Mowbray (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

This! His settling into the club over & starting to perhaps make his mark seems to correlate with our significant change in fortune.
And I am saying this as someone that from the outset made it clear on SBT that I was not convinced by TM. The furthest I got was 'starting to believe' aound the end of October. But the turnaround has just been too dramatic & too sudden for me to believe it is simply TMs ability as a manager & his coaching staff.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

he has got previous for this sort of 2nd half of season slump.

ClarkeZ

Since when has a constant stream of new managers helped this club?
Every 9-12 months its seems the door revolves, the old guy who has lost all his form wonders out the door trying to figure out where it all went wrong and the new messiah struts in to pick up the pieces. Then 6 months later, the form dries up and he starts sweating too as the sky blue army start to sniff blood.

Seriously, we have a good manager, proven manager, who has taken a club who survived relegation to league 2 on the last day of the season to the point where dropping out of the playoffs is the worst thing that could ever have happened.
That's a pretty fucking startling turn around in my books. Barely scraping survival to being sacked for dropping out of the playoffs.

I know our early season form was excellent and we have 5 points from 30, 3 wins in 17 and all that. But who else is going to come in and why do we all assume it will just work again? Its not worked before, we've steadily gone from premier league to league 1 survival over however many years, so maybe its time we stuck with a manager for a change and let them try and drag it around. Is anyone else really going to jump in and absolutely ensure us promotion? Even if we did make it to the playoffs, can you really see us winning two legs and at Wembley? TM has proven he can bring players in, somethings not worked right now but a summer of transfers might just give him time to bring in the right players to fit his style of play.

Pipehitterz

last night was truely the first time i'd thought to myself
he aint going to turn this around

we came flying out of the box and could have been 3 up before we struggled and huffed and puffed to defeat

now im thinking we need a change, lately ive witnessed some performances that were so flat that they wer unbelievable to the eye, fleetwood for example, we played like we were jokingly playing bad, earlier on in the season when we went to sleep against the likes of swindon, doncaster at home, bury, oldham , scunny when we were so called good, all very poor performances

remember xmas when we were saying blip, and remember a week or so ago when the apologists were sayin, but we're still in the play offs??

one win in 16 is fatally criminal, pressley was better record with half a team than this

Nick

Administrator
He needs to do something, he needs to mix it up a bit and if we have to play scruffy to get results then that is what we need to do.

It is all well and good trying to play football "the right way", but when teams can counter act that and beat us every week it obviously isn't right.

stupot07

first 18 games
W11
D4
L3
F36
A19
pts 37
ppg 2.05
Position: 1st (3 points ahead of second, 7 points from 7th)

Last 17 games
W3
D6
L8
F21 (11 came in just 2 games)
A21
pts 15
ppg 0.88
Position: 8th (16 points from top, 12 from autos, 3 from playoffs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

steve82

He needs to do something, he needs to mix it up a bit and if we have to play scruffy to get results then that is what we need to do.

It is all well and good trying to play football "the right way", but when teams can counter act that and beat us every week it obviously isn't right.

Yes time for ugly football just to get points and get confidence back

Nick

Administrator
Agree, frustratingly last night Henserson came on and we seemed to play less direct than we had all game!

We had Fortune and Henderson up front, we should have done everything we could to get it into them to hold it up or to put it on their head. Last 5/10 minutes throw Martin up too.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Not good certainly and it does make you wonder how a whole squad can suddenly become so deflated, as it seems is the manager. That's surely not just about coaching and motivation by the manager is it?

I am not sure a change in manager at this stage would make any difference. There are as many appointments that don't work as do on this "new manager boost" theory - they just don't get so publicised

Also everyone keeps pointing out that such a slump has happened before a couple of times for Mowbray - "he has form for it" - out of interest how many seasons has it happened to CCFC. Seems to me CCFC are serial season killers. The CCFC "DNA" has something missing and has done for many years :thinking about:

Difference in the past is that we had generally survived because there was a back bone of battlers, scrappers, grafters, leaders - I don't see that in this team, that is down to the management team and the finance available to them.

Yes Mowbray should be questioned or criticised but so should the whole squad because they clearly have not got the minds in the right place. Or is it simply they have run out of steam. In the end in a league system over a season you end up where you deserve to be.

I think also that fans expectations got way ahead of themselves, we were warned that there was a long way to go and not to get carried away, but it is hard not to be isn't it when we were winning with some performances showing decent L1 standard football

need a couple of dour scrappy gritty results to steady the ship

just my tuppence

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

We had Fortune and Henderson up front, we should have done everything we could to get it into them to hold it up or to put it on their head. Last 5/10 minutes throw Martin up too.

It was Fortune putting the balls into the box, Lameires was too busy trying to take the ball through a wall of 3/4 players every time

steve82

Mowbray is still the man for me but he's gotta change his team selections and style of play. Look at LVG, his philosophy did him no favours at all! We need to change, mix it up just to end the season on a better note and form to take forward.
If TM should stay beyond this season and go for another then his recruitment really has to be spot on. Less loans, and players with experience. No has been players, just players who we can put a good base down for for 2/3 seasons.
Like he's quoted as saying "men variably get the job done". The core base of this team is too youthful, which we seen was electric when all is well. But now it seems things are flat with a struggle to see a game out or come back. So the recruitment needs to be the best it's ever been, and learn from this season where you could say his hands may of been tied in the time scale he had to get a squad of the right experience in due to players opting elsewhere or not avaliable.
We all know the scouting system was poor. Now we should be in a better position to get these players signed up as we have them on our data base and should no enough about players around our level or more gems like chris stokes.
We really need a leader too, ideally a hungry player with experience who can do the job on the pitch in the 90 mins.
Plenty to learn from this season and take forward.

matesx

Yes time for ugly football just to get points and get confidence back

ugly football? too many fairies in the team for that

if only we had someone like....oh i dont know.... Jim O'Brien?

Nick

Administrator
ugly football? too many fairies in the team for that

if only we had someone like....oh i dont know.... Jim O'Brien?

I'd get Murphy down one side, maybe Lamieres down the other and get them on the training pitch whipping crosses in for Henderson / Fortune. They just need to trouble the goalie, then any spillages then Armstrong will be there to put them in.

Otis

first 18 games
W11
D4
L3
F36
A19
pts 37
ppg 2.05
Position: 1st (3 points ahead of second, 7 points from 7th)

Last 17 games
W3
D6
L8
F21 (11 came in just 2 games)
A21
pts 15
ppg 0.88
Position: 8th (16 points from top, 12 from autos, 3 from playoffs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
And just 2 goals in the 4 games since putting 6 past Bury. One of those coming from a defender, Aaron Martin.

Silly goals away at the back, not scoring enough at the other end.

Hardly screams out 7 wins out of the last 11 games does it!

chiefdave

Boothroyd's team did.

Mowbray is:
P18 W11 D4 L3 PTS37
at which point we were top followed by:
P17 W3 D6 L8 PTS15

Boothroyd was:
P20 W10 D3 L7 PTS33
at which point we were 5th followed by:
P16 W1 D5 L10 PTS8

Of course Boothroyd didn't have the same first half of the season and was operating under a transfer embargo and with Orange Ken in charge! He also didn't lose 4 in a row.

dongonzalos

I'd get Murphy down one side, maybe Lamieres down the other and get them on the training pitch whipping crosses in for Henderson / Fortune. They just need to trouble the goalie, then any spillages then Armstrong will be there to put them in.

That would work

SlowerThanPlatt

Just found this on the internet about Mowbray's sacking at Boro. Remarkably similar.

'With a minimum of fuss, in his first season he guided the team back to the safety of mid-table, taking a creditable 51 points from the remaining 35 fixtures.' (kept us up last season, maybe a good short term manager)

'His first full campaign in charge saw Boro mount a genuine challenge for promotion before Christmas but a New Year slump left the club in seventh place overall, just one spot below the play-off zone.'

'Boro only won three of their final 21 fixtures, picking up just 12 points out of a possible 63.'

'But a failure to address an error-prone defence meant Boro were unable to capitalise on generally decent early season performances and Gibson finally decided it was time for a change.'

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just found this on the internet about Mowbray's sacking at Boro. Remarkably similar.

'With a minimum of fuss, in his first season he guided the team back to the safety of mid-table, taking a creditable 51 points from the remaining 35 fixtures.' (kept us up last season, maybe a good short term manager)

'His first full campaign in charge saw Boro mount a genuine challenge for promotion before Christmas but a New Year slump left the club in seventh place overall, just one spot below the play-off zone.'

'Boro only won three of their final 21 fixtures, picking up just 12 points out of a possible 63.'

'But a failure to address an error-prone defence meant Boro were unable to capitalise on generally decent early season performances and Gibson finally decided it was time for a change.'

Uncanny!

Nick

Administrator
Just saw this:

City's record eerily similar to Boro's in 2012-13. Top in November,top4 @Xmas,5 without win in Jan & 4 lost in March. Boro finished 16th!

Is it a lack of Plan B?

Otis

It is indeed. Surely he has enough about him and enough experience to have addressed that hasn't he?

I have loved the bloke and found him a breath of fresh air, but ever since I have learned about this Achilles heel he seemingly has, I have become very concerned.

If this is to be the 3rd time, part of me will think it will happen a 4th time next year.

If he stays and we are too 6 next Christmas, I will just be waiting for the slump.

Otis

Billy davies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> come on down
Billy Davies has had big fights with boards over funding squads and buying players and has even walked out.

If he came here he wouldn't last 5 mins and besides, he wouldn't come here.

Users who are viewing this thread