Mowbray Interview (1 Viewer)

Astute

Not sure he is pure quality. I'd like him to stay but there are questions as to whether he's the man to move us forward.
- Shocking home record
- shocking record against teams in and around us
- lack of performance in a couple of really huge games (granted we turned up today)
- no width
- pushing full backs who can't cross into positions where they need to
- playing a big man up front and not playing to his strengths
- worrying lack of pace at the top end

i think he deserves a shot and has done many good things but the above list worries me and we should greet his (hopefully) impending appointment with positivity rather than euphoria.

When he took over we were in a relegation spot with a poor squad. Hardly a decent player anywhere. We ended up in 17th and 5 points plus GD between us and the bottom 4. What more did you expect? Many were saying that no manager could save us. No width? So what players did he have that would fit into a team using width?

Well done and thanks TM. I hope you get the chance to show us all what you can do. You took a relegation side and made them into a top 10 form side. You showed SP how it should be done :p

Gazolba

From SISU's point of view, attendances have dropped under Mowbray which means income has dropped. Yes we have stayed up but where is the income coming from to improve the team? SISU have already stated the club must be self-supporting. I cannot see any 'investment' coming, can just see playing squad expenses being cut and assets sold. SISU would really have to do an about-face for anything to change and there has been no inkling of that happening during their tenure.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

From SISU's point of view, attendances have dropped under Mowbray which means income has dropped. Yes we have stayed up but where is the income coming from to improve the team? SISU have already stated the club must be self-supporting. I cannot see any 'investment' coming, can just see playing squad expenses being cut and assets sold. SISU would really have to do an about-face for anything to change and there has been no inkling of that happening during their tenure.

Given the prospect of playing in an orange ground next season I suspect they will need to retain Mowbray to get any semblance of a respectable attendance.

Astute

Most of the useless players will be gone as they were loans or will be out of contract. Our income will be bigger than most. This is a poor division. Chesterfield made it into the top 6 by 4 points and the 5th best GD. They had an average attendance of 6,802. Our average was 9,120 and the 6th best. And that was after starting in Northampton. We were only 35 behind MK who were 5th and finished 2nd.

Bill Glazier

My lad and I haven't had a season ticket for years but we've agreed today that we'll get them next season IF TM stays and is given some resources.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Most of the useless players will be gone as they were loans or will be out of contract. Our income will be bigger than most. This is a poor division. Chesterfield made it into the top 6 by 4 points and the 5th best GD. They had an average attendance of 6,802. Our average was 9,120 and the 6th best. And that was after starting in Northampton. We were only 35 behind MK who were 5th and finished 2nd.

Its embarrassing looking at some of the clubs who averaged higher than us this season.

Paxman II

My lad and I haven't had a season ticket for years but we've agreed today that we'll get them next season IF TM stays and is given some resources.

That's exactly my point earlier. I think 90% of fans would feel the same. TM did us proud having come in at the deep end and with what he had in the squad to work with. This nonsense about what he did and width and players out of position nonsense is irrelevant to the task he had before him. What TM does going forward given investment is what matters and I think all of us would agree we want to see that. At this level TM is quality for sure.

RFC

Absolutely. We already lost Robins because he couldn't get the assurances he wanted.

Don't let that happen with Mowbray Joy! It's in your hands. He's given you his cards, now give him what he wants.

We actually lost Robins because they 'Trebled' his wages, no brainer I'd have gone too!

wingy

Its embarrassing looking at some of the clubs who averaged higher than us this season.
Yep
Highlights the Inadequacies of Pressley when comparing to Paul Cook and Graham Alexander
But then there are big Issues around our club that those two don't have to contend with
Then you have to consider the quality above him
OMG

stupot07

The ironic thing is, ours and Chesterfield turnovers will be virtually identical despite us having 2k more fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chinamans view

This was SP team and all the faults on your list are his ,not TM s TM has done a fantastic job with all the rubbish he took over to keep us in this league.
Not sure he is pure quality. I'd like him to stay but there are questions as to whether he's the man to move us forward.
- Shocking home record
- lack of performance in a couple of really huge games (granted we turned up today)
- no width

i think he deserves a shot and has done many good things but the above list worries me and we should greet his (hopefully) impending appointment with positivity rather than euphoria.

KG7

That's exactly my point earlier. I think 90% of fans would feel the same. TM did us proud having come in at the deep end and with what he had in the squad to work with. This nonsense about what he did and width and players out of position nonsense is irrelevant to the task he had before him. What TM does going forward given investment is what matters and I think all of us would agree we want to see that. At this level TM is quality for sure.

Its not irrelevant. He's done a decent job (survival should have been wrapped up last week at the latest)but he did it this week so job done.

