Mowbray comments on Maddison speculation (1 Viewer)

Littlewood CCFC

“I don’t know about it because I don’t ready speculation. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. He’s played 15 games in League One. He’s a good player and come back from injury so I have no concerns or worries about James Maddison. He should just concentrate on his football and bursting back on the scene.”

Any formal approaches?”

''No. We talk on a regular basis to clubs and I think every club in the Premier League is aware of good players.
Why would we want to sell our best players. We’re trying to get promotion. We don’t want to cut ourselves off at the knees.”

Funny how another article in a paper causes another Thread on him leaving the club, personally ill wait until it's confirmed he's leaving before discussing how much we should get for him/recalls or whatever.

Otis

“I don’t know about it because I don’t ready speculation. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. He’s played 15 games in League One. He’s a good player and come back from injury so I have no concerns or worries about James Maddison. He should just concentrate on his football and bursting back on the scene.”

Any formal approaches?”

''No. We talk on a regular basis to clubs and I think every club in the Premier League is aware of good players.
Why would we want to sell our best players. We’re trying to get promotion. We don’t want to cut ourselves off at the knees.”

Funny how another article in a paper causes another Thread on him leaving the club, personally ill wait until it's confirmed he's leaving before discussing how much we should get for him/recalls or whatever.

But this is pretty much exactly what all managers say. Doesn't mean we won't sell him.

rupert_bear

But who is really going to spend umpteen millions on a kid just back from a serious injury and has only played 15 games ? Think any transfer for Maddison is a long way off.

mechaishida

Spurs want him, Pleat has been to scout him umpteen times, even Pochettino has stated his desire to sign Madders.

A few under-par performances aren't going to dissuade them, they know what the boy is capable of and they know he can be moulded into an almost perfect attacking midfielder/second striker.

He's going, it's a case of when.

Littlewood CCFC

Spurs want him, Pleat has been to scout him umpteen times, even Pochettino has stated his desire to sign Madders.

A few under-par performances aren't going to dissuade them, they know what the boy is capable of and they know he can be moulded into an almost perfect attacking midfielder/second striker.

We will see. Can you send a link where you found Pochettino state he wanted Maddison please?

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Did Pochettino actually comment though? Or state his name? I didn't read the article so could be wrong but a lot of the time newspaper article are written without substance or quotes

Littlewood CCFC

Did Pochettino actually comment though? Or state his name? I didn't read the article so could be wrong but a lot of the time newspaper article are written without substance or quotes

He hasn't no, this is why until something concrete is announced i aint really worried he will be sold this season. we should just enjoy watching him while he's here!

derbyskyblue

I think we can all agree maddison will leave sometime. The best we can hope for is a decent fee and the money or at least a substantial part of it given back to strengthen the team....oh and a loan back till the end of the season .....maybe even next season as well. Fingers toes and anything else crossed as well.

Macca

Seriously if someone spends mega bucks on him after less than 20 Sunday league games then the football world truly has gone mad

Brylowes

But who is really going to spend umpteen millions on a kid just back from a serious injury and has only played 15 games ? Think any transfer for Maddison is a long way off.
The premier league is awash with cash-of course it's worth the gamble. If he doesn't become the player we think he will
well they still have the player to sell on .If he does they have a top match-winning player for many years to come & with
massive sell-on potential

mechaishida

The premier league is awash with cash-of course it's worth the gamble. If he doesn't become the player we think he will
well they still have the player to sell on .If he does they have a top match-winning player for many years to come & with
massive sell-on potential

Exactly, experience doesn't always equate to quality, and Madders fits that category. If a top side can see burning talent in a player, they'll take the gamble.

Once he's theirs, they don't mind loaning him back for some game-time, and when he's back, they can mould him into anything they want. They'll sign him, without doubt, but perhaps they'll wait for the summer.

Brylowes

Exactly, experience doesn't always equate to quality, and Madders fits that category. If a top side can see burning talent in a player, they'll take the gamble.

