the next game.

Kingokings204

Spoke to a Scunny fan after the game (was working sadly so couldn't go). He basically said that we never got going and if we had, we'd have thumped them. From the small bits of the raido, his views and what everyone is saying on here, does sound a bit like we just didn't turn up. Oh well, onto the next game.

Yes scunthorpe weren't great but were better today through hard work and a will of wanting to win. Mowbray as ccfc recognizes it was poor today and as you correctly say today is done and it's next week chesterfield we need to concentrate on and a win and nothing less.

oscillatewildly

Didn't go, didn't tune in (family gathering) suffice to say from what I've heard we'll be very fortunate to finish 6th place after a performance of that calibre, against opposition of that calibre. Just an observation and a reality check for anyone (myself included a couple of weeks ago) who might have thought we would cake walk the top six.

Sick Boy

In my opinion we are probably a season too early for promotion. We need to be aiming for the top 2 rather than the play offs. A top 6 finish is a real possibility but a strong top 10 finish would be encouraging progress.

Esoterica

Lameiras, Armstrong, Murphy, Kent, G Thomas, Maddison don't have 100 senior starts between them. Always gonna get the occasional away games like today where they just don't get going against a hard working motivated home team. Chalk it up to experience and move on!

oxymoron

can't help but think it was the formation that cost us. admittedly i didn't go, so this is all with a huge pinch of salt, but tudgay isn't a number 10, even if nominally asked to play there. not really sure why we went with the two up top, especially away from home. sounded as though as soon as kent came on, our shape was a lot better, and we carved out some half openings by gaining a little more control.

i assume TM made the decision not to start kent because of his lack of training, which is absolutely fair, but i'd expect him to go back to a more orthodox 4-2-3-1 next week

sw88

Chief Commentator!
It was pretty poor overall. Was like the old City where we didn't really try to get an equaliser until it was too late when we had a few positive attacks.

Too many players failed to turn up for this fixture.

Think many called for Tudgay to keep his place but it was clear early on that it wasn't going to work with the system we wanted to play and I think things needed changing a lot earlier than they actually were.

I know it's rare in a game to see a tactical sub in the first half but I think that's what we needed. If we weren't able to change our shape then we needed to change the personnel. Yes, Tudgay would have probably gone in a strop if it was him who'd been sacrificed for the benefit of the team, but sometimes decisions like that have to be made. And they weren't.

Learning curve for TM in this league I think as it's probably the worst we've performed under him.

D

Deleted member 2477

I think one bonus is that we seem to be dending better as we arnt leaking 3 goals a game anymore

georgehudson

having travelled to Glanford Park for the 1st time, i can report that it a soulless tin shack, my marks for us;
Burge 7, much improved
Ricketts 8, a fine captain
Johnson 7, his on the ball strength is effective,
Stokes 7, solid enough
Vincelot 7, a battler, but overun on the day
Fleck 6, overun
Murphy 5, runs the risk of being considered uncomitted
Lameiras 5, out battled physically
Tudgay 4, didn't get going
Armstrong 5, had indifferent service
Kent 5, suffered from the incohesion of our front men
Fortune 6, showed glimpses of his ability
Thomas 6, perhaps needed more time on the pitch

Ref; A Haines 1, that's for turning up, his weak abysmal handling of the game did nothing for football, Scunny were wasting time from the 25th minute,
whilst realising we are in League 1 there is no excuse for the footballing authorities to continually appoint sub standard officials & he, Haines falls into the Evo Stick category

Warwickhunt

What gets to me is Scunthorpe stuck their striker onto Flecks back to prevent him playing which you either move Fleck further forward or you push your back line up to counter it! we still held our position although the defence played quite well it stifled our ability to attack and started to reverted to a long ball game (signs of frustration)

smileycov

Facebook User
My first game this season, was so disappointed. I disagree with some on here in regards Tudgay, thought he looked the only one up top who was getting about a bit. Passing was awful and they just did not get going at all. Scunthorpe deserved it today, though they were shite....still looked better than us. Burge played well to be fair. Defence was good, loved rickets Murphy had a shocker did not look interested from the off. At one point he stood and looked at the ball instead of running to it, schoolboy stuff!! Kent didn't have long enough to impress, had couple of awful shots though!! Personally i think we look better (based on highlights and reviews) with one up top and players playing behind. We will have off days, and that is what i am filling this one under, but i am not writing the season off based on that performance. I think we can be top half, 8-10 seems about right, however play like we have been before and a play off push is not out of reach. It is going to be up and down this season, no need to panic as yet. Sky blue army were in great voice.......shame the performance didn't match the support

skybluesam66

I expect a bounceback on saturday
I also expect JM to be back after around another 9 games or so, and in the meantime RK to develop further and at a pace (particularly at home)

13 points off 7 games
I think from the next 7 we may get another 10

14 games 23 points

we then have a run of 9 games where 6 are at home around the time JM will be back - and that is when we will really need to kick on to be in a good position by half way

would expect as a minimum at half way

23 games 38 points - which is top 6 form - and would allow us to kick on in the 2nd half of the season

We will have bad days like saturday - but fully expect a top 4 finish by the end of the season

Warwickhunt

I expect a bounceback on saturday
I also expect JM to be back after around another 9 games or so, and in the meantime RK to develop further and at a pace (particularly at home)

13 points off 7 games
I think from the next 7 we may get another 10

14 games 23 points

we then have a run of 9 games where 6 are at home around the time JM will be back - and that is when we will really need to kick on to be in a good position by half way

would expect as a minimum at half way

23 games 38 points - which is top 6 form - and would allow us to kick on in the 2nd half of the season

We will have bad days like saturday - but fully expect a top 4 finish by the end of the season
your Putting a lot of pressure on Maddison me old chum!

Houdi

I went to the pre-season game vs Oxford played at Nuneaton where we were awful and hardly had an attack. Today's game was a carbon copy of that performance so I looked at who played against Oxford that day and noticed that Job was missing through illness, the same as today. Feel we really miss his non stop running and chasing down. Scunthorpe were put under very little pressure when they had the ball.
Yes exactly as I thought except Oxford looked a better side than Scunthorpe. As in that game the only player who enhanced his reputation was Burge, although I thought Ricketts had a generally sound game.
From the outset we looked lacklustre , the ball retention was dreadful, and it was like the bad old days of Pressley. We sat far too deep, and Fleck who has had a great start to the season ended up sitting on our back 4. We seemed to take great delight in passing the ball square across our back 4, almost inviting trouble, and just passing the ball with no seeming actual purpose. From the outset we seemed happy to try and dig out a goalless draw, in the end we got what we deserved which was nothing.
We started the season playing fast attacking football, passing with a purpose, driving forward ,looking to take the game to the opposition, Saturday we did none of that. As people have said Murphy was anonymous ,and Lameiras although undoubtedly quite skilful was powderpuff and too easily bullied. Hopefully this was a just a bad day at the office and we can bounce back Saturday.

ecky

I thought murphy was lazy at burton and ineffective
Not sure what he brings to the side apart from pace but you need more than that in L1
Do we not have a plan B or C if teams have rumbled us?

Users who are viewing this thread