My Thoughts From Today (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Not a bad game per se, a little flat, but both teams tried to play football. We looked toothless throughout and desperately need a striker to partner Juke. That said Leicester didn't look like a team who have spent £10m and some of the credit for that has to go to us.

We were well on top when it was 10 V 11 and if it had stayed that way we would have won. Once we went down to 10 and Leicester got a second wind and their goal, we never looked like troubling their goalie, let alone scoring.

A couple of things we were doing well seem to be missing today as well: the fullbacks seemed reluctant to get forward and offer and option, which led to a lot of back to square one from the flanks. The diamond only works if the fullbacks can offer the width missing from the lack of wingers and today they didn't

Also the midfield 3 of Bell, Clingan and Bigirimana played far too close to the back line for my liking. If I was Thorn I'd tell Clingan to do the job of getting the ball from the back line and Gael and Bell to push up and offer options.

We had real trouble penetrating today mainly because of the lack of options going forward, whether it was intentional due to the opposition or individual players making that decision I don't know.

Player Ratings:

Murphy - 6: Couldn't see enough of the goal to see if he could have done better, but it was my first time seeing Murphy in Sky Blue and he looked a decent replacement for Westwood. If nothing else the distribution from the back was 100 times better than the last 3 seasons. We gave away far less of the ball with a keeper who doesn't just lump it forward at every opportunity. Didn't have a huge amount to do, but did it well enough.

Christie - 7: Grew into the game and by the end looked like one of our better players. His defensive positioning needs some work (as can be expected from an Academy player) but he didn't look out of place and I wish he had the confidence to go on a few more runs like he did in the first half.

Cranie - 6: Was solid enough, fairly good distribution from the back, and had a good understanding with Keogh which meant some calm defending under pressure.

Keogh - 7: Still think he looked better once moved to RB, but was probably our best defender today. Got his head to a lot and his pace was an asset at times.

Hussey - 6: Was disappointed that he didn't get forward more today. Slowed our momentum far too often by checking back instead of looking for a forward pass. Was always an option though, and especially from goal kicks we should have used him more.

Clingan - 7: Probably my MotM. Did the simple things well and kept the ball moving. Another player who checks back rather than looking for the forward pass too often, but does the water carrier role very well. In a midfield with other playing further forward I probably wouldn't have any complaints about him.

Bigirimana - 7: Can only remember him giving the ball away twice: once when the ref missed a blatant knee in his back at a throw-in and he headed the ball out and once when he was the last man back at our corner and nearly gave the ball away, but recovered with a last ditch tackle. Tidy is probably the best way to describe him, always looking for the ball, always comfortable receiving it and has an awareness of his teammates that means he always knows where he can get rid of the ball. Deserves to be in the team on merit alone and if Gunnar was still here I's still pick Gael ahead of him.

Bell - 6: Get the fuck forward Bell! You're an attacking player, a goal scorer and creator, yet too many times today he was back with the back four picking the ball up and playing keep ball with Sammy. Needs to do his work further up the pitch for us to be effective. That said did what he had to well enough, but I lay the blame for our lack of attacking effort at his feet as our attacking playmaker. Nearly scored with a great shot in the first half, which just goes to prove my point further.

Baker - 4: Was OK for the first 35 minutes, kept the ball, beat a couple of men but (like the rest of the team) no penetration when it mattered. Then made a really stupid mistake that, let's be honest, cost us the game. Having only seen it once I'd say a red was a bit harsh, but the ref had set his stall out by sending off the Leicester player. With the game at that stage and the ball in that area of the pitch there was no need to attempt that challenge. Silly silly boy.

McSheffrey - 6: Couldn't tell if he was supposed to be a striker or a midfielder when we had 11 men. Didn't do much really, has lost his pace and ability to beat a man, can't shoot from distance for toffee and didn't really do much of anything. If this is the guy supposed to get us goals this season we're in trouble. He needs the protection of two proper strikers and without it is bullied out of the game too easily.

Jutkiewicz - 7: Lead the line on his own really well, but missed a proper partner to play with. Needed support all game and just didn't get it. Had a couple of good chances that he made himself, but was always fighting a one man battle.