I hope he gets the job but there are things he needs to address in his own management, as highlighted above.

re width: O'Brien was a right winger at Barnsley and has supplied two excellent assists in the last two games. Odelusi is a left winger - he does have options but plays four midfielders centrally and a deep striker.

KG7

This was SP team and all the faults on your list are his ,not TM s TM has done a fantastic job with all the rubbish he took over to keep us in this league.

Let's not go overboard - he's done a decent job to keep us in the league - not fantastic.

He has only won once at home.
We lost key games to teams in and around us under his management.
We should have beaten Crewe last week (who were shite) but we didn't turn up.
he plays four central midfielders and no wingers

these are Mowbrays decisions and have nothing to do with SP.

Again, I think he should get the job and think we'd be a good bet for a top six finish with him at the helm BUT he has shown flashes of things that should strike a note of caution.

wingy

Let's not go overboard - he's done a decent job to keep us in the league - not fantastic.

He has only won once at home.
We lost key games to teams in and around us under his management.
We should have beaten Crewe last week (who were shite) but we didn't turn up.
he plays four central midfielders and no wingers

these are Mowbrays decisions and have nothing to do with SP.

Again, I think he should get the job and think we'd be a good bet for a top six finish with him at the helm BUT he has shown flashes of things that should strike a note of caution.
Fair points
Yet he's had to utilize someone else's players
Just one addition of his own
His use of Odelusi was minimal and Frank's best spell under him was through the middle
so mystified me when pushed out left

skybluefred

- Shocking home record
- no width

TM could only work with the tools available (notice I didn't say players) most of whom will not be here next season if TM gets the job.

J

Jack Griffin

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9835606/mowbray-uncertain-on-future

Mowbray uncertain on future
Tony Mowbray said he hoped to still be at Coventry next season after ensuring their survival with a 2-1 victory at Crawley Town.

Last Updated: 03/05/15 5:51pm

Tony Mowbray said he hoped to still be at Coventry next season after ensuring their survival with a 2-1 victory at Crawley Town.

Defeat at the Checkatrade.com stadium ended Crawley's three-year stay in League One, and there is also uncertainty over who will be in charge of them next season with Dean Saunders having taken over from John Gregory on an interim basis.

Crawley were given hope of beating the drop when striker Mathias Pogba headed them ahead just after the interval, but late goals from Marcus Tudgay and substitute James Maddison settled the issue.

Coventry went into the game only needing a point to be certain of staying up, and Mowbray admitted it would have been a "long way back" had the worse happened and they had been relegated.

He said: "Hopefully I'll be here next season but some things will have to change. Coventry are in the wrong league and rebuilding and restructuring need to begin now.

"The club deserves to be higher and we must aim to get out of this league as soon as possible.

"There will be conversations in the middle of the week and I'll speak to the owners.

"As a fresh pair of eyes coming into the club I've seem some things I like, but some things regarding the infrastructure can be improved."

Mowbray, who took over at the start of March, insisted there was no real cause for celebration, although he was delighted that City signed off with a win before 1,600 travelling fans.

He added: "There is a long way back from League Two as Portsmouth have showed. There is no celebration at staying in this league; the goal is to move into the Championship as soon as possible."

Saunders described the feeling of relegation as "sickening" coming as it did after his side's failure to win one of their last two games to clinch survival.

The Welshman felt losing at home was another "slap in the face" coming hard on the heels of the damaging 4-3 defeat at Peterborough the week before.

He admitted: "Losing at Peterborough was the biggest slap in the face I've ever had so this is sickening really.

"We got ourselves in a position where we needed one win from our last two games but we haven't got over the line.

"I'm absolutely gutted that we haven't done it, but losing Richard Wood and Anthony Wordsworth has cost us.

"Wood's recall to Rotherham decimated our defence and I've had to patch it up at the wrong time of the season."

Saunders revealed he will be speaking to the club on Tuesday regarding the future having taken charge just after Christmas from former Aston Villa boss Gregory, who stepped down due to medical reasons.

georgehudson

so, as not to overstate the bleeding obvious,
this must surely spell the immediate end for the charlatons,
Waggott & Fisher,

imho, they should be made to repay whatever monies they have been paid by CCFC
& whoever the secret investors are,
they surely must demand the immediate removal of TF & SW

sw88

Chief Commentator!
so, as not to overstate the bleeding obvious,
this must surely spell the immediate end for the charlatons,
Waggott & Fisher,

imho, they should be made to repay whatever monies they have been paid by CCFC
& whoever the secret investors are,
they surely must demand the immediate removal of TF & SW

Even though it was probably Waggott who brought Mowbray to the club?

georgehudson

yes perhaps SW might have had a hand in that, perhaps as a mark of desperation,
after his succession of abysmal transfer dealings,

Users who are viewing this thread