Net Spend (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I agree with everything in this, but quite honestly some of MR's decisions this year have completely baffled me, and IMO this hasn't helped the situation. The first game of the season we made 3 substitutions in one go, 2 of which were totally untried, when we were well in control of the game. 3 points tossed away there IMO.
Some of the team selection and continuity since then has been like pre-season training games, where a manager tries out different players and systems to see what works and what doesn't.
One of the key ingredients of a successful team is continuity.
Jut a point about that final sentence.

A successful team has continuity BECAUSE they're successful. Not because they just stick with something and eventually it works out. They change things when results aren't going well and once they start winning they stop changing

Hincha

A lot of our signings will look better post-January if we sign a competent number 8. Similar to when we signed Matty James (once he got up to speed) in the first season in the Championship.

Seaside-Skyblue

You give them the same time they’ve taken to build squads before. We didn’t hit form early in L2, first season up L1 was a misfire from a squad perspective. Agogo and Brown and Chaplin FFS. First season up in the Champ we looked dodgy as fuck until Matty James arrived.

We’ve taken at least half a season if not a season to adapt to moving the squad up a level each time. It’s Robins way. Now it may be that this is the bridge too far, but it’s too early to tell. We’ve got the money to keep rebuilding and reshaping over the next two windows. Then we’ll know really.

I could see us flipping some of the signings from last summer, and having quite a different lineup next year. We won’t go down. Robins has shown that if that comes close we will go tight and grind out points. But we aren’t close to as bad as we were first season up so I really don’t think that’s a danger unless that changes.

What’s happened is we’ve lost the two best game winners in the division, two of the better CBs, and our rock steady captain has (understandly) faltered a bit.

We need to rebuild, it may not happen overnight. But Robins has shown that generally he gets us there over a two year period. Panicking now and heading back to the days of Coleman and Thorn is just mental to entertain.
Spot on. People are always learning a developing in their jobs and football is no different, let Robins learn with these new players, make mistakes, adapt and figure things out, he will get us moving in the end as he always has. This is just another project with new players and new system which he's clearly tinkering with and there is always going to be some trial and error. I know people want instant success but in most cases it's just not reality....some people are playing too much football manager I suspect

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Ashdown

I would argue we underachieved last year. With vik and gus one international class we should have done better and would have if not for the start
A start handed on a plate to us by a corrupt load of pricks who should never have been allowed to buy the stadium in the first place .

Sick Boy

The other thing I’d say is people ask “would you trust Robins with the money?” I’d counter: “What about King makes you trust him with a managerial appointment?”

There’s every possibility that a noob chairman has been over charged in his first dealings with other clubs. And he’s not shown himself to be someone who either understands football on a deep level or is willing to take advice from those who do. I’d be very worried about an “instant success” style appointment tbh.
Good and fair point.

Personally, I’m quite concerned that we have someone running the club with next to no experience. Didn’t he admit when he took us over he hadn’t watched a game in something like 10 years?

shmmeee

Who's making that case? Anybody suggesting to sell Wright in January is a bona fide idiot

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I don’t think anyone is. But lots of people talking about “admitting failure” like personal ego should come into it at all. Some signings don’t work out and should be rectified as quickly and cost effectively as possible, surely?

napolimp

I don’t think anyone is. But lots of people talking about “admitting failure” like personal ego should come into it at all. Some signings don’t work out and should be rectified as quickly and cost effectively as possible, surely?

I wonder when Sheff Utd are going to rectify McBurnie.

skybluecam

I wonder when Sheff Utd are going to rectify McBurnie.
People moaning on here about spending £10m on Wright and Simms, Sheff Utd spent £40m on McBurnie & Brewster and they are shocking.

Wright already has as many league goals as Brewster in less than half the games!

CCFC88

I am annoyed by people saying we spent £20m or whatever this season, like that is all that has happened transferwise. Yes we have spent that, but we have also lost £35m of talent, so in reality the net spend so far is -£15m ie the value of the squad is £15m less.

I think we well overacheived last year and lost an exceptional midfielder and one of the best strikers we, or anyone else outside the prem, have had in a long time. I am as disappointed as anyone about how some of the new signings are playing at the moment, but whether we spent the money well or not is another matter.

We have spent £20m to replace £35m it isnt happening yet, is anyone really surprised?
We lost more than £35m out of last seasons squad, Doyle (£10m+) McNally(£4m+), JWE, BNC, Panzo would all also attract fees if they were moved on from parent clubs.

Rebuilding on last years squad is a big job that requires patience and if done properly will rightfully take more than 1 window.

We did overacheive, it was a poor league outside of Burnley and we just squeaked into the playoffs

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Everton just docked 10 points! Wonder if there is any connection with Simms transfer?

Welcome to the real world Everton, just suck it up. 😭

Probably win the appeal and get it reduced to only -5 points.

Grendel

Welcome to the real world Everton, just suck it up. 😭

Probably win the appeal and get it reduced to only -5 points.

It’s not real world - it’s make up rules as you go along

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, ffp is devised by the bbiggest clubs to try and stop others gatecrashing their party - it's anti competition.
Yeah, letting oil states buy the game for sportswashing is much better. Bizarre argument that we should be whoring every club out to the highest bidder

NorthernWisdom

Yeah, letting oil states buy the game for sportswashing is much better. Bizarre argument that we should be whoring every club out to the highest bidder
Because the Man Utd approach is noble, and a bastion of morality.

Yeah...

If anything, blame the likes of Man Utd for insisting clubs could be listed on the stock exchange, blame them for insiting the split of gate receipts be skewed towards the home teams, and blame them for just wanting to keep their commercial advantage to minimise risk to their owners' investments. And this forgets the fact that they're only there in the first place because some uber rich person of their day chose to spunk a fortune to artificially inflate their position.

Bit nonsensical to suggest that club wanting to challenge the status quo are the bad guys in this really.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Because the Man Utd approach is noble, and a bastion of morality.

Yeah...

If anything, blame the likes of Man Utd for insisting clubs could be listed on the stock exchange, blame them for insiting the split of gate receipts be skewed towards the home teams, and blame them for just wanting to keep their commercial advantage to minimise risk to their owners' investments.

Bit nonsensical to suggest that club wanting to challenge the status quo are the bad guys in this really.
Who spent billions to enable Shankly, Clough and Revie, to name just 3, to challenge the status quo? All we have now is Man City winning the league every season. But we’re meant to be praising their oil sheikhs for displacing Man Utd-are we to praise the head choppers at Newcastle for doing the same?

Also while we talk of anti-competitive leagues, look no further than the Championship.

Grendel

Who spent billions to enable Shankly, Clough and Revie, to name just 3, to challenge the status quo? All we have now is Man City winning the league every season. But we’re meant to be praising their oil sheikhs for displacing Man Utd-are we to praise the head choppers at Newcastle for doing the same?

Also while we talk of anti-competitive leagues, look no further than the Championship.

Yet you seem to want Luton relegated

Cally Fedora

Bit ironic that in the same thread there is an argument that we underachieved last year because we had stellar Robins signings in Gyokeres and Hamer in the squad alongside posts that say he shouldn’t be trusted with transfers

Users who are viewing this thread