Thorn - 6: I've giving him a 6 because there were too many players refusing to go forward for it not to have been at his direction. Leicester were not good enough to warrant that reaction and we lost the game mainly because once we got past the center circle we had no bodies forward and invariably came back again. A bit more courage and we could have gone in at half time ahead and probably won the game.

Fans - 4: 21 thousand for this game is a disgrace, massive gaps all over the stadium and generally very quiet throughout. It took all of 30 seconds for me to hear the first "get it FORWAARRRD!!!". Must do better.

Overall we're not as bad as many have made out in pre-season, we matched the favourites for promotion and badly missed a striker. ALF or similar is vital, or we should have played O'Donovan from the start. The kids are alright and I wouldn't worry about them at all. Get in a partner for Juke and keep that team fit and we'll be OK, we won't set the league alight, but we won't prop up the table either.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Ok just my thoughts on the game.

Both sides were fairly poor and you can tell it was the first game of the season, difference between the sides was one set piece but apart from that we matched Leicester which isn't saying much tbh.

We were too predictable in our play. This is how each attacking move happens. Tippy tappy football between Keogh, Cranie, Sammy and Gael. Full backs get high up and the ball is passed to the full backs. Full backs then do 1/3 things
1. They pass back to the CB
2. They try to take there man on
3. They pass inside to one of Baker, Bell or Mcsheffery
With scenario 1) this is one step forward 1 step back, I understand if the opposition player is right on top of the full back then they can pass back to the CB but too many times the full back had space today and to many times it was passed back. It is sort of a mentality I don't know what to do here you take the ball and do something.
Scenario 2) Either full back loses the ball or he manages to get a cross in but nobody is in the box
Scenario 3) Baker, Bell or Mcsheffery lose possession.
Too many times we take the safe pass rather than the risky pass.

Another thing are chance creators are not good enough, in this system Baker, Bell and Mcsheffery take the burden to create chances and simply they are not good enough. These are League 1 / low championship players at best. Mcsheffery touched the ball about 10 times and the other two I don't have much to comment on. I thought Mcsheffery played that role well at the end of last season but in 2 times I have seen him this season he has been awfull.

Player ratings
Murphy-7
Christie-6
Cranie-6
Keogh-6
Hussey-6
Clingan-6
Gael-7
Baker-3
Bell-5
Mcsheffery-4
Juke-7

This is not a criticism of Thorn simply the players at his disposal are not good enough.

Leicester are a decent team but if we stay up imo Thorn has done a good job.

Also I agree on your point with Gael and Clingan they seemed to want to play the same role at times.

Gray

all this lovely passing is all well and good but theres no end product, we wouldn't have scored with the best striker in the world today

stupot07

Mcsheffery was playing as a striker until we went down to 10 men, then played in the hole, ad in second half wide right in a 3-5-1

shmmeee

all this lovely passing is all well and good but theres no end product, we wouldn't have scored with the best striker in the world today

It's not about the passing, it's about players having the bravery to make a move ahead of the ball. Too many of our players refused to take a gamble today. We wouldn't have done any better with Hoofroyd tactics either as we simple didn't have enough bodies in the final third. Keeping the ball is the right thing to do, the opposition can't score without it, but it requires players like the fullbacks to go past their winger and the midfield to move up and support the strikers, neither of which happened today.

stupot07

That's a bit harsh, a decent striker will have better movement creating angles and spaces. As well as giving defenders something to thing about it. The only difference to the team that finished so well last season was king and gunna and clarke not in the line up. We'd have been far more dangerous with king in the side today.

shmmeee

Mcsheffery was playing as a striker until we went down to 10 men, then played in the hole, ad in second half wide right in a 3-5-1

That was kind of my point. If he was a striker he didn't gel with juke at all and didn't offer him the out ball he needed so often. If he was a midfielder he didn't get involved enough and didn't make anything happen. He's a luxury player, and when it became 10 v 10 we should have taken him off for someone who actually impacts the game.

shmmeee

That's a bit harsh, a decent striker will have better movement creating angles and spaces. As well as giving defenders something to thing about it. The only difference to the team that finished so well last season was king and gunna and clarke not in the line up. We'd have been far more dangerous with king in the side today.

