New number one needed (35 Viewers)

torchomatic

Neither him or Wilson have that save it at all costs mentality that the best have.
Despite the clean sheet thing, I would still get shot of Wilson and keep Collins as number two as he has shown some qualities and is a good stopper. Then again, what do I know? I wanted us to get rid of Burge and keep Charles-Cook (still think I was right on that one).

MalcSB

That's completely ignoring the benefits it gives you though.

I suppose by that logic we should revert to 442 big man little man route one cross it in the box since we can't possibly sign good footballers on our measly budget.
What benefits would they be that outweigh the number of goals conceded due to a lack of goal keeping core skills? ProbaBly approaching 10 this season, perhaps more.

It makes me think about the number of times we have been denied by what we have thought was an outstanding performance by an opposition keeper. Perhaps we were wrong, perhaps those are the levels to be expected and we just have set the bar very low based on our keeper’s abilities.

shmmeee

The problem is that what you need from a keeper now is a different skill set. We probably all think make saves, take crosses etc. But they are now required to play as some sort of pseudo sweeper. And are signed due to that skill. It’s a terrible tactic for a start and also means you’re accepting poorer core keeping skills.

A keeper might make 3 or 4 saves in an average game. But they’ll play ten or twenty or more passes. And it’s not a terrible tactic. Wanting to smash it up the pitch and lose the ball every time is a terrible tactic.

Brighton Sky Blue

A keeper might make 3 or 4 saves in an average game. But they’ll play ten or twenty or more passes. And it’s not a terrible tactic. Wanting to smash it up the pitch and lose the ball every time is a terrible tactic.
He’ll also have to claim quite a number of crosses into his box which Collins is very mixed at.

clint van damme

Why would you go for a goalkeeper who is virtually 40?

AsI said on another post, if we do look at a keeper, I think it will be a cheap and short term option.
Can't see us using funds to invest heavily in another keeper,though personally I would.

skybluecam

What benefits would they be that outweigh the number of goals conceded due to a lack of goal keeping core skills? ProbaBly approaching 10 this season, perhaps more.
You think 20% of our goals are keeper errors? lol

The benefit is essentially having an extra player in possession when compared to a keeper who can’t use his feet. I hope I don’t have to explain why that’s a good thing.

Hertsccfc

Very similar to that appalling half arsed punch v Southampton.

Wilson should start next game.
Oh I had forgotten that. Then there's the appalling goal at Huddersfield. Don't know why people rated him so highly.

Wilson has to come back in. Problem is we have Collins on a long term contract.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is the mentality that currently sees us with as many backup keepers as backup centre halves. At some point we need to break the addiction and put our faith in someone.
We have Collins on a long term contract. Put the work in with him to get him where we want him to be

MalcSB

You think 20% of our goals are keeper errors? lol

The benefit is essentially having an extra player in possession when compared to a keeper who can’t use his feet. I hope I don’t have to explain why that’s a good thing.
Last few games, 2 v Hull, 1 v Man Utd, at least 1 v Birmingham, 1 v Southampton. That’s 5 without thinking too hard about it or reviewing the whole season. What you have done by putting a percentage in it is to show just how bad it has been.

Brighton Sky Blue

Last few games, 2 v Hull, 1 v Man Utd, at least 1 v Birmingham, 1 v Southampton. That’s 5 without thinking too hard about it. What you have done by putting a percentage in it is to show just how bad it has been.
You can add in the Huddersfield one as well

clint van damme

This is the mentality that currently sees us with as many backup keepers as backup centre halves. At some point we need to break the addiction and put our faith in someone.

Every keeper that's been dropped has been the right decision. There's probably an argument that Robins persevered for too long with Moore.

Collins is making horrendous errors, I'm not sure persevering is the right way to go.

skybluecam

Last few games, 2 v Hull, 1 v Man Utd, at least 1 v Birmingham, 1 v Southampton. That’s 5 without thinking too hard about it or reviewing the whole season. What you have done by putting a percentage in it is to show just how bad it has been.
Which goal was Collins fault vs Man Utd? Deluded.

Brighton Sky Blue

Every keeper that's been dropped has been the right decision. There's probably an argument that Robins persevered for too long with Moore.

Collins is making horrendous errors, I'm not sure persevering is the right way to go.
I think it is for next season and if by the end of it there’s no improvement then we look elsewhere.

MalcSB

Which goal was Collins fault vs Man Utd? Deluded.
Many on here said he should have done better with the low cross for the first, but even if not the Huddersfield one has been added, Mr Collins. You must be deluded to defend him to such an extent.

Boicey

I’m not sure you can coach aggression or the absolute will to keep a striker out even if it hurts you.
I think we’ve seen enough of Collins and we’ve had enough fannying around. We need a much better and assertive keeper to help settle the whole defence down.

AOM

Quoted my own post just on the Brad Collins thread, but seems apt here. Should we look at the coaching before we repeat the mistakes?

Not quite upper Championship level, but I always liked Marosi. Thought he looked pretty decent pre-season against us as well

Users who are viewing this thread