Murph will take paycut, but no offer yet (1 Viewer)

J

Jack Griffin

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/ill-accept-pay-cut-to-stay-joe-30248768.html

FORMER Ireland 'keeper Joe Murphy says he is willing to take a pay cut if it means getting a new deal from League One side Coventry City.

Dubliner Murphy was an ever-present for Coventry this season, playing in all 53 first-team games as the side managed to stay in League One, but the 32-year-old is out of contract and so far, a new offer has not yet been put on the table.

Having spent three seasons with City, Murphy is keen to stay, even if that means a lower salary.

"That's football and it's the same everywhere outside the Premiership and maybe the top four clubs in the Championship. I thoroughly understand and accept that. I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face," says the Finglas man.

"I've had three great years here and I like the manager, which is a big thing for a player. I like the lads who are young and hungry so we'll wait and see what the gaffer says. He might tell me there's nothing here for me.

"I'm hopeful because I've had three years here and feel I've done quite well here. It's a nervy time for players and their families but I have been in this situation three of four times before so it's nothing new.

"I've played about 500 games now and I want to play a few hundred more and have a good career, so it will be a massive decision for me over the next few weeks."

chiefdave

Doesn't seem good management by the club to have not even have made an offer yet. Not like we're going to get anyone else in. The earlier they start this sort of thing the more time there is to get it sorted and lower risk of the player or agent getting fed up of waiting around and moving elsewhere.

SkyBlueScottie

That's from a few weeks ago. It was in the telegraph, since then we have confirmed our league one status, and Pressley has spoken to all the players.

duffer

This is pretty poor, imho, but then I started thinking has anyone been offered a new contract yet?

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if everything is on hold until after the JR. Is the end nigh?

ccfcway

This is pretty poor, imho, but then I started thinking has anyone been offered a new contract yet?

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if everything is on hold until after the JR. Is the end nigh?

Read articles about Murphy, Moussa, Christie and Marshall in past few days / weeks

All say "speaking to players / agents", but to my knowledge none have said "offered a contract"

J

Jack Griffin

That's from a few weeks ago. It was in the telegraph, since then we have confirmed our league one status, and Pressley has spoken to all the players.

The article I referenced is timestamped today, so I assume it is up to date information – 06 May 2014 03:30 PM

Has there been an article saying he has been offered anything?

RFC

Doesn't seem good management by the club to have not even have made an offer yet. Not like we're going to get anyone else in. The earlier they start this sort of thing the more time there is to get it sorted and lower risk of the player or agent getting fed up of waiting around and moving elsewhere.

Having spoken to the player over the weekend, he said he wants to stay and was meeting with the manager on Monday to open negotiations, hopefully the outlook is good & positive. Just for a change!

James Smith

That sounds encouraging.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I genuinely think he is more than willing to accept a deal, as long as it's not too much of a pay cut. He's what, 32 maybe? He could quite easily move on for more money but I think he has his head screwed on and knows that at his age, he needs to be playing football. He's guaranteed first team football here, for atleast another season anyway, unless SP wants to go into the pre season with either no keeper or an untried one, or has someone else lined up.

I hope he stays. And we concentrate on our defensive line up

Having spoken to the player over the weekend, he said he wants to stay and was meeting with the manager on Monday to open negotiations, hopefully the outlook is good & positive. Just for a change!

Hold the press, hopefully the outlook is good and positive for a change? Thought we were never in such a good position, you aren't doubting the wonderful fisher and super sisu are you Pete?

J

Jack Griffin

Are you actually saying you spoke to Murphy over the weekend, because in the Coventry Telegraph on Sun May 04, 2014 15:59 Murphy was reported as saying ....
“There haven’t been any negotiations,” he said. “I spoke to Steve Waggott and the gaffer in November and they said there was something here for me, but since then I haven’t heard anything.

Or maybe, just maybe you are bullshitting?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobo

Do you read the Coventry Evening Telegraph by any chance? Or are you a double agent leftover from the Cold War?

Sba180

SP probably has spoken to the players, saying sonething along the lines of "SISU are adamant Youre worth more than a quid" or "keen to hold youre wages back fpr the nexr court date" followed by "Youre off!!"

Users who are viewing this thread