Yeah we missed King massively.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Got to agree with your summing up and marks Shmmmee with maybe a 5 for McSheffery. Thought he was anonymous today. He started as a frontman with Juke and it does not work McSheffery simply doesnt know what runs to make to be able to work with Juke. Looked better dropping back but simply not good enough

Also got to pick up on your comments about the support. The group of blokes behind me in the first 2minutes had moaned and groaned, yelled get it forward three times, shouted rubbish twice, decided Juke didnt move enough , that the number 3 was useless, plus why were we playing kids ! So it went on, entitled to their opinion, but sometimes it would be good to hear something positive - it never came. Can only hope they are not season ticket holders because the season will be long enough as it is!

shmmeee

Got to agree with your summing up and marks Shmmmee with maybe a 5 for McSheffery. Thought he was anonymous today. He started as a frontman with Juke and it does not work McSheffery simply doesnt know what runs to make to be able to work with Juke. Looked better dropping back but simply not good enough

Also got to pick up on your comments about the support. The group of blokes behind me in the first 2minutes had moaned and groaned, yelled get it forward three times, shouted rubbish twice, decided Juke didnt move enough , that the number 3 was useless, plus why were we playing kids ! So it went on, entitled to their opinion, but sometimes it would be good to hear something positive - it never came. Can only hope they are not season ticket holders because the season will be long enough as it is!

To be fair I'd agree with a 5 for Sheffers, but I don't rate him so always try to compensate for my bias.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's not about the passing, it's about players having the bravery to make a move ahead of the ball. Too many of our players refused to take a gamble today. We wouldn't have done any better with Hoofroyd tactics either as we simple didn't have enough bodies in the final third. Keeping the ball is the right thing to do, the opposition can't score without it, but it requires players like the fullbacks to go past their winger and the midfield to move up and support the strikers, neither of which happened today.
I agree totally, I think last season Gunnarson done this well at times. Taking the ball from deep midfield and driving forward with it taking in into the attacking third.

Nonleagueherewecome

Worried that we only looked good against 10 men. Concerned that we are like a team of Ray Wilkins' (nickname The Crab..)-all we do is pass it backwards or sideways. I'm not advocating a return to Hoofroyds tactics, but to quote him, "it's about the right ball". We did not play the right balls today (maybe a couple by Sammy and Gael).

Worried that AT got the 2nd half wrong in terms of shape, and possibly the starting line-up: I don't really see Sammy and Gael in the same side (yet), as they occupy the same areas. Having 2 DM's meant we lacked options higher up the pitch. Bell and Baker seemed to be playing in the same position at times. Sheff was in a kinda drifty wide striker role, has put on loadsa weight and can't get involved unless in "the hole". All told, this was miles away from our cohesive shape last season where everyone knew their role-and even from pre-season, when Sammy and Gael didn't play together much. Lots of hesitancy, and the safe option of passing backwards was usually taken, even when we had a man advantage. We get to the oppposition area, then turn around and go backwards...

Worst of all..we were good at the start of last season because we were usually by far the fitest team on the pitch. Today, everyone looked knackered by half-time; yet we were the side playing with a numerical advantage for most of that time. I know we've had our fitness coach poached by Liverpool. That can't be helping. Neither can AT's "enjoy yourself, have a beer" attitude to discipline. We look around 5 games off match fitness.

My Ratings

Murphy-6. Great throws and superb kicking. Arguable he releases the ball too quickly-the Baker red was a scramble for the ball after one such incident. Claimed crosses well, but with unconvincing handling. Didn't even move for the goal or the shot that hit the post. Westwood saved us a goal every game (literally!) with a stunning save that he had no right to make. I don't see Murphy doing that, and he didn't today.
Christie-6. A couple of decent runs and some ok passes, but looked hesitant, and final ball was poor. Touch doesn't look as good as Clarkes. Great prospect, but I'd be more comfortable with Keogh there and one of our many CB's in the middle. Ideally McPake ASAP!!!
Keogh-7. Led the backline well, some good distribution, one of our better players. Didn't drive forwards from CB as he did last year, perhaps due to the space being occupied by 2 DM's in Sammy and Gael.
Cranie-5. Some very sloppy passing and looked sluggish. Out muscled a couple of times.
Hussey-5. Not one of his best games. Lack of support from the front 3 means that he had very little outlet or options around him. Beaten along with Bell for Leicesters best first half chance. Couldn't really use his crossing as he rarely had a target in the area.
Sammy-8. Our only midfielder to tackle and block (Baker red aside!). Passed incredibly well, some of which were perfect balls, but seemed confused by our shape-Gael was almost in his way at times, as they were in the same position. Several times he checked and changed decision where last season he'd have just done it. In general, bloody miles ahead of any other player we have.
Gael-6. Some great stuff, especially first half, when his touch and passing were superb. 3 very penetrating balls first half, but needs to try forward passes into the area more often. His tackling was as bad as his passing is good, and he faded badly second half. Didn't seem to know what to do when we went a goal down. Was guilty of marking space a lot and treated somewhat like a traffic cone by the Leicester players 2nd half. Lucky to get away with raising his hands just after the Leicester red-ref completely ignored it, despite being 3 feet away.
Bell-5. Moved around in position too much and not his usual standards. When he did come deep 1st half looking for the ball, he and Baker seemed to be getting in each others way. Didn't have McSheff in the hole to link with, faded abysmally 2nd half. Din't make a meanigfull tackle all game. Probably wasn't match fit, looked a yard off the pace, but we ddn't have other options. Stunning first half shot and 2 or 3 cracking passes 1st half stop him from being a 4.
Baker-5. Ducked out of 3 50-50 tackles first half. Didn't dribble at the Leicester defence at all. Wheras as Bell, Gael and Sammy passed instantly, Baker took a second to decide what to do-by which time any space had been closed down. Didn't help Hussey much. Unlucky with red IMO-that was the ref evening things up.
McSheffrey-4. Was that McSheffrey, or was he wearing a Freddy Fatsuit?! Didn't seem to know what his position was. Had no zip and offered zero goal threat. 2 decent moments-linking with Hussey on the right in first half, (resulting in a cross that ended up exactly where he needed to be!), and his run 2nd half-followed by terrible balloning shot over the bar. One of the worst performances I've ever seen from him and alongside Bell the most unfit player on the pitch. Hard to tell if he can contribute up front when he's in such poor condition.
Lukas-7. Showed strength, battled, and was our only real goal threat. Lovely lay-off pass 2nd half and our best 2 efforts on goal. He can't be expected to do it all on his own..Gawd help us if his injury is serious.

Subs:
O'Donovan-6. On too late, but did look our fastest player. Deserved to start after pre-season.
Wood-6. Didn't do anything wrong.

Ref: Darren Deadman-1. What a weak-willed twat. Evened the game up with a red after not booking Bamba for a minute-long tirade (no doubt telling him he was biased against Leicester).

EDIT-ALMOST FORGOT! Man Of The Match: The squirrel,9. Showed pace and hunger. Got wide well, hugging the touch line, and was the only City player to penetrate the Leicester defences regularly. Sadly missed after he disappeared. He was promised nuts by SISU, but when they failed to materialise, he was offski just like King and Gunnar. Hope he's back soon!

Last edited:

stupot07

That was kind of my point. If he was a striker he didn't gel with juke at all and didn't offer him the out ball he needed so often. If he was a midfielder he didn't get involved enough and didn't make anything happen. He's a luxury player, and when it became 10 v 10 we should have taken him off for someone who actually impacts the game.

To be fair to him, he hasn't played up top for 5 or 6 seasons, even the season before we sold him to Brum he played left wing.

shmmeee

To be fair to him, he hasn't played up top for 5 or 6 seasons, even the season before we sold him to Brum he played left wing.

Yeah but there's a damn good reason for that: he's not a very good striker. Sheff came good after moving to a position where he can find space and pop up with a goal. That's why the hole suits him so well.

@nonleague: I wouldn't call Gael a DM to be fair, he doesn't get stuck in like I'd expect a DM to, he's more a CM, but I totally agree that he (and Bell) was trying to do the same job as Clingan today. That's for Thorn to sort out. He has to be clear about the roles each of the midfield play and make sure the players understand what is expected of them. I think Gael would actually be better in the Gunnar role than the Clingan role having seen him. Still want to see Thomas in there though.

Otis

Worried that we only looked good against 10 men. Concerned that we are like a team of Ray Wilkins' (nickname The Crab..)-all we do is pass it backwards or sideways. I'm not advocating a return to Hoofroyds tactics, but to quote him, "it's about the right ball". We did not play the right balls today (maybe a couple by Sammy and Gael).

Worried that AT got the 2nd half wrong in terms of shape, and possibly the starting line-up: I don't really see Sammy and Gael in the same side (yet), as they occupy the same areas. Having 2 DM's meant we lacked options higher up the pitch. Bell and Baker seemed to be playing in the same position at times. Sheff was in a kinda drifty wide striker role, has put on loadsa weight and can't get involved unless in "the hole". All told, this was miles away from our cohesive shape last season where everyone knew their role-and even from pre-season, when Sammy and Gael didn't play together much. Lots of hesitancy, and the safe option of passing backwards was usually taken, even when we had a man advantage. We get to the oppposition area, then turn around and go backwards...

Worst of all..we were good at the start of last season because we were usually by far the fitest team on the pitch. Today, everyone looked knackered by half-time; yet we were the side playing with a numerical advantage for most of that time. I know we've had our fitness coach poached by Liverpool. That can't be helping. Neither can AT's "enjoy yourself, have a beer" attitude to discipline. We look around 5 games off match fitness.

My Ratings

Murphy-6. Great throws and superb kicking. Arguable he releases the ball too quickly-the Baker red was a scramble for the ball after one such incident. Claimed crosses well, but with unconvincing handling. Didn't even move for the goal or the shot that hit the post. Westwood saved us a goal every game (literally!) with a stunning save that he had no right to make. I don't see Murphy doing that, and he didn't today.
Christie-6. A couple of decent runs and some ok passes, but looked hesitant, and final ball was poor. Touch doesn't look as good as Clarkes. Great prospect, but I'd be more comfortable with Keogh there and one of our many CB's in the middle. Ideally McPake ASAP!!!
Keogh-7. Led the backline well, some good distribution, one of our better players. Didn't drive forwards from CB as he did last year, perhaps due to the space being occupied by 2 DM's in Sammy and Gael.
Cranie-5. Some very sloppy passing and looked sluggish. Out muscled a couple of times.
Hussey-5. Not one of his best games. Lack of support from the front 3 means that he had very little outlet or options around him. Beaten along with Bell for Leicesters best first half chance. Couldn't really use his crossing as he rarely had a target in the area.
Sammy-8. Our only midfielder to tackle and block (Baker red aside!). Passed incredibly well, some of which were perfect balls, but seemed confused by our shape-Gael was almost in his way at times, as they were in the same position. Several times he checked and changed decision where last season he'd have just done it. In general, bloody miles ahead of any other player we have.
Gael-6. Some great stuff, especially first half, when his touch and passing were superb. 3 very penetrating balls first half, but needs to try forward passes into the area more often. His tackling was as bad as his passing is good, and he faded badly second half. Didn't seem to know what to do when we went a goal down. Was guilty of marking space a lot and treated somewhat like a traffic cone by the Leicester players 2nd half. Lucky to get away with raising his hands just after the Leicester red-ref completely ignored it, despite being 3 feet away.
Bell-5. Moved around in position too much and not his usual standards. When he did come deep 1st half looking for the ball, he and Baker seemed to be getting in each others way. Didn't have McSheff in the hole to link with, faded abysmally 2nd half. Din't make a meanigfull tackle all game. Probably wasn't match fit, looked a yard off the pace, but we ddn't have other options. Stunning first half shot and 2 or 3 cracking passes 1st half stop him from being a 4.
Baker-5. Ducked out of 3 50-50 tackles first half. Didn't dribble at the Leicester defence at all. Wheras as Bell, Gael and Sammy passed instantly, Baker took a second to decide what to do-by which time any space had been closed down. Didn't help Hussey much. Unlucky with red IMO-that was the ref evening things up.
McSheffrey-4. Was that McSheffrey, or was he wearing a Freddy Fatsuit?! Didn't seem to know what his position was. Had no zip and offered zero goal threat. 2 decent moments-linking with Hussey on the right in first half, (resulting in a cross that ended up exactly where he needed to be!), and his run 2nd half-followed by terrible balloning shot over the bar. One of the worst performances I've ever seen from him and alongside Bell the most unfit player on the pitch. Hard to tell if he can contribute up front when he's in such poor condition.
Lukas-7. Showed strength, battled, and was our only real goal threat. Lovely lay-off pass 2nd half and our best 2 efforts on goal. He can't be expected to do it all on his own..Gawd help us if his injury is serious.

Subs:
O'Donovan-6. On too late, but did look our fastest player. Deserved to start after pre-season.
Wood-6. Didn't do anything wrong.

Ref: Darren Deadman-1. What a weak-willed twat. Evened the game up with a red after not booking Bamba for a minute-long tirade (no doubt telling him he was biased against Leicester).

That was ridiculous. How on earth did Bamba not get a red card for what you quite rightly say was in essence a tirade. Most refs would have booked him and if he then had continued he would have been shown a second yellow. Disgraceful. From that point on the ref lost any respect.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I also think the negativity around the club despite what the players and staff say has leaked into the players and affected there performance. The players looked less confident that they did at the end of last season. Like I said if 2/3 of Bell, Baker, Mcsheffery had actually turned up today I think it would have been a completely different game. Looking forward to seeing Deegan return to the team, hope he can carry the ball forward and act as an attacking outlet from midfield when he returns.

stay_up_skyblues

Agree McSheff looked slow and unfit, he had a decent chance to run onto a pass at one point in the game and it was a sprint between him and the Fester defender twice his size and he beat McSheff to the ball for fun, he really has lost his pace.

Bell was dissapointing and Macca may aswel not been on the pitch.

Thought Juke ran his socks off as usual and did well as the only player slightly resembling a forward.

Brigimana's passing range and accuracy was something special, he cant tackle but that boy can spot a pass like ive never seen from a City player. No doubt he will be loaned out or sold by the end of the season.

Murphy did allright, the header for the goal was right in the side of the goal and nobody would have saved that one.

Thought Keogh was very good ay centre half, looked tired by the time he moved to RB.

Nonleagueherewecome

Keogh was odd at RB, like he was playing at CB..he's not had much preseason thime at RB, we can't expect him to switch position and not be effected. In fact our formation all game was vague and uncertain, at the start being a kinda 4-2-2-1-1 (the old, defensive Brazil formation). That's very different in reality to the 4-1-2-1-2 that was working so well.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Keogh was odd at RB, like he was playing at CB..he's not had much preseason thime at RB, we can't expect him to switch position and not be effected. In fact our formation all game was vague and uncertain, at the start being a kinda 4-2-2-1-1 (the old, defensive Brazil formation). That's very different in reality to the 4-1-2-1-2 that was working so well.
It seemed like some sort of variation of the 4-2-3-1 formation?

I was quite surprised how well we knocked the ball around today, one rash challenge from baker and the fact we had no end product though was our downfall. Even if baker had stayed on i could not see us scoring with that team for hours and hours. I know its stating the obvious but if we dont sort that out quick we are fucked. Eastwood will not be the answer so think again SISU and get at least a prven outlet before you destroy our club.

howzer

Banned
the problem i see is that w will not be able to improve on that, i think they played their best today and there lies the problem, by the end of this month teams are at full pelt, i just dont see how it can get better for us. if that is the only way they can play we are screwed, they were so predicatble, the passing was overcooked, no forward movement, no shots on goal unless it was a pot shot at 30 yards. never looked like scoring. they overused the left flank up top and trying to pass the ball through defence to midfield was at times attrocious. I am sorry to the positive brigade, i can understand there must be optimism, but we were terible for a home side 11 against 10 after 10 minutes against a side that had 7 new players and no time to gel. you know as well as i do if we were half way through the season we would have been slaghtered today. got to say aswell i was late out the ground and almost every leicester supporter was saying 'how we didnt get 3 or 4 past this lot i dont know! believe me most of them were dissapointed by the result, i listened to talksport and some one on there was saying we look like pure cannon fodder and 2 to 1 looks good value from the bookies. so it wasnt only me that was not impressed at all. at least there is a chance we will improve.

rob9872

I thought we looked ok for the most part but played at the pre-season tempo with no cutting edge. More than just a striker short, not sure what the answer is but lacking in height, experience, strength and firepower. Shame for the manager and the guys on the pitch, but its going to be a long season. We can't really do much to influence it but need to try our best to enjoy it.

SkyBlue_Bear83

the problem i see is that w will not be able to improve on that, i think they played their best today and there lies the problem, by the end of this month teams are at full pelt, i just dont see how it can get better for us. if that is the only way they can play we are screwed, they were so predicatble, the passing was overcooked, no forward movement, no shots on goal unless it was a pot shot at 30 yards. never looked like scoring. they overused the left flank up top and trying to pass the ball through defence to midfield was at times attrocious. I am sorry to the positive brigade, i can understand there must be optimism, but we were terible for a home side 11 against 10 after 10 minutes against a side that had 7 new players and no time to gel. you know as well as i do if we were half way through the season we would have been slaghtered today. got to say aswell i was late out the ground and almost every leicester supporter was saying 'how we didnt get 3 or 4 past this lot i dont know! believe me most of them were dissapointed by the result, i listened to talksport and some one on there was saying we look like pure cannon fodder and 2 to 1 looks good value from the bookies. so it wasnt only me that was not impressed at all. at least there is a chance we will improve.
We were nowhere near as good as we was at the end of last season. I still believe AT with a couple of loans can keep us up. Leicester should not have scored 3 or 4, I agree we were poor but leicester for the majority were equally bad imo.

JGazebo

I am not understanding the good press for Hussey, who despite ending last season looking pretty useful, I thought was hopeless today. Yes, he put a few decent crosses in (3 I think) but apart from that was stationary on the ball, and 95% of the time passed backwards whether there was an attacking option or not.

Juke was our most positive player, but was stranded without any service for the most part. Not sure if having Marlon there would have made any difference personally. There was an overall lack of going forward and lots of sideways passing.

By the last 15 minutes I think the team was beaten psychologically, there was no going back despite the subs.

Also, slightly off topic, the tannoy announcer was appalling. His voice is so low the announcements just got lost in the other noise around the ground.

shmmeee

Again it's not that we didn't attack because we passed sideways, we passed sideways because we didn't attack!!

I agree that we looked beaten pretty much as soon as the goal went in though. No bravery today, we missed a Carsley, King or Morrison to run about shouting at people.

ashbyjan

The Carsley point is a good one, especially with a couple of youngsters in the team we need a strong leader who can guide them, cajole them, praise them but we have lost that. Sammy is not a natural leader and cannot see anyone in that team who is - maybe Keough?

rob9872

Unsure if Keogh is the man either but you don't need the armband to do it. If you're on the pitch and its in you, then you would do so regardless. I think Wood is the only natural leader but he is not assured of his place.

ajsccfc

Anyone who attended the Norwich kickabout last week can tell you that Murphy's got a gob on him. Agree with Rob that the armband shouldn't be needed, the more communication the better.

Nonleagueherewecome

I think it's partly the players character as well as a lack of experience. We had 2 young men making pro their debuts, and Hussey in his first proper season, and aside for Sammy we didn't have a leader out there. Last season we had Carsley, King and Westwood-3 particualrly vocal and experienced internationals.

When the red happened, you'd have thought we'd conceded a goal. We were shell-shocked for some time, looked meek, and nobody tackled all game apart from Sammy.

This side is crying and for a Braveheart James McPake and Mad Dog Gary Deegan! We need some bite, fire, strength and anger in the team!

Users who are viewing this thread