Mowbray, is he the right man ? (3 Viewers)

italiahorse

I read some posts on here and it makes me think some fans just want to be miserable old buggers. We have a decent manager, cheer up ffs

Still can't see it confirmed anywhere.
The club site would be first surely ?

mrbluesky87

I wanted Andy Thorn with Peter Reid as his number 2, I suppose you can't have everything, Mowbray will have to do:guitar2:

davebart

Steve Waggot has done well to get the board to pay for a senior manager for a change.

But we don't know what his brief will be.

Pressley was told to reduce the wage budget and lower the age of the squad. Both of which he did while generating money from sales to keep the club going.

It will be a massive turnaround if any money is put back into the playing squad but hopefully this appointment will be a precursor to that happening as well.

matesx

Mowbray isnt coming here to tread water

he must have had assurances on a decent budget to work with

Jackoskyblue

I just sense a change in the wind from sisu. Pressley mentioned the summer as being a positive one, now we are getting Mowbray in who deals with big budgets, and the fact the negotiations took all day yesterday I just get the sense he's had big assurances of investment and backing from sisu. Maybe next season is their last roll of the dice and they are all in ?

Manchester_sky_blue

Something must have changed because whether or not Mowbray does actually sign today this whole exercise has cost SISU money. If they genuinely didn't care if we stayed up or not they could have left Elvis in place or else sacked him to make a show of caring then appointing Hockaday. A manager like TM won't come cheap and will demand a transfer kitty to work with. What I don't understand is, why didn't they do all this sooner? Why not back Robins with a bigger budget when we looked half decent?

skybluetony176

I cant help but wonder if TM's appointment (once confirmed) adds fuel to the SISU selling in the summer rumour fire? A higher profile manager at the helm has to show that the club is being set up for a brighter future thus adding value to the club?

stupot07

I cant help but wonder if TM's appointment (once confirmed) adds fuel to the SISU selling in the summer rumour fire? A higher profile manager at the helm has to show that the club is being set up for a brighter future thus adding value to the club?

I doubt it, new owners nearly always sack the current manager and get their own man in.

2 + 2 = 42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Moff

If, and I say if until it is confirmed, Mowbray becomes our new manager then I think it is a shrewd appointment.

Whilst not being a name that immediatly sprang to mind when Pressley was sacked, if it is him to take on the role, then they are employing someone who plays good attacking football, and like Robins is hungry to get back into the game. This may mean we may be a stepping stone, but whilst we are a skint Division 1 club thats the way it is.

What I like about Mowbray is beneath the dour exterior is a man who doesnt like to take any shit, so should hopefully knock our pathetic owners into a bit of shape re budgets and signings. I also like the fact that he has drawn out the discussions to get the assurances he needs about the club, and to get what he wants from the job.
He would not take it, if he didnt have the chance of success and so lets hope he has pushed the uselss shites at SISU to get the best deal for him and the team and hopefully we shall see the benefits of this on the pitch as opposed to the turgid shit we have seen for most the current season.

ecky

I would be very wary of Sisu...something going on behind the scenes. They have history in not exactly being translucent in their dealings

Moff

I would be very wary of Sisu...something going on behind the scenes. They have history in not exactly being translucent in their dealings

Ecky, I think everyone is wary of them, lets hope that behind the scenes they are thinking of f*cking off.

rupert_bear

I doubt it, new owners nearly always sack the current manager and get their own man in.
But the new owners might already know they are to be the new owners, if you know what I mean. Perhaps I am looking for things in hope and too deep but something about all this starting with that youth coach leaving, then bringing in Dave Hockaday for a fortnight, then the sacking of Steve Pressley, then signing a couple of players with no manager in situ and if you believe what you read approaching Tony Mowbray just makes you wonder

steveecov

2 + 2 = 42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Not the no.42 again. Thought that bus had gone.:laugh:

steveecov

If, and I say if until it is confirmed, Mowbray becomes our new manager then I think it is a shrewd appointment.

Whilst not being a name that immediatly sprang to mind when Pressley was sacked, if it is him to take on the role, then they are employing someone who plays good attacking football, and like Robins is hungry to get back into the game. This may mean we may be a stepping stone, but whilst we are a skint Division 1 club thats the way it is.

What I like about Mowbray is beneath the dour exterior is a man who doesnt like to take any shit, so should hopefully knock our pathetic owners into a bit of shape re budgets and signings. I also like the fact that he has drawn out the discussions to get the assurances he needs about the club, and to get what he wants from the job.
He would not take it, if he didnt have the chance of success and so lets hope he has pushed the uselss shites at SISU to get the best deal for him and the team and hopefully we shall see the benefits of this on the pitch as opposed to the turgid shit we have seen for most the current season.

Haven't seen Blair yet. Bit harsh.

SkyBlueSid

I really do hope that Mowbray is the right man and gets City back to at least being a competitive team. I have more confidence in his ability than I ever did in Pressley when he was appointed.

Experience, however, shows that history is not in his favour. Over the last decade or more we have consistently appointed the wrong man for the job with the inevitable sacking once we conclude that nothing has improved. I presume that the delay in appointing Mowbray was down to agreeing on funds being made available rather than just his salary. But with our appalling owners it is highly likely that any promises made to him will be broken in the summer.

At the level we find ourselves, if Mowbray fails, he knows what awaits him. His CCFC honeymoon will be short. If he succeeds, no doubt he will be courted by bigger clubs, just as Robins was. That doesn't bode well for the long suffering fans, of course. I really, really hope he is the right man and that we can be challenging for promotion next season. It's the owners I'm more worried about.

steveecov

And I thought we'd survive(just) anyway.

So with a blank(ish) canvas to start with in the summer, it'll be very interesting who and where from he recruits.

Would be nice to get a proper TEAM again.

stupot07

But the new owners might already know they are to be the new owners, if you know what I mean. Perhaps I am looking for things in hope and too deep but something about all this starting with that youth coach leaving, then bringing in Dave Hockaday for a fortnight, then the sacking of Steve Pressley, then signing a couple of players with no manager in situ and if you believe what you read approaching Tony Mowbray just makes you wonder

We signed hockaday because the other guy left, it's not the first time we've signed a player when a caretakers been in charge (DMc under Shaw), and I believe Pressley was sacked due to poor results and dropping in the bottom 4, i believe it's nothing more than just a coincidence.

martcov

I really do hope that Mowbray is the right man and gets City back to at least being a competitive team. I have more confidence in his ability than I ever did in Pressley when he was appointed.Experience, however, shows that history is not in his favour. Over the last decade or more we have consistently appointed the wrong man for the job with the inevitable sacking once we conclude that nothing has improved. I presume that the delay in appointing Mowbray was down to agreeing on funds being made available rather than just his salary. But with our appalling owners it is highly likely that any promises made to him will be broken in the summer. At the level we find ourselves, if Mowbray fails, he knows what awaits him. His CCFC honeymoon will be short. If he succeeds, no doubt he will be courted by bigger clubs, just as Robins was. That doesn't bode well for the long suffering fans, of course. I really, really hope he is the right man and that we can be challenging for promotion next season. It's the owners I'm more worried about.
If Mowbray fails then that is it for CCFC..... Pressley failing could be put down to a relatively experienced manager trying his best in extreme conditions ( and unfortunately for him and us, not being up to it ), but Mowbray will have sought his "assurances" in advance having seen what happened to Robbins and, being experienced, will have no personal excuses if he fails. His failure, in this case, will be 100% caused by sisu - no more get outs for them. I hope Mowbray has set his terms - including investment in the team. In fact I am sure that is part of the deal - based on the fact of his experience and having observed what has being going on here. If he hasn't, and I am wrong, then I will eat humble pie, but he would be a fool not to have got some sort of investment promise from SISU.

rupert_bear

I see that stupot, Pressley just had to go and the rest could be what you say coincidence. Will be interesting if Hockaday gets a gig with Mowbray at the helm who has his own trusted men, I know Mark Venus is one.

torchomatic

Exciting times really. I'm wondering about Oggy. He's been here for years and always seems to keep his job no matter who comes in. To be honest, I don't think it would do the club to have a change of goalkeeper coach either, but we will see what TM wants to do, I guess.

I see that stupot, Pressley just had to go and the rest could be what you say coincidence. Will be interesting if Hockaday gets a gig with Mowbray at the helm who has his own trusted men, I know Mark Venus is one.

chiefdave

I'm happy with the appointment, better standard of manager than I thought we'd end up with. Let's hope this time next year we haven't got a similar thread about someone else.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I do think it's a good appointment. Wanted him before when we were searching for a new manager.

Just hope he's done his homework on this league during his time away. And knows what it takes to get out of it; goalscorers, tight midfields and strong defence!

He has one hell of a job on his hands!

And to think he's only 51 :eek: Tough paper round? ;)

#TonyMowbraysSkyBlueArmy

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Exciting times really. I'm wondering about Oggy. He's been here for years and always seems to keep his job no matter who comes in. To be honest, I don't think it would do the club to have a change of goalkeeper coach either, but we will see what TM wants to do, I guess.

I'm interested to know what will happen with Oggy too! Seems like he's been here since 1883 and time for a change maybe? ;)

That said, some keepers have definitely improved during their time with us - Allsopp, Murphy (he did get better and I was gutted he went by the time he left, yet wasn't keen on him coming in the first place....). Time will tell if Burge does the same.

chiefdave

I think Oggy is the least of our problems! He's not got a bad track record and most keepers seem to say very positive things about him when they move on to another club, usually to play at a higher level.

steveecov

If Mowbray fails then that is it for CCFC..... Pressley failing could be put down to a relatively experienced manager trying his best in extreme conditions ( and unfortunately for him and us, not being up to it ), but Mowbray will have sought his "assurances" in advance having seen what happened to Robbins and, being experienced, will have no personal excuses if he fails. His failure, in this case, will be 100% caused by sisu - no more get outs for them. I hope Mowbray has set his terms - including investment in the team. In fact I am sure that is part of the deal - based on the fact of his experience and having observed what has being going on here. If he hasn't, and I am wrong, then I will eat humble pie, but he would be a fool not to have got some sort of investment promise from SISU.

Really hope you are right. The only worrying thing is I doubt if any manager has ever come across a situation like CCFC and SISU.

Nick

Administrator
I am pretty sure that any manager wouldn't go into it with their eyes shut would they?

rupert_bear

Fuckin' hell ! We appoint a new manager, popular choice with potential and you wonder about fucking Oggy ! Bet you're a barrel of laughs at home ! Or will Oggy become your new scapegoat ?

Users who are viewing this thread