Once he's theirs, they don't mind loaning him back for some game-time, and when he's back, they can mould him into anything they want. They'll sign him, without doubt, but perhaps they'll wait for the summer.
Also the the thought that these scouts are playing some sort of ( pin the tail on the donkey ) they are top scouts at top clubs for a reason. They know exactly what they are looking for & are trusted to find it.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Seriously if someone spends mega bucks on him after less than 20 Sunday league games then the football world truly has gone mad

Anythings possible! Football world is a bizarre place in recent years.

That said, if a sensible offer came in, he would be replaceable IMO.

Don't get me wrong it's nice seeing home grown players in the first team, and it is far too soon for him to even think about moving, but if the right offer came in, I think people would grumble and the 'selling club' tag would reappear, but right now we have the best possible person at the helm who would spend such cash, and I'm confident Mowbray would do the business!

Astute

I think he will go for 5m plus add-ons. It all depends on how much TM values at.

bawtryneal

Its all bollox, everybody is playing the game

Same story regurgitating around the press

I think we will sell him in the summer and try hard to keep him on a season long loan. If we get 5million will be a great result for CCFC

Astute

I think we will sell him in the summer and try hard to keep him on a season long loan. If we get 5million will be a great result for CCFC

It will only be good news for CCFC if at least half of any fee went back into the squad.

Brylowes

When we sell . The price will depend on how much we value our prized asset Saints always seemed to get top dollar for Bale Wallcot Chamberlain etc. We need to make sure we get every possible penny. With Willson it seems we couldn't get him out the door quick enough

standupforcity

'Why would we want to sell our best players. We’re trying to get promotion. We don’t want to cut ourselves off at the knees.'
Indeed!!

Skyblueweeman

'Why would we want to sell our best players. We’re trying to get promotion. We don’t want to cut ourselves off at the knees.'
Indeed!!

Man Utd try to win the Champions League.
Man Utd sell Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid.
Real Madrid are one of Man Utds biggest rivals for said trophy.

It happens, get over it!

Astute

Man Utd try to win the Champions League.
Man Utd sell Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid.
Real Madrid are one of Man Utds biggest rivals for said trophy.

It happens, get over it!

Spot on.

All clubs sell players. And the less money a club has the more they need to sell. But even the big clubs sell when a very big offer comes in. Or if a player is coming to the end of his contract and won't sign another one. And there isn't a club in our division that wouldn't turn down a big offer.

Brylowes

Spot on.

All clubs sell players. And the less money a club has the more they need to sell. But even the big clubs sell when a very big offer comes in. Or if a player is coming to the end of his contract and won't sign another one. And there isn't a club in our division that wouldn't turn down a big offer.
This is very true but the financial position of a club (even if it doesn't have much)has a bearing on the fee received.
If as were told we are self-sufficient we don't need to be panicked into grasping the first offer. I'm also confident TM will do all he can to ensure the best deal for CCFC.

H

Huckerby

This is very true but the financial position of a club (even if it doesn't have much)has a bearing on the fee received.
If as were told we are self-sufficient we don't need to be panicked into grasping the first offer. I'm also confident TM will do all he can to ensure the best deal for CCFC.
Noone wants or thinks we should grasp the first offer.

Being self sufficient means we can run on a 2mil budget or whatever it was and break even. This won't do in the championship. I know we will hopefully have higher attendances and more money from TV rights but it's a league full of gamblers spending way above their means and if we want to stay up in our first season I very much doubt we will be breaking even without a hefty windfall

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Brylowes

Noone wants or thinks we should grasp the first offer.

Being self sufficient means we can run on a 2mil budget or whatever it was and break even. This won't do in the championship. I know we will hopefully have higher attendances and more money from TV rights but it's a league full of gamblers spending way above their means and if we want to stay up in our first season I very much doubt we will be breaking even without a hefty windfall

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
And this is where selling young home-grown talent becomes essential to further future growth. All I'm saying is that hopefully we are now in a better position to get the best possible deal for the club. How many times in the past have we lost players for nothing because contracts have been neglected and allowed to run down. Or taking offers (that most accept)were below market value because it seems we had no one at the club who had a clue what they were doing.

stevefloyd

If the money that was offered to any club was more than they could make using said player I think anyone would take it even for Messi etc

Users who are viewing this thread