Musical tastes throughout your life (1 Viewer)

Otis

Reading the thread where people are talking about the first band they ever saw and the best gig they ever went to and the next one to come, got me thinking.

Have you always been a metal fan/punk/pop person etc, or have your tastes changed over the years?

For me, I was a big fan of the Beatles and Stones and Kinks and the Move in the 60's. Even though I was a very young kid. Then got into the glam rock scene in the 70's and loved Bowie and Mott the Hoople and Roxy Music. Also liked some hard rock too

Then went into the prog rock phase, where I really liked Yes and King Crimson and Gong and Gentle Giant etc. Then Queen.

Then....punk came along (I was still a teen) and it blew everything out of the water for me. I ditched pretty much everything apart from the 60's stuff and Bowie and the likes of Mott the Hoople in the 70's.

Got rid of my Yes albums and began to really dislike them and all of prog rock. Punk made everything so simple and it was like they were talking to me. No more tales of topographic oceans. This was real and personal and spoke about real problems in the real world.

Formed my own punk band and was mad for the Pistols, X-ray Spec, Clash, Stranglers, 999, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Blondie, Jam. Loved pretty much all of it.

Then I turned to new wave, but still embraced the punk. Heavily into Depeche Mode and Human League and New Order and Joy Division etc.

Anyway, still love all the 60's stuff, still love some of the glam rock and Bowie. Still love the punk and new wave.

The only one I really completely turned my back on was prog rock. The only one band I still have time for is King Crimson (plus Pink Floyd, because I feel they transcend all that)

I, overall, would consider myself an indie kid if I had to put a label on it.

But I do also like classical music, some jazz and blues too.

So, would you say you have stayed pretty much on the same path?

I have found that for some, once you are a rocker or metal head, you are always a rocker or metal head.

Oh and I hate soft rock. Bon Jovi drive me to utter despair. I really cannot stand them and they set my teeth on edge. 😂

SkyBlueScottie

3 bands have stayed constant likes throughout my life. Level 42, RHCP and Oasis ( also Liam / NGHFB). I grew up in the 80's so MJ and Madonna have been fairly constant also. Late teens / early 20's ( Oasis aside) it was dance music, I still believe that era was the peak of House / Dance music. So,never really been into a gemre of music as such. Like you say though, my uncle was a metal head still is... Also a Morris Dancer, an eclectic individual...

Otis

To add, my first single was Baggy Trousers, by Madness.
Fab record.

I have obviously missed loads of bands out that I like. I just wanted to give a general feel of things, but I love Kraftwerk, Devo, Nirvana, Two Tone stuff, the Foo Fighters, Radiohead....I could go on and on.

The only true genre I associate myself with truly is the 60's of the Beatles and punk.

My favourite band now is Depeche Mode though. Absolutely loving their new album. Best thing they have done for many, many years, even though I love pretty much everything they have ever done

They are my daughter's favourite band too, which is cool. We are off to see them in June at Twickenham stadium.

olderskyblue

Started with the Stones (after listening regularly to the bachelor’s… my dads favourite ugh)

but..then along came Sabbath.. wow

was into them, then Deep Purple, Taste, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, Bad Company, Free etc, a local band called Indian Summer, and…. Captain Beefheart :)

there were lots of others around that I liked too, Groundhogs, 3 dog night, Canned Heat, Moody Blues

Roxy music was and is a big favourite of mine. None of the punk bands did it for me, but when I met the wife, she got me into others like Supertramp, the Faces and… Rod Stewart.

My tastes started to be more “encompassing“ as I got into my 30’s

Cure, Eurythmics, Queen, Police, and then when I had kids, as they got to 7 or 8 years old, i liked some of the musics they liked, as I took them to concerts to
see them. Always like a live show, so even music I’m not particularly into, can be much better.

As my son got into his early teens, I became a fan of the music he was listening to and playing on his guitar. Nirvana, Green day, Blink 182 and Oasis.

I wasn’t into Hip Hop, but I like Eminem, and also appreciated the voices of some of the artists. (My daughters tastes)

later in life, we started listening to artists we’d missed over they years, or hadn’t appreciated the songs at the time, like the Specials, who we loved, and also watched live concerts of… Take That !! Actually impressed with them too. Really like Lady Gaga‘s voice and songs.

Saw Talking Heads, Pet Shop boys, and Erasure all live, and really enjoyed them all Too.

So, my music tastes have definitely widened over the years :ROFLMAO:

lots of great bands missed off this list, only due to my poor memory :unsure:

oh, edited to Add Foo Fighters, who are brilliant

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Always been a fan of rock music. I know that's a very large genre that covers all sorts of different music, but I like a quite varied range within it.

Loved the indie/Britpop era too, but then I was a teenager at the time. Have come to appreciate older stuff even more, but most modern music leaves me cold.

I didn't mind pop music when I was young but since I came to the realisation most of it's drivel designed to sell to young kids I find it dull. I can still listen to the stuff from years ago as it reminds me of certain moments etc, but as I have no such link with the new stuff I'm not a fan at all.

SAJ

In the 70’s started with T.rex. By 74 it was Mott the Hoople, Genesis, Be Bop Deluxe, Thin Lizzy and Queen. They got heavily into Punk then further into AC/DC Metallica, Iron Maiden and dice then stayed loyal to most forms of heavy rock.

SAJ

In the 70’s started with T.rex. By 74 it was Mott the Hoople, Genesis, Be Bop Deluxe, Thin Lizzy and Queen. They got heavily into Punk then further into AC/DC Metallica, Iron Maiden and dice then stayed loyal to most forms of heavy rock.
Have spent a fortune seeing GnR over the years.

skybluetony176

Metal was the first genre of music that got its hook in me at about the age of 11. Started by the British bands particularly Maiden and Saxon but also AC/DC. Missed the punk movement really as I was too young but got into a few bands later in life especially Buzzcocks and Ramones. I left school in 1989 and 2 years later grunge took off in a big way and I was just the right age to get it so it holds a special place in my heart. Although my favourite metal has to be thrash metal. Metallica of course but also Pantera, Prong, Anthrax to name a few.

The other genre I’ve always been a fan of is hip hop in its various forms. Def Jam being at the forefront in the early commercial days probably helped as Rick Rubin is a total metal head so metal was very influential in a lot of recordings under the Def Jam banner, most notably the Beastie Boys but Run DMC (even excluding Walk This Way) also used a lot of rock in their recordings and being drawn to a guitar riff was an easy hook for me. Although Gangster Rap is probably my go to, anything that’s had Dre’s hands on it is usually pretty good but the Boo Yaa TRIBE (May they all rest in peace) are probably my favourite group from that genre.

Getting older I’ve pretty much stopped finding new music interesting or if I find it interesting initially I tend to get bored of it quite quickly, Kasabian probably the most modern band that got my attention and kept it. These days I’m more interested in looking back at music, especially music that I was probably too young to get at the time which led me to finding out I’m a massive Joy Division fan, quite possibly my favourite band of all time. I also like exploring the bands that influenced the bands I like, and who influenced them, and who influenced them. From which I’m developing an appreciation of country and western (something I never thought I’d ever say, although It was always on in the background growing up, especially when in Ireland as all my uncles loved it) all the way back to bluegrass.

Basically over time I’ve come to the conclusion that you’ll always have your go to genres in music but if you like song it’s a good song regardless of age, genre etc. I’ve got everything on my ITunes from ABBA to Zeppelin and everything in between .

Otis

Oh, Be Bop Deluxe. Now there's a band I had forgotten about. 👍

Terry_dactyl

Reading the thread where people are talking about the first band they ever saw and the best gig they ever went to and the next one to come, got me thinking.

Have you always been a metal fan/punk/pop person etc, or have your tastes changed over the years?

For me, I was a big fan of the Beatles and Stones and Kinks and the Move in the 60's. Even though I was a very young kid. Then got into the glam rock scene in the 70's and loved Bowie and Mott the Hoople and Roxy Music. Also liked some hard rock too

Then went into the prog rock phase, where I really liked Yes and King Crimson and Gong and Gentle Giant etc. Then Queen.

Then....punk came along (I was still a teen) and it blew everything out of the water for me. I ditched pretty much everything apart from the 60's stuff and Bowie and the likes of Mott the Hoople in the 70's.

Got rid of my Yes albums and began to really dislike them and all of prog rock. Punk made everything so simple and it was like they were talking to me. No more tales of topographic oceans. This was real and personal and spoke about real problems in the real world.

Formed my own punk band and was mad for the Pistols, X-ray Spec, Clash, Stranglers, 999, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Blondie, Jam. Loved pretty much all of it.

Then I turned to new wave, but still embraced the punk. Heavily into Depeche Mode and Human League and New Order and Joy Division etc.

Anyway, still love all the 60's stuff, still love some of the glam rock and Bowie. Still love the punk and new wave.

The only one I really completely turned my back on was prog rock. The only one band I still have time for is King Crimson (plus Pink Floyd, because I feel they transcend all that)

I, overall, would consider myself an indie kid if I had to put a label on it.

But I do also like classical music, some jazz and blues too.

So, would you say you have stayed pretty much on the same path?

I have found that for some, once you are a rocker or metal head, you are always a rocker or metal head.

Oh and I hate soft rock. Bon Jovi drive me to utter despair. I really cannot stand them and they set my teeth on edge. 😂
This is a real coincidence, I was having an almost identical conversation with a friend earlier today…she was saying she went through a Goth stage for about 5 mins. We then started thinking about people who picked a scene and stuck with it.

Anyway, my music tastes have definitely changed over the years but rather than shed genres, I’ve tended to incorporate new ones. Albeit I seem to go through phases. Having said that, with the advent of Spotify playlists, nowadays my listening jumps about all over the place.

My first love were Fine Young Cannibals. Then In the early 90s I was all about Rock - a lot of Led Zepplin - /grunge /indie…but then started listening to House Music. This was basically all consuming for quite a while…I blame the influence of the eclipse, and nights out in Brum! Bakers in Fiveways anyone? Tend not to listen to too much dance music now but occasionally blast it out…although I reckon it dates quickly and I probably look like a right old fart.

I kinda was listening to Hip Hop a bit at this time as well and that took over for quite a while tbh. I listen to some of the newer stuff but I was all about Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Eric B and Rakim etc etc etc listened to a lot.

Alongside this and later on was still into things like pixies, and also Oasis, Blur and generally indie/rock.

Of course as a young Cov kid I liked The Specials and also Madness, and stuff my dad listened to…Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The stones, the who, 60s Soul and the like. All of Which I still dip into from time to time.

The stuff I can’t stand is stuff like Keane or Mumford and sons. I think it’s boring and it grates…but each to their own! Not sure I get on with Jazz either…although I’ve started listening to some classical music too.

Hertsccfc

Interesting thread Otis.

I think I started off quite like you but have since taken a bit of a different route. Other bands I liked early on included the Who and the Doors.

Also went through a period of liking things like Yes and Genesis but couldn't listen to them now, and don't really understand why I would have liked them originally. Still like some Pink Floyd, which has remained a rare constant (the Dave Gilmour inspired stuff as opposed to the Roger Walters rubbish).

Liked UB40, the Specials and Madness and still do to an extent. Went through a period of listening to bands like U2 and Simple Minds and the Police.

I also liked Van Morrison, but again can't stand him now. I also liked Eric Clapton for a while.

Started getting into blues and some jazz, including people like John Lee Hooker, Bobby Bland, Howling Wolf, BB King and still listen to this now, including more modern blues artists.

Early 2000s started getting into 'World' music, to start with mainly West African music such as Ali Farka Toure, Fela Kuti, Tony Allen, Orchestra Baobab. Also like Ethiopian jazz.

More recently got into South and Central American music, including some fairly obscure bands from Chile, Mexico and Columbia. I also like a lot of Eastern European music including Roma bands.

Can't deny I also like Adele and a lot of classical music too.

Last edited:

SkyBlueScottie

Another vote for Gaga here, insanely talented. Assure can belt out a heartfelt tune also, however i think she has taken a mis step with her Vegas residency, she would release an album, tour, then disappear. Leaving people wanting more. The Vegas residency has kept her accessible, and some of the recordings suggest her voice is struggling a bit also. Are there any albums which people like that siit outside of their favourite genres? 2 that came to mind for me while reading the thread were Smells Like Teen Spirit and Doggystyle by Snoop. Both great albums.

Otis

This is a real coincidence, I was having an almost identical conversation with a friend earlier today…she was saying she went through a Goth stage for about 5 mins. We then started thinking about people who picked a scene and stuck with it.

Anyway, my music tastes have definitely changed over the years but rather than shed genres, I’ve tended to incorporate new ones. Albeit I seem to go through phases. Having said that, with the advent of Spotify playlists, nowadays my listening jumps about all over the place.

My first love were Fine Young Cannibals. Then In the early 90s I was all about Rock - a lot of Led Zepplin - /grunge /indie…but then started listening to House Music. This was basically all consuming for quite a while…I blame the influence of the eclipse, and nights out in Brum! Bakers in Fiveways anyone? Tend not to listen to too much dance music now but occasionally blast it out…although I reckon it dates quickly and I probably look like a right old fart.

I kinda was listening to Hip Hop a bit at this time as well and that took over for quite a while tbh. I listen to some of the newer stuff but I was all about Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Eric B and Rakim etc etc etc listened to a lot.

Alongside this and later on was still into things like pixies, and also Oasis, Blur and generally indie/rock.

Of course as a young Cov kid I liked The Specials and also Madness, and stuff my dad listened to…Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The stones, the who, 60s Soul and the like. All of Which I still dip into from time to time.

The stuff I can’t stand is stuff like Keane or Mumford and sons. I think it’s boring and it grates…but each to their own! Not sure I get on with Jazz either…although I’ve started listening to some classical music too.
Yeah, I very much embraced hip hop too.

I liked the Keane first album, but would definitely agree with you on Mumford and Sons. Find them very bland.

RegiswasGod

My 3 constants that I have never moved from are Meat Loaf, Queen and OMD. But I have a very varied taste; Stones, Billy Joel, Bryan Adams, Van Morrison.... variety is the spice of life

bezzer

Grew up in the 70's and music tastes were quite varied. Listened to a lot of my parent's music - Beatles, Stones, Glenn Campbell, Mamas and Papas, The Carpenters before acquiring my own tastes -Blondie (my first single was Denis), Deep Purple, ELO and Queen. The 80's saw me get into Japan, Rainbow, The Cure, INXS (saw them all live) and Simple Minds.
The nineties was Oasis and a return to Deep Purple.
Since then not many artists have really got me, but I like a bit of Robbie, Coldplay and James Blunt.
Constants are Rainbow, Japan, Blondie and Queen.

Otis

I liked Coldplay at first, but now can't stand them. For me, if you ever want an example of a band selling out, it's them.

They went from indie darlings to being liked by grandmas and K Pop fans.

Loved Japan.

I just wonder if most Queen fans are also Muse fans too? There are obvious similarities at times.

Sbarcher

Prog Rock, now and always!

Boosh

My favourite artist when I was younger was one direction. Now my favourite is harry styles

ccfctommy

This is an interesting thread. For reference I am 35 and the first music I got into really as a kid was the Britpop era. I loved Oasis since my Dad bought me What's the Story? from Spinadisc records when I must've been about eight. I used to watch the Chart Show on Saturday afternoons religiously on ITV and was dismayed when County House beat Roll With It to number 1. I thought (and to an extend still do) County House and Girls and Boys were joke songs. The funny thing now is nowadays I much prefer Blur and I am very indifferent to Oasis.

Secondary school was very 'nu-metal', and I genially believed that Limp Bizkit were the best band in the world. I do remember seeing Papa Roach and POD when I was a teenager. Those were my first gigs but I had no rock concert attire to wear as I had no clue about trends and fashion! I wore a dark green Umbro t shirt over a Coventry City training sweater!

Later on in my teens, i seared away from the heavier stuff and started getting into bands such as The Strokes, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, The Cribs among others. I basically just watched MTV2 all day after school and listened to Zane Lowe's show on Radio 1 in the evenings. My dad's friends got me into The Smiths, Joy Division and The Clash as well. I still listened to some heavier stuff at the time namely Nine Inch Nails and Deftones, who Is till love today.

I guess things changed when my cousin Andy died. I think I must've been about sixteen. At his funeral they played Like A Rolling Stone, all seven odd minutes of it! I was blown away and started listening to Dylan followed by Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. Altogether, I probably have thirty CD's in my house of those three. Seeing Bruce live at the Ricoh as it was named then was a highlight.

Bringing it up to the present day - I guess I like everything! When lockdown came and I was working from home, I probably listened to loads of new and classic albums (Youtube is brilliant for this) and lots of BBC 6 Music. Really struggle when people ask me what kind of music I'm into. I mean, where do I start? I really didn't think ten years ago that I would enjoy the music of Kacey Musgraves, REO Speedwagon, Kendrick Lamar etc. Last week, I was driving home and there was a jazz show on Hillz FM. I paid no attention to jazz music but I found myself tapping my foot (not on the accelerator!) to it.

I guess a good song is a good song - I was really snobby when I as younger about music that didn't involve instruments. I love hip hop and electronic music now. Imagine thinking Kraftwerk and De La Soul wasn't proper music!

shmmeee

I think it’s a sign of maturity. Had a Uni professor who did some research on music who swore blind there’s no technical difference between genres and all good songs share similarities and genre is just personal preference.

I was also a guitar snob as a kid, I’ll listen to anything now from thrash metal to pop to hardcore dance. Still can’t stand RnB though!

Otis

This is an interesting thread. For reference I am 35 and the first music I got into really as a kid was the Britpop era. I loved Oasis since my Dad bought me What's the Story? from Spinadisc records when I must've been about eight. I used to watch the Chart Show on Saturday afternoons religiously on ITV and was dismayed when County House beat Roll With It to number 1. I thought (and to an extend still do) County House and Girls and Boys were joke songs. The funny thing now is nowadays I much prefer Blur and I am very indifferent to Oasis.

Secondary school was very 'nu-metal', and I genially believed that Limp Bizkit were the best band in the world. I do remember seeing Papa Roach and POD when I was a teenager. Those were my first gigs but I had no rock concert attire to wear as I had no clue about trends and fashion! I wore a dark green Umbro t shirt over a Coventry City training sweater!

Later on in my teens, i seared away from the heavier stuff and started getting into bands such as The Strokes, The White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, The Cribs among others. I basically just watched MTV2 all day after school and listened to Zane Lowe's show on Radio 1 in the evenings. My dad's friends got me into The Smiths, Joy Division and The Clash as well. I still listened to some heavier stuff at the time namely Nine Inch Nails and Deftones, who Is till love today.

I guess things changed when my cousin Andy died. I think I must've been about sixteen. At his funeral they played Like A Rolling Stone, all seven odd minutes of it! I was blown away and started listening to Dylan followed by Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young. Altogether, I probably have thirty CD's in my house of those three. Seeing Bruce live at the Ricoh as it was named then was a highlight.

Bringing it up to the present day - I guess I like everything! When lockdown came and I was working from home, I probably listened to loads of new and classic albums (Youtube is brilliant for this) and lots of BBC 6 Music. Really struggle when people ask me what kind of music I'm into. I mean, where do I start? I really didn't think ten years ago that I would enjoy the music of Kacey Musgraves, REO Speedwagon, Kendrick Lamar etc. Last week, I was driving home and there was a jazz show on Hillz FM. I paid no attention to jazz music but I found myself tapping my foot (not on the accelerator!) to it.

I guess a good song is a good song - I was really snobby when I as younger about music that didn't involve instruments. I love hip hop and electronic music now. Imagine thinking Kraftwerk and De La Soul wasn't proper music!
Some great taste in there, Tommy. 👍

Mcbean

@Otis we could be similar aged - i started on heavy rock and Prog and saw the Who , Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult , Nugent , Kiss etc , went onto punk as i was at school in London in 76 - saw a lot of the punk bands ( not in the mosh pit) built up a massive record collection then went to college in the sticks and saw bands at smaller venues but great fun Buzzcocks , Straycats , Alex Harvey , Cure but had no time to play music as was playing women - then started work in Coventry and started to go to the bigger venues again , the vinyl had disappeared into the loft and i was buying CDs in volume enjoying prog and rock again , the arrival of the ipod meant i could have music at anytime and i tried to get everything i had including back on digital and now i play music every night and most days - favourite album is still Dark side of the moon with Quadraphenia a close second

went last week to a performance of Dark Side by a local band in St Marys Church Warwick , with a great Lazer show it was packed to the rafters they had to turn 150 away - loved it

- three seminal concerts over the years - Queen at Hyde park in 86 ,Pink Floyd at Earls Court 94 , Status quo in the tent at the Bulldog bash 2007 with a mention to the Stones at the Ricoh

fernandopartridge

My own music tastes, so heavily influenced by sharing a house with siblings:

First songs I really recall liking and singing in the car:
Wonder Stuff - Size of a Cow
REM - Shiny Happy People

The Shamen, KLF and Prodigy to a lesser extent back then!

Shared a room with my older brother from early to mid 90s so loved Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, Charlatans etc but also Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and the Clash and Sex Pistols (amongst a lot more)

Later

Generally similar to above but:

Love lots of Synth Pop music (which I think is Britain's supreme contribution to the pop music world)

Lots of connected music to the above

Terry_dactyl

Ah yeah…The Strokes! I still listen to them and enjoy some of their new stuff. My mate saw them when they first toured in London. Reckons a the time people were offering him £500+ or something for his ticket.

David O'Day

First single was by the inspiral carpets, old man has a big Bowie and 70s rock collection